Whats wrong with my Brute force?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 08 Brute force 650, this summer I was 4x4ing my quad and sunk my quad in the water. It got water into the motor through the exhaust pipe then into the engine oil. So i was driving back to camp to change out the oil and it started running on one cylinder. Now i cant get it to run on both cylinders. It sit there and idles good on both but when you give it gas it bogs out. Some times it wants to run but then pops and dies back to one cylinder. It has spark on both plugs and is getting gas to both carbs, and i can see the gas going into the motor when its running. Has anyone had this happen? Is it possible for the timing chain to jump? Any thoughts or info would be great! Thanks

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ran it with dirty water in the oil...... I don't know I'm an Electrician not a mechanic.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you ran a Kawi v twin with water in the oil , the needle bearings on the crank are done. You will have much greater problems than running on one cylinder,down the road.....................

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would agree with rzr you can't run a brute with water in the oil need to change right a way . tear it down u might save the crank, mains are cheap

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^x3 they don't like water... You should never run any engine with water in it. Especially the kawi motors

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^X4, sounds like the engine is pretty much pooched. As soon as a brute is swamped you have to have it towed back or do a couple oil changes right there if you have the oil.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any v twin does not like water.. my 07 800 got water in it.. never started it.. towed back.. changed oil 9 times.. (no joke )... got 1/2 day on motor and DONE ! rebuilt time ! if you can get a v twin to live after water injestion, you should be in the guniess book of world records...lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I herd that the v twins don't like water. I was just hoping for the best! I just understand why it won't run on that one cylinder, it's like you flipped a switch off. And it seems to run better with the choke on to. I guess it's time to pull it apart! What kind of money does it cost to redo these motors? My brother is a heavy duty mechanic so labor won't be an issue. Thanks for the good news everyone! Lol

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to add snorkels to your to do list,it might of saved you a bucket of cash.............................

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may want to add snorkels to your to do list,it might of saved you a bucket of cash.............................

That's what got me into this mess is the snorkels! "I can go go through there I have snorkels!" But I got stuck and quit running when I was getting the winch line out. It came in though the exhaust. I need the exhaust snorkel.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get water in the exhaust , winch it to safety , get a bud or two to help you and stand it on it's tail long enough to have a beer and your good to go lol

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check that the carb has no water in it. I have had this happen on single cylinder quads where there is a small amount of water in the carb and the bike will idle fine but when you give it gas it sputters. Change the oil as many times as it takes till there is no sign of water in the oil and change the oil filter and hope for the best.

09xp850le

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull the head off the cylinder that isnt running and see if your valves hit the piston. since it was running you may have a bent valve or two

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found out what the problem was, the timing chain jumped one tooth. But I am not going to fix it, cause like everyone says the motor is done! Found a used motor I am going to put in it and hopefully it's good.

Top Bottom