What would cause a piston to look like Bill Murray's face?

framtam

Reaction score
2012-01-08_13-25-08_823.jpg

What's missing in that picture is mostly caked on the cylinder head.

And I can only imagine the bottom of the piston looks worse, and is what caused the .50 cal sized bullet hole in the bottom crankcase

2012-01-08_13-25-23_877.jpg

I had some issues with this sled before the blowout, but I don't know if it's related or not as it ran fairly good the few outings before the blowout.

Other cylinder looked like a normal person's face.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bottom end bearing chunk went up top .... happened to mine [ well not with the hole in the bottom end cases ] ......

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say no, cause the damage is the same all the way around, not at the exhaust side, and the blown out block says a piece fell off.

reply to riverjet

Last edited:

Himark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bill Murrays reflection looking at it?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say no, cause the damage is the same all the way around, not at the exhaust side, and the blown out block says a piece fell off.

reply to riverjet

x2 .... def not a lean issue .... or deto

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bad gas? Det,def has broken skirt.

Last edited:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bearing failure and or skirt broke off.Actually had a skirt punch a hole on the bottom of the cases!Doesn't look like a lean failure because of the sharp edges on the marks and there would be more evidence of melting on the exhaust side.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Detonation would be more pitting in the center of the piston and to the exhaust side!Detonation is more of a melting effect like welding slag! Something got into that cylinder!Had a buddy's 04 800 rmk drop an exhaust valve into the cylinder!We found it in the pipe he still swears that it kept running after it happened!!Looked like a penny off the train tracks!

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Detonation would be more pitting in the center of the piston and to the exhaust side!Detonation is more of a melting effect like welding slag! Something got into that cylinder!Had a buddy's 04 800 rmk drop an exhaust valve into the cylinder!We found it in the pipe he still swears that it kept running after it happened!!Looked like a penny off the train tracks!
Det is always the outside, the thinnest part of the piston hence why the piston pin always falls out.CAUSE Bad gas CURE Better gas .:beer:

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leaned out meltdown. Not an oil issue.

I would agree. The fact that the rest of the piston is caked onto the cylinder head is the #1 sign that the piston DID in fact get hot enough to melt and unlikely that it was debris that just bashed around in the cylinder. Ski Doo motor with around 3,000-4,000 kms? Suspected cause - Lower rod bearing went and allowed the rod to then hit the case, caused an air leak and melted the piston. Was it running like a diesel (banging and clanging) just before it grenaded?

Top Bottom