What wouldn't you miss about working in the patch??

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What wouldnt I miss? cleaning mud tanks while huntched over squeegeing...or one spot of bitumen that migrates all over the cab of the truck.

the pay is good , the hours can suck and being away from home for extended time sucks

I live in BC and work in AB .

YFZ 450

Reaction score
Seeing all the city boys come out to work in the '' PATCH " trying to make big bucks thinking they sould be a Tool Push by now.
I live in Alberta, spend a fair time in BC, work in PNG. Grew up on the East coast. Life is GOOD

Free Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't miss the thievin. somehow peeps think if something is not under lock and key it is yours to take.

I hear you on this one, I was working up at the Firebag camp for Suncor years back and guys were stealing pairs of jeans right out of the washing machine. Everyone up there was making in excess of 80 grand a year probably but there was still clothes and cigarettes getting stolen. WTF.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didnt have time to read all 11 pages, but ill chime in

i worked seismic.....YES Seismic for 3 years
cant believe it last that long but it did
this is work they should make PRISONERS do...for real

i did this back in like 2001-2004 for a whopping $7.25/hr
worked 12-15hrs a day and usually 60 days at a minimum when it was busy
two longest stretches ever was 78 and 92 days...the 78 was in camp in Fricking Chinchauga (sp?)

I wont miss:

-frost bite
-cold lunches
-no supper cause were later than the kitchen is open
-seeing the same 35 guys for 78 days straight
-watching your Sr. Observer go with drawl from coke (not cola), send you out on a chopper at 2:15pm on a Jan. afternoon, and tell you to shoot out 10 hole patterns until its dark. And then walk out. And then have your GREEN fricken helper break his leg, drag him out of 3 valleys on your back, w no radio dead batts cause its minus -36 ground temp. Honestly think you might die tonight, as you have ZERO supplies, cause u left them a valley back to haul this fat ass helper out of the bush. get out at 1am (yes i went in at 2pm and came out 11 hours later).

sorry bit of a sore spot w me..........

went to work pipeline for 6 months, making $18/hr (big bump from $7.25)
paid out all my debt, quit the patch and have NEVER looked back

now i sit in a warm, comfy office, work as many or little hours as i want
make a living that would put MOST patch guys salary to shame, and im home every night to tuck my kids into bed

yeah......i dont miss it AT ALL

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
didnt have time to read all 11 pages, but ill chime in

i worked seismic.....YES Seismic for 3 years
cant believe it last that long but it did
this is work they should make PRISONERS do...for real

i did this back in like 2001-2004 for a whopping $7.25/hr
worked 12-15hrs a day and usually 60 days at a minimum when it was busy
two longest stretches ever was 78 and 92 days...the 78 was in camp in Fricking Chinchauga (sp?)

I wont miss:

-frost bite
-cold lunches
-no supper cause were later than the kitchen is open
-seeing the same 35 guys for 78 days straight
-watching your Sr. Observer go with drawl from coke (not cola), send you out on a chopper at 2:15pm on a Jan. afternoon, and tell you to shoot out 10 hole patterns until its dark. And then walk out. And then have your GREEN fricken helper break his leg, drag him out of 3 valleys on your back, w no radio dead batts cause its minus -36 ground temp. Honestly think you might die tonight, as you have ZERO supplies, cause u left them a valley back to haul this fat ass helper out of the bush. get out at 1am (yes i went in at 2pm and came out 11 hours later).

sorry bit of a sore spot w me..........

went to work pipeline for 6 months, making $18/hr (big bump from $7.25)
paid out all my debt, quit the patch and have NEVER looked back

now i sit in a warm, comfy office, work as many or little hours as i want
make a living that would put MOST patch guys salary to shame, and im home every night to tuck my kids into bed

yeah......i dont miss it AT ALL

you sllin coke to your old senior officer now lo j/k.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why you ol dog ya given me grief again haha. been ridin yer cat, i'm thinkin yer smilin while ridding eh.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? 30 yrs ago I was making $10.82 with holiday pay inluded. Thats the Provincial Govt for you.

hurt'in albertan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree i have worked lots in the patch pipeline, reclaimation, well operator, flush-by operator, trucker driver and for the last 12 years i have worked for a oilfield supply store(which i am the manager) and everyone feels they worka few months and they should be make what i make and dont want to earn what i have worked for they just expect it given to them!!!

Top Bottom