What's in your "emergency kit" ?

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting a tunnel bag this year and want to start carrying a few "emergency" items that I normally wouldn't want to put in my backpack.

Looking for ideas on what things to carry in there in case of an emergency / having to spend the night out / etc

- Saw (ice and tree branches)
- Bunch of climbing rope (fixing things, towing things, pulling things out of holes)
- Multi tool
- Extra layers (socks / base layers / fleece)
- Flares ?
- Tow straps
- Duct tape / zap straps
- Matches / fire starter
- First aid kit (not that I'd know what to do with it)
- 40 of wisers
- Pair of costco shovels ?
- Dynamite ?

Last edited:

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
057.jpg

059.jpg

060.jpg

plus food and water, and a few things not in the pic. i have enough stuff to comfortably staff the night, or 2, even a few extras for someone else if need be. bought a couple of the smaller space blankets, they fold up really small, weigh nothing, and keep you off the snow and can wrap up in them.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of other items I like to carry are, a small selection of Zap straps, a good emergency blanket(Silver)...not those crappy little $3 ones. A headlamp flashlight is a must. A couple of spare batteries. Firestarter packets that I bought at Canuck Tire..little silver packets that you just light and they burn for about 4 minutes to get a fire going. The ability to get a fire going in snowy winter conditions I think is the single most important thing you need to be able to do. A few energy bars and water. I always carry my S.P.O.T. with me when I'm out as well.

Last edited:

Rezz

Reaction score
you need to haul another sled to carry all that! but I guess it would be good to have you around with all that stuff.

I will take a good shovel and saw to build an igloo or snowcave (you need to learn how to make that) . Good fire starter (not crapy tire stuff)

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a selection of Toilet paper wrapped up individually, which i sell for 10 bucks each on the trail :) a few tampons to drop into the tank to soak with gas for lighting a fire, weather proof matches, saw, knife, jerkey, chocolate bar, small flask of rum, first aid kit, tylonol 3, motrin, robax platinum, and percocet. spair gloves, lenses. solar blanket, leatherman. that is the stuff that is always in my back pack, plus whatever i buy at the store for the day. on my sled I have tywraps/rebar wire.

also i put my drivers license in my photo copier, did a enlarged copy to about 4x5, then on the back i wrote all my emergency contacts information, my address, phone numbers, allergies, health conditions, my truck desciption, my snowmobile desciption and i also have a stash of cash. I have this in my pack incase the unthinkable happens, there will be a way to identify me, or family plus my truck and stuff sitting at the road. im hoping this never gets used, but in the event it does ill be somewhat prepared. I do also have my SPOT all the time

Last edited:

Rezz

Reaction score
you dont need to haul water, when there is so much solid water around you. just fire and a pot

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry a selection of Toilet paper wrapped up individually, which i sell for 10 bucks each on the trail :) a few tampons to drop into the tank to soak with gas for lighting a fire, weather proof matches, saw, knife, jerkey, chocolate bar, small flask of rum, first aid kit, tylonol 3, motrin, robax platinum, and percocet. spair gloves, lenses. solar blanket, leatherman. that is the stuff that is always in my back pack, plus whatever i buy at the store for the day. on my sled I have tywraps/rebar wire.

also i put my drivers license in my photo copier, did a enlarged copy to about 4x5, then on the back i wrote all my emergency contacts information, my address, phone numbers, allergies, health conditions, my truck desciption, my snowmobile desciption and i also have a stash of cash. I have this in my pack incase the unthinkable happens, there will be a way to identify me, or family plus my truck and stuff sitting at the road. im hoping this never gets used, but in the event it does ill be somewhat prepared. I do also have my SPOT all the time

Rum and Percocets! I wanna ride with your crew! :d :beer:

bones01

Reaction score
2.....6 hour emegency candles for when you dig snow cave for the overnite stay. keeps the cave warm and provides great light for little space.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you dont need to haul water, when there is so much solid water around you. just fire and a pot
When was the last time you were digging out, worked up a good sweat and decided to stop and melt some snow for a drink? Melting a handful of snow doesn't turn into much water when you need 16 to 24 ounces. If you wait too long to re-hydrate you're screwed. I carry a tin can, not a pot(?) for re-plenishing water supply in case I'm out for more than one night. Dehydration can be one of the biggest enemies when you're in trouble.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry most of the items already mentioned and also carry an "overnight kit". It has candy bars, tea bags, beef jerky, fire starter, two Bic lighters, matches, and space blanket. All these items are vacuum packed together and don't get opened unless it's an emergency. I also vacuum pack all my extra clothing items. They take up less space in my pack and they stay dry.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working.

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
small med kit - t3 or perks, strapping tape, gauze, emergency blanket, panty liners (was recommended to me by a doctor in the er, they are individually wrapped, sanitized and super absorbant), tampons - dip into gas tank = diy fire starter, zip ties, knife, leatherman, spear mitts, spare spring gloves, latex gloves, dry base layer, 30ml redbull shot, protein bars, powdered gatorage, spare beanie, sunglasses, spare goggle lenses, binoculars, and camelbac full, mabey my stove and a pot as well if i want hot lunch...

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you were digging out, worked up a good sweat and decided to stop and melt some snow for a drink? Melting a handful of snow doesn't turn into much water when you need 16 to 24 ounces. If you wait too long to re-hydrate you're screwed. I carry a tin can, not a pot(?) for re-plenishing water supply in case I'm out for more than one night. Dehydration can be one of the biggest enemies when you're in trouble.

I bought a hot-dogger specifically for that and it holds 4 juicy McDonalds cheesburgers everyday for lunch !!

Hotdogger = best item i have ever purchased for sledding !!

Top Bottom