Whats everyone using for beacons?

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Orthovox here. Hope to never have to use it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Ortovox Patroller about 5-6 years old. I feel it works well and was easy to use when I have practiced. I also hope I never need it.

Iamcatman

Reaction score
I have been rocking the Ortovox S-1 for a few years. Still a really good beacon, and easy to use. Three antenna, multiple burials. Good price too.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have three Mammut Barryvox Pluse, bought two of them from Lori, Zacs Tracs.....bought the third one used, sent it in to be checked it didnt pass the inspection and they replaced it for the $40 update/service fee.....

Great product, easy to use, and great support.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just booked my classroom session for AST1. Thanks for the link fernie, I thought I would have to travel but It turned out there having a course only 45 minutes away from me. Anyone ever try the Iprobe from pieps? I'm not sure how much it could actually speed up marking, but if a hundred extra bucks could help save a life someday I kinda figure why not try it?

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulse Barryvox for me also.
My son has a pieps DSP.

Happy with both and would be happy to use either of them.

Last edited:

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Anyone ever try the Iprobe from pieps? I'm not sure how much it could actually speed up marking, but if a hundred extra bucks could help save a life someday I kinda figure why not try it?"

Interesting,would work well if you’re searching for a beacon, and you’re not poking the victim.....

Just wouldn’t be effective for line searches for recovery of victims withoutbeacons or sleds....

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
thanks for the link, i was hoping to find a comparison chart like that. Looks like the dealers in edmonton all carry multiple brands so i'll try to take a better look at them in store before i decide. Although based on the responses barryvox seems like the most popular

most of these will be at the sled show too.... Might find a good deal there:)

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Anyone ever try the Iprobe from pieps? I'm not sure how much it could actually speed up marking, but if a hundred extra bucks could help save a life someday I kinda figure why not try it?"

Interesting,would work well if you’re searching for a beacon, and you’re not poking the victim.....

Just wouldn’t be effective for line searches for recovery of victims withoutbeacons or sleds....
Watching the video, it seems like it is a tool to confirm that you have found the body with the beacon, hence the solid tone. You would still have to go through the proper probing technique, but this would just tell if you if you are getting closer or further away, or hit the spot. Though if you have done your search, and probing correctly you should hit the spot just as quickly. Though, I'm sure it would help in the stressful situation when you have a buried friend.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the Pieps DSP. My buddy runs a tracker 2. both good but i wouldn't trade my pieps for his tracker.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thing about the pulse that no one has mentioned is that you can train it to find a certain beacon first. So if you sled with your wife or kids you can train it to find them before other beacons.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
hehe, you yankin my chain? lol would have taken less time to hunt us down eh.

It's really a personal decision what each person uses. It's imperative that everyone in a group has one and knows how to use it.
•••••• Your life might depend on it ••••••

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what i think about that idea!
Agree, you could go away from someone you are literally standing on, to go find someone else. I understand you want to save your wife or child as soon as you can, but if you were right on top of somebody else, and got them out within a couple minutes, you then have another rescuer to find others (assuming they were ok to help out).
Outfitting your wife and child with an Avy bag would be a better idea.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a good day just the same.........:d

Yes it was a great day , except a big bad mad bear finally caught us, and handed out chit cones lol. Glad you didn't kill us lol

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's really a personal decision what each person uses. It's imperative that everyone in a group has one and knows how to use it.
•••••• Your life might depend on it ••••••

I think fernie is telling me to not ride out of sight, he is not a locator like me lol. He had to come find us, although we were on the way when he found us. Oh he was a strict teacher then. It was yes sir no sir follow you sir. I was an angel , it was the freakin brother in law

Best trip ever

tmurphy

Reaction score
x2!!!
I use the barryvox element beacon and like it! It don't come any easier to use. And in our avalanche course it had one of the best ranges. What ever beacon you buy practice using it lots!

Top Bottom