What's the best bang for my buck?

brad6

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a couple quads for the wife and I. Probably don't need anything too crazy. Neither of us had a quad before (sleds only for me). I kinda lIke the looks of the yammy big bear or griz in the 400 -450 range would be a good starting point us. Most riding would touring around while camping and the odd mud. Not really brand biased just looking where to start and what to look for and what stay away from. I don't know if I should go new or used cuz the wife's not sure if she's gonna like it. But don't want to fixing someone's old POS. let me know your thoughts or past exprience

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If buying used you could get a grizzly 550 or 700. Even the 660 is a good quad. I would not go any smaller then that for yourself. You will want to go bigger quickly. Your wife would be happy with a 450 Kodiak. I would suggest can am as the new ones are a great quad but I wouldn't buy an older one myself. I wouldn't buy polaris neither. Too many issue on the older ones. Just my opinion. Really depends on your budget.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned big bears, grizz, 500 artic cat and now have one canam for boy and 700 efi artic cat for wife and a 650 artic cat for me and are all great machines, I like to use kitty for work and seem to last the longest, I would go with any in the 400 class with the best deal out there. There are some great deals on hondas at riverside and are 400 I think, let me know if you want more info on them I can stop in or call Salesman Rob at 780-458-7227 and get info....good luck

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best bang for buck on a brand new quad is the Polaris value line hands down. Nicest quads on the market are Can-ams and probably the most reliable are the Grizzly.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know the O.P. stated he was lookin at quads....but why not a rzr?? For the same price as 2 quads, and the wife won't have to drive if she doesn't want to! One machine less maintenace.... suggest rzr 570 maybe???? Just sayin my 2 cents worth!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or.....a 2 up quad. That's what the wife and I have gone to now and we love it. We actually argue over who gets to ride on the back. I'm not talking about a regular quad with a seat added to it though. That's just dangerous!

Having said that.....my last one was a Suzuki 400 Eiger. It was friggin' awesome! I'd recommend it as a one up quad to anybody!

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08 Honda 420es. :thumb: It's been a great quad.... easy to ride and drive. Has all the power I want/need !! The smaller size makes it easier to trail ride and go around things verses bigger quads !! These Hondas are bullet proof and I have had no issues with mine (owned since new). When we go for day rides, my "buddys" take gas, tools, oil, etc...I take my lunch and a camera.... and enjoy the day !! Love my Honda !!

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
The Honda 350's are great machines. Only drawback to them is the crappy drum brake system, which is typical Honda. I got a manual shift 2002 and it goes everywhere my grizz 700 does. Just not as fast. The 420 rancher, which replaced the 350, comes with disc brakes and efi and I think ps as well. They make about 8 different model combinations, and I believe a standard tranny is still an option for them. Not a real fan of their push button automatic crap. The Yamaha Kodiak 450's aren't to bad. There's the can-am outlander or renegade 500 H.O. Only prob I see with them is the spar frame design they use and if its been ridden hard, it may cause problems for ya. Older Polaris, unless its an xp model, I would stay away from just cause of reliability issues I've heard of. Don't know much about Suzuki or Kawasaki's in smaller cc ranges.

Mike s

Reaction score
420 Honda great starter quad , lots a power great wheel base for climbing & handling ,very reliable ,for some one starting out , had mine for 3 years loved it , my wife & daughters loved it , never had a problem with it. Brothers wife has one too for hunting& fishing , same thing , no problems goes any we're they want to go . Only reason I sold it, went to razor , kids grew up sold all my quads weren't being used . Plus the razor is way more fun lol

ChrisG

Reaction score
The honda 420's are great quads. When we go out for rides my wife drives her dads 420 and has no issues handling it. Anything bigger than that and she feels she isnt able to control it. I would definatley stay away from the older generation polaris sportsmans as they are garbage (based on personal experience). The new sportsman line up is supposed to be very reliable and before i bought my used grizzly i had checked into the 850. They wanted 7999.00 for the base model. A friend had the AC 650 twin and it blew belts every 250km, bogged when he hit a bit of water and leaked water into the belt case but thats the only experience ive had with an Arctic Crap. The griz i just bought used is alot of fun and very capable but when compared to a twin it feels underpowered. Rzr 800 50" is also a very fun machine. I rode one for 2 years, put on 3000k and only broke 1 axle and smoked 1 belt. Be veeeery cautious buying used as these machines get beat to hell and back.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the Honda 420 have IRS or does it still have that haywagon straight axle in it?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say look at the Sportsman 500. My 12' is perfect for what I need it for (hunting, trails). With a winch, bush bumpers, gun boot, out the door was 6800. Since added a Wes 2 up box, handguards, and its great for short rides with smaller passengers. AWD is not ideal sometimes and diff lock would be nice, but overall I'm happy with it and the price.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the Honda 420 have IRS or does it still have that haywagon straight axle in it?

You can get them both ways......... Mine is as you say "haywagon straight axle" ..........I love mine..... good traction all the time... I have rode with a buddy, who has a AC 500HO (with IRS)...and I walked him in climbing ...with my old 03 Honda 350es with stock tires !!! Wasn't even close. IRS does give a smoother ride BUT when I feel straight axles give better traction !!
Just my 2 cents !!

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of 07 Outlander Max's. 800 w/ low km (2 up) and a 400 w/ 770 miles. His and hers. For sell. Will do everything.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for value there are wicked deals out there.
Yamaha has wicked financing rates and a free winch promotion on now.
My boss Terry is kind of the master at purchasing.. we have Wicked Arctic Cat Atvs he bought at a savings, and has them on special pricing for you.
Everything from 450H1 to the Prowlers!
Give me a call and I can price two units out for you.
We sell Arctic Cat, Suzuki and Yamaha.
780 826 6121

vinson4ever

Reaction score
Over the years I've owned various machines. Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki. I presently have a 550 grizzly and a 750 Suzuki Kingquad. This is my second Suzuki, and in my opinion the best one by far compared to the previous ones. Very reliable, great ride, just a good all around machine, The Grizzly is also a good machine, but I would pick the Kingquad. Now it depends on what kind of riding you do. If your looking for a machine that goes 120 km hr. or you have to catwalk where ever you go, then the Kingquad might not be for you. They might be lacking bottom end abit, but who cares. Their great in the mud and very low mainteance. I ride with a few polaris guys, and it seems their always fixing something. They ride nice, lots of power, but are really heavy and high maintance. I'm not to familiar with the new Can-am's, but the old Bombarda's were terrible. Honda's are good machines if all you do is easy trails and not concerned about the ride. They are very reliable but not built for mudding. All machines have their pros and cons, and everybody has their personal opions, but I'm sold on Suzuki.

Reaction score
Honda 450 or 500 is the way to go. Tough as hell and will run on a drop of oil. I can't kill mine. Not top choice if you wanna be the first one to get anywhere.

Top Bottom