whats the deal

falk

Reaction score
hey can any one tell me what the deal is about riding in the ditches i thought as long as you got papers and you are not chaseing down some old farmers cows you are good to go and not on private land but the ditches is crown land and some time cops will pass and sometimes they stop you but every cops got a different story

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you got the papers you should be ok, if they stop you, it should be just to check if you have everything you need.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I all depends on where you live. Most cases if you travel in the same direction as the traffic on that side of the road and if you ride in the ditch as straight and even as possible. I mean not going from fence line over and put a ski on the pavement zig zagging through the ditch is a NONO:nono:. Just keep it going at a controlled speed try not to pass cars in the ditch even if you can. The idea is NOT to draw attention to you and to not cause confusion to the drivers on the highway. YOU ARE a distraction being in the ditch the most at night. If you want to be sure you can apply for a permit from your local transportation office. And above all it depends on the RCMP officer. If you get pulled over STOP dont try to outrun. Outrunning just pees them off and you will pay for stupidty. Easier to beg forgiveness that to ask permission

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey can any one tell me what the deal is about riding in the ditches i thought as long as you got papers and you are not chaseing down some old farmers cows you are good to go and not on private land but the ditches is crown land and some time cops will pass and sometimes they stop you but every cops got a different story

Depends on municipality. For example: Strathcona, Leduc, Wetaskiwin, Camrose NOT OK. Parkland - encouraged. Others very - check with the county office. Only problem with parkland is the ditches are packed harder than concrete - every last inch.

Re - cops and different rules. Cops move around lots, and plus patrolling off road vehicles is not a big priority for many of them unless the residents are complaining big time. Bottom line, some just don't know/don't care. As glen said, play nice and attract less attention is good for the sport. No pipes, watch speed, watch high beams at night etc, try to lower your perceived presence. Cops respond to residents complaints, the more the complaints the more they will patrol. In truth, they would rather leave us alone if everyone was at peace. Ok, was that a bit of a rant? </rant off>

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I got stopped 2 years ago at Bon Accord by a county mountie not the RCMP he said he coulda gave me a ticket for ridin the ditch he said I was to stay 200 meters from any highway unless I was crossing, but instead I got a ticket for no registration 2 days after it expired I thought I had it but no sticker and no papers (in the truck) I said i'm 100% possitive it was done but he refused to call it in and gave me a ticket for not have the card on me, turns out the wife didn't do it :eek: and where did he catch me?? ....at the fuel pumps with the nozzle in the tank :realmad:....not that I woulda headed for the 1st open field ;)
and last December Lac St Anne quad rally RCMP were writing tickets for anyone who rode down the highway ditch.....but the trail went down county roads and through town but that was ok :rolleyes:....if I remember LeftyQ's son got a ticket from riding the ditch

so I dunno best is to hear from the horses mouth give them a call

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In Strathcona county (Sherwood Park Alberta area for those who don't know), it is a violation to ride ANY ditches anywhere. $230.00 fine, I know i've been charged. However, riding on approved lakes or trails (snowmobile club approved) is allright if you have purchased a trail pass.

The sad truth is that our privilege to ride pretty much anywhere is no longer a privilege, it is an offence. How sad is that?

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ditch up to the fence line is considered the highway. That is what the conservation officers told me this summer when stopped on my quad.:nono:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
The ditch up to the fence line is considered the highway. That is what the conservation officers told me this summer when stopped on my quad.:nono:

So what do they do (Conservation Officers) when they come across a horse back rider in the Ditch ???? Lift the horses tail to check for registration & insurance !!! Things sure Wacked.... Cannot operate on the road,In the Ditch,On the field, Soon the will have a Highway patrol officer on the River if not already. :rant: :confused:

steveo

Reaction score
I got stopped 2 years ago at Bon Accord by a county mountie not the RCMP he said he coulda gave me a ticket for ridin the ditch he said I was to stay 200 meters from any highway unless I was crossing, but instead I got a ticket for no registration 2 days after it expired I thought I had it but no sticker and no papers (in the truck) I said i'm 100% possitive it was done but he refused to call it in and gave me a ticket for not have the card on me, turns out the wife didn't do it :eek: and where did he catch me?? ....at the fuel pumps with the nozzle in the tank :realmad:....not that I woulda headed for the 1st open field ;)
and last December Lac St Anne quad rally RCMP were writing tickets for anyone who rode down the highway ditch.....but the trail went down county roads and through town but that was ok :rolleyes:....if I remember LeftyQ's son got a ticket from riding the ditch

so I dunno best is to hear from the horses mouth give them a call

When Lefty Q's son got pulled over was for not having a plate on the sled....and also i think he did not have the registration papers on him.I don't think he got a fine....... they gave him a warning.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is really twp issues here.... three if you count Catman's horse.

Highways (provincial responsiblity) are treated differently than county/municiple roads.

To run a motor vehicle on a highway it must be street legal as defined in the Motor Vehicle Act. A horse is not a motor vehicle and therefore does not need to meet the Motor Vechile Act. If the Province has maintenance responsiblties on a road/highway then it safe to say a sleds/ATVs cannot be ran on the road/highway or the right-of-way.

County road are must be checked as each County may or may not allow sled and atvs on their roads and if they do the rules are written differently. Where it is allowed generally the rules are to ride on or near the right hand ditch at a reasonable rate of speed while following all the other rules of the road, including insurance and registration.

Towns such as Whitecourt and Grande Cache (unless recent changes have been made) allow the use of the sleds/ATVs on streets to leave home and go to the outskirts of town in the most direct route or via designated routes.

Hope this helps clear the issue up.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whitecourt only allows Sleds between Dec01 and April 31...Not ATV's. no trail system for ATv's and they are real hard on the sled trails.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whitecourt only allows Sleds between Dec01 and April 31...Not ATV's. no trail system for ATv's and they are real hard on the sled trails.

Ya, I'm wrong again.:(
Heres the actual bylaw if'n anyone can understand it.

I think it says offroad vehicles from Dec 01 'till March 31

falk

Reaction score
well i guess we will see i have everything i need for the 08 m8 snopro exept the snow but that will come and i guess if things go sour i can always play dumb

Top Bottom