What all do you consider must haves in your backpack?

monsterxlr8

Reaction score
So what do you carry besides the given: probe, shovel and first aid kit? I also have a single burner stove, emergency food rations, small cooking pot, extra base layers, gloves, head lamp, extra socks, whistle, extra batteries, matches and flint and steel, parachute cord, flares, little blanket, emergency blanket, TP, knife, saw. What else should a person add? I tend to go with more stuff than I think I will need and hope to never use it.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
something most people don't put in there bag that I always have is gas line antifreeze. Starting a fire is easy with it, it helps remove water from acting up switches. I have seen it clear up a frozen fuel pump in 15 minutes. among many other uses. its small and light so I always have 2 bottles in the top of my bag.

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another really good fire starter is potato chips. If you get a fire goin then you have some munchies but if it needs help, the oil in the chips burn for a long time.

Jayste

Reaction score
I also throw in some hand warmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BirdieO

Reaction score
Tampons. They are an excellent fire starter, dip it in your fuel tank and voila you are ready to start a fire...provided you have a spark of some sort ;)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Tampons. They are an excellent fire starter, dip it in your fuel tank and voila you are ready to start a fire...provided you have a spark of some sort ;)

And what a funny conversation we had about that on Saturday....lol

Sent from my phone ---- is anyone listening ?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Another quick fire starter is a standard 9-volt battery, and steel wool. Fluff the steel wool out, touch it with the 9-volt, very quick fast fire!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These work good and they're easy to carry.

zippo.jpg
zippo1.jpg

Last edited:

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use drier lint and wax, mix them in egg cartoons perfect size Easy to light ,they burn for a long time,but it's true tampon's do make better conversation .

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry everything in the first post except the stove. I use waxed cardboard from seedling boxes for firestarter, works excellent. One thing I would like to add is a hatchet but not sure where to put it. Branches burn too quickly to make a good fire last, need to chop some decent sized wood.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carry everything in the first post except the stove. I use waxed cardboard from seedling boxes for firestarter, works excellent. One thing I would like to add is a hatchet but not sure where to put it. Branches burn too quickly to make a good fire last, need to chop some decent sized wood.

Have a small hand hatchet mounted on my xp, between the battery and can

Reminds me I need to switch it to new sled

Have used it to beat something straight more than chopping lol

sent while I should be drinking tea's

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I would like to add is a hatchet but not sure where to put it.

I carried a real axe, not a hatchet, right here on my Nytro! Don't remember where I got that axe holder, but they should be readily available. The same axe fits under the seat on my M8 now. A hatchet is only marginally better than nothing. Carry a real axe! I like the Fiskars axes, cuz they stay super sharp for a long time and don't weigh much with the hollow plastic handle.

nytro3rm.jpg

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I carried a real axe, not a hatchet, right here on my Nytro! Don't remember where I got that axe holder, but they should be readily available. The same axe fits under the seat on my M8 now. A hatchet is only marginally better than nothing. Carry a real axe! I like the Fiskars axes, cuz they stay super sharp for a long time and don't weigh much with the hollow plastic handle.

View attachment 166248

That still falls under the hatchet category, also don't want to drill holes in the tunnel.

Top Bottom