Backpack Gear

Hammer800

Reaction score
Thought it was a good idea to bring this up again. Good checklist for the backpack!
Beacon
Shovel
Probe
Garbage bags
Flagging tape
Phone (its rare that they get reception but what the heck)
Candle
Saw built from old Chainsaw chain cut in half with bolts welded to each end for handles
Matches in 35mm film case and lighter
Small tarp
Space Blanket
toilet paper
LED headlight (straps to your head instead of a flashlight)
Spare batteries (for GPS, Beacon, and flashlight/headlight)
Camera/Video cam
Spare sunglasses (snowblindness sucks)
Spare clothes: Socks, sweaters, touque, mitts, gloves
Heat pads (the ones you break and they provide 8 hrs of heat)
Tums
Advil and asprin
Food: Dried goods, Jerky, Boullion cubes
Tin Coffee cup (can be used to melt snow, make soup etc)
Tampon (makes good fire starter)
Water
Alum foil
First aid kit
Whistle
Snowshoes (small aluminum ones)
Cumpass
GPS
Knife
Zip Ties
Tarp Tape (Not duct tape, it don't stick in the cold and tarp tape is way stronger, and it comes in 4 colors)
Spare nuts + Bolts
Tow rope
Maps
Climbing rope (this stuff is tuff has many uses and strong as heck)
Mech wire
Small roll of 14ga elect. wire
Gas antifreeze
Tools: Assortment of Wrenches, cresent, vice grips, etc.
Electrical kit: Has Elect. tape, wire strippers, conntectors etc.
Ratchet straps
Small hatchet
Extras:Spare Belt
Small bottle of coolant
Small bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil
5 liters of fuel

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't see kitchen sink on that list? That's a stellar list but to much for a back pack. I can see tunnel bag and back pack. Oh and don't carry your beacon in your back pack!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why would your beacon be in your backpack?

cumpass? hmmm

small snow shoes?

5 litres of fuel in your pack? among other things...

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen this several times now, that activating a SPOT and wrapping an avalanche victim in a down jacket has saved this person's life. A SPOT is the next piece of gear I am going to get.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got most if not all plus a few more things in a 35L ABS Vario backpack. Less the fuel which is on the sled. I do have fire starters though. I'm going to review it again now that Im back in Canada and stoked to go sledding! Just need snow!

IMO, 93% of people in the back country are ill prepared. "it's too heavy", "too much work" etc. Well, when ch!t hits the fan those who are ready will be grateful, and those ill prepared will be bumming off them (IF there is a guy around equipped like that). Just looking at people I know they are lacking gear.

The ABS pack holds the weight VERY well. I rarely notice it and I strap on my snowboard and ride down the hill with it. If something happens, or the sled gets covered in avi debris, I want to be comfortable if I have to spend the night!

BTW, Mission Snow and Skate on 17th and also Kensington is now the ABS dealer in Calgary. (Bow gets theirs through Ski-doo). They also do bottle and trigger replacement for $40. Go talk to the guys about the bags. I know there are other options now, but three years later and I'm still 100% glad I went with the ABS.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thought it was a good idea to bring this up again. Good checklist for the backpack!
Beacon this is on your person not in back pack
Shovel
Probe
Garbage bags maybe for wet boots but not necessary for garbage
Flagging tape I doo carry a small/partial roll
Phone (its rare that they get reception but what the heck) never, no reception where I ride
Candle used to but not anymore
Saw built from old Chainsaw chain cut in half with bolts welded to each end for handles much easier to pack small saw on machine
Matches in 35mm film case and lighter Coglan's waterproof match case with pieces of striker in with matches
Small tarp leave that and use spruce/pine boughs
Space Blanket yes
toilet paper small roll
LED headlight (straps to your head instead of a flashlight) yes
Spare batteries (for GPS, Beacon, and flashlight/headlight) if batteries in beacon are changed at 80-75% they are good to go
Camera/Video cam not necessary but nice
Spare sunglasses (snowblindness sucks) if necessary make the old wooden ones with slits like the Inuit used to
Spare clothes: Socks, sweaters, touque, mitts, gloves gloves yes, toque yes, extra layer maybe, neck warmer, balaclava
Heat pads (the ones you break and they provide 8 hrs of heat) I have 2 in the bottom of pack
Tums coupe of Zantac
Advil and asprin selection of pain killers in with first aid kit
Food: Dried goods, Jerky, Boullion cubes food isn't a problem for one night and pine needles make pretty good tea
Tin Coffee cup (can be used to melt snow, make soup etc) this I would leave as I have the Muff-pot that could be used
Tampon (makes good fire starter) cotton balls with vaseline mixed in
Water to each their own but 500 ml is enough as snow melts
Alum foil not necessary
First aid kit quite comprehensive
Whistle yes
Snowshoes (small aluminum ones) not necessarily small on certain days
Cumpass included with GPS
GPS yes as it is good in white out in unfamiliar territory
Knife included with Leatherman
Zip Ties various sizes
Tarp Tape (Not duct tape, it don't stick in the cold and tarp tape is way stronger, and it comes in 4 colors) nice to have but not necessary IMO
Spare nuts + Bolts always a few in the bottom of storage or machine not in backpack
Tow rope yes and a couple of bunjies (on the machine)
Maps included with GPS
Climbing rope (this stuff is tuff has many uses and strong as heck) not necessary IMO
Mech wire fix anything with Duct tape
Small roll of 14ga elect. wire if it suits your fancy
Gas antifreeze carb heaters for this and look after the gas before using it
Tools: Assortment of Wrenches, cresent, vice grips, etc. leatherman is quite functional
Electrical kit: Has Elect. tape, wire strippers, conntectors etc. small roll of tape/leatherman above
Ratchet straps tow rope above
Small hatchet I carry one but not necessary IMO and it is on the machine not in back pack
Extras:Spare Belt /plugs for most machines
Small bottle of coolant not necessary as one can melt snow for water
Small bottle of synthetic 2 stroke oil everybody has lots of oil
5 liters of fuel I can ride for 2 days on 5 liters sometimes
Spare goggles/lens
Duct tape rolled on itself; forget the paper roller

That is quite a list and one should be prepared. The only thing that I haven't used in my "survival gear" is most of the items in the first aid kit. I have used the pain killers and eye patch. The rest just added weight but necessary just in case.
With the newer machines extra fuel, plugs, oil, wire, etc isn't a priority where we ride.
Something that is required is flexibility and creativeness; one has to be able to think outside the box in many situations.

A good boy scout is prepared....so is a mountain man!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it would be ideal to split it up among your riding buddies, everyone has a part of the load. real bitch when yer broke down at 4:30 pm and your miles from the truck, ya may have to stay in the bush. good luck with fire, most visible wood is green.

would it be ok to tell yer riding partner that laughed and wouldn't take any rescue gear, to take a hike when the shheeet hit"s the fan.

may be a tough lesson, sorry i only have one chocolate bar bud, and you are lookin a little fat. hahaha

everyone should have a few of the items listed, just in case.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This list is an excellent "thought provoking" start. I ended up having to spend 3 and half days stuck up in the mountains with two other buddies and trust me the more prepared you are the better! Couple of additional suggestions:

1) Carry pieces of an old rubber bike inner tube cut about 1/2 inch wide - these can be used as a rubber band but also double as a great fire starter! They burn hot and for a good couple of minutes

2) Carry at least 4 of the Oatmeal to go food bars per person - last forever and good energy

3) Topo map of your favourite riding areas - GPS's don't work with cold dead batteries

4) Shiny tin foil type "space blanket sleeping bags" - just the blanket type does not wrap completely around you

5) Signal flares (pen type) work well - carry a SPOT too, but again cold dead batteries don't work. Trust me it sucks seeing a search helicopter fly by you!

6) Somewhere on your sled carry a small vice grips, small crescent wrench, and set of allen wrenches appropriate for your type of sled.

7) An aluminum shovel or tin cup with tin foil to go over it when you are melting snow. Water tasting like burnt plastic and ashes bites!

8) Carry water instead of pop with you. You can drink it plus in a pinch put it in your sled if needed! Easier on your cooling system than Coke.

Great idea to spread it around with your riding group to address the weight issue.

Be prepared, and ride safe!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Shocked no one carry's garlic shrimp in there backpac.............................

prior to the putting them in the Thing cooker, that's where they reside.....I missed that!

There may also be a main course and a piece of pineapple up-side-down cake for dessert.

Maybe bigger back packs are required......

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude that showed us around Allen last weekend carries a small pink deadblow to bust the ice off his running boards. Works way better than kicking. (i'm guessing any colour would work).

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a Captain on a 747 or something similar size and does trans-atlantic flights.
Went to Vancouver and went out for a weekend on his boat and he was very "anal" (his words) about the readiness of his boat and it's passengers.
He said most people think I'm anal about all this stuff but when the waves start getting high, the wind is blowing hard and everyone is scared and I get them back to shore safely they will be the first to thank me for being a pain the ass.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude that showed us around Allen last weekend carries a small pink deadblow to bust the ice off his running boards. Works way better than kicking. (i'm guessing any colour would work).

Just a side note, I find kicking the underside of my running board work great for getting the ice out.

Top Bottom