Whats everyone using for beacons?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to riding mountains (only went once last year) and borrowed gear but I'm looking at buying my own. I'm currently looking at the new BCA tracker 3 but I want to hear what everyone else is using? can any of you more experienced guys see any pros or cons to this beacon or do you have other suggestions? and while I'm at it I noticed probes come in different lengths is bigger better? and before its mentioned I'm planning to take a course this year.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the barryvox element beacon and like it! It don't come any easier to use. And in our avalanche course it had one of the best ranges. What ever beacon you buy practice using it lots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing I wasn't sure of with the element is that the screen isn't backlit. If you guys are using them assume it can't be that big of issue but it seems like it would be hard to see in bright conditions.

togo ripper

Reaction score
My dad brother and I all use the tracker 2 very simple and easy to use look rugged just a bit bigger than the others

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing I wasn't sure of with the element is that the screen isn't backlit. If you guys are using them assume it can't be that big of issue but it seems like it would be hard to see in bright conditions.
It's fine. It's an LCD screen, not an iPhone. No problems seeing them in the light.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Pulse. With regards to probes, I use mine to measure snow depth for interest sakes and many times the 240 cm isn't long enough. It will work fine for most rescues. If I have to search for a body deeper than that, it will pretty much be a recovery and not a rescue. There is also the fact that the "professional" probes (the long suckers) won't fit into your back pack.

As for courses, check this out and I am sure that with a course and beacon purchase, it will be the best deal on the beacon:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
barryvox element is on my chest at all times. easy to use, mutlple burials, good range. practice is the key.

a side note, when i was in elkford fernie tied a fishing line to my belt, no idea why. lol

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I wear a Pieps DSP Pro (), and the better half wears a Pieps DSP Tour (http://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-dsp-tour). Both beacons were recommended by Lori @ Zacs Tracs, Both are easy to use, both are 3 attenna beacon.

I also still have 2 of the Old SOS analog beacons in the truck, for the days that someone in the group "forgets" one.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a tracker 2. Needed something cheap and simple when I started riding. I would choose something different next time though.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HERE IS A GOOD COMPARISON RATING CHART ..... I BOUGHT 3 OF THE ORTOVOX S+1, AFTER MUCH RESEARCH. FOUND AN AWESOME DEAL ON THEM AND BROUGHT THEM IN FROM THE U.S. ........ Rating Scores - The Best Avalanche Beacons - OutdoorGearLab THIS SHOULD HELP YOU MAKE UP YOUR MIND
Thanks for the link, I was hoping to find a comparison chart like that. Looks like the dealers in edmonton all carry multiple brands so I'll try to take a better look at them in store before I decide. Although based on the responses barryvox seems like the most popular

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a tracker 2. Needed something cheap and simple when I started riding. I would choose something different next time though.
yeah the one I was borrowing last year was a tracker DTS and some of the other guys had tracker 2's. Its true that they are simple, and according to what ive read can be some of the fastest for newbies to pick up

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the one I was borrowing last year was a tracker DTS and some of the other guys had tracker 2's. Its true that they are simple, and according to what ive read can be some of the fastest for newbies to pick up
Yes very easy to use and learn on. No buttons or modes to accidentally put it in but also struggles in a multiple burial situation. Seems to be tough as nails so far too, buddy had an ortovox 3+ and it worked fine one day but then went into a fault mode the next morning before the ride and couldn't be reset. He had to take it back for warranty.

Top Bottom