What's The Real Fix?

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
I put the fix kit in my 09 RMK last year seemed to run smoother and maybe a bit snappier. Now I got about 7-800 miles on it and the engine light is coming on after 10-15 miles of riding. If u slack off it goes out and if u don't catch it then it goes into limp mode..I changed fuel filter and cleaned exhaust valves but no change. Havent had time to take it in and haven't had good luck with dealers in the past, so I was hoping someone on here could help me out.. Its all stock except the fix kit... Thanks...

pthfndr

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, But not to the problem of the polaris dragon! I have an 08 800 163, I went through 8 engines including the updates that came out until 2011 never got more than around 600 miles on any of them, I finaly installed a fuel controller and put a set of spi/spx pistons in it, has ran flawlessly since for over 1500 miles, unlike the polaris pistons that started losing power after the first ride everytime, I really like the look and fit of the spi/spx pistons compared to the stock and you can see a noticable difference when they are in the cylinders.

good luck with whatever you try :)

Newgen

Reaction score
Just pulled the chord after the fix kit for the first time last night. We really loaded up the bottom end with oil, so after we ran the oil out we tried a few things and it really seemed to idle like it did before. A bit better sounding but not 100%

I then grounded everything better and changed the voltage regulator, pulled the chord and WOW, brannew sled!! Idles way better, runs in reverse with no problems and just sounds like it is in a better mood!!

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah after I got my sled back, there was a very noticeable difference in throttle response and power. I must have had low compression for a little while, (mind you I didnt get to ride too much last year), but it definetly feels quite a bit snappier, and sounds a lot better.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, But not to the problem of the polaris dragon! I have an 08 800 163, I went through 8 engines including the updates that came out until 2011 never got more than around 600 miles on any of them, I finaly installed a fuel controller and put a set of spi/spx pistons in it, has ran flawlessly since for over 1500 miles, unlike the polaris pistons that started losing power after the first ride everytime, I really like the look and fit of the spi/spx pistons compared to the stock and you can see a noticable difference when they are in the cylinders.

good luck with whatever you try :)
1500 km is not bad for stock pistons u have any pics
what do they look like now through the y pipe
have u done a comp test lately

Newgen

Reaction score
So is the final step of this rebuild to get the '08 map put in it? I've had guys say it runs fine with just the hardware (fix kit) done. "Just pull the chord and drive it.

And I've also read quite a few people on here say to get the 08 mapping for sure.

I wish the interweb was only full of the truth lol!!!

pthfndr

Reaction score

Have not had to have a wrench on it since I put the Spi/spx pistons in it , but will be if it makes it to the end of the season, but i am not worried it runs perfect still , no loss in rpm's or power, so like i said way better than the stock pistons, mine would scuff almost right away and then downhill from there, was very tired of it, 8 engines. 2 or three were updated fixes, the rest were the pistons, was a good thing I got 3 years warranty on it. the crank made it over 4000 miles though even through all the top ends, I thought that was impressive for all that abuse ! I will check the compression here in the next few days though and see what it's at .

Newgen

Reaction score
Does anyone have Chris's contact info at parkland? I'd love to call and pick his brain about this.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

If that's true I can't believe that anyone would buy stock pistons for a rebuild. That's not even close to what the life of a piston should be.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was quoting pthfndr he said he put spi pistons they r like stock (cast ). i have the fix kit just want know all options a lot of peaple
only run cast pistons and some say forged are the best

Top Bottom