Grinding or Shutter sound when letting off the throttle?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding in Clemina Wednesday started noticing that when I let off the throttle it is making a shutter sound almost like a grinding or something. Cant really tell where the sound is coming from but looking for some ideas as to what it could be. Snow was fairly set up and hard packed in most places and was quite cold so thought maybe it was just ice buildup or the icy corny type snow causing it. Sled is 14 hcr with a 3" track, could it just be that I have never ran a 3" before and thats the sound of the bigger paddles hanging up the sled a bit? When on the throttle it worked and sounded perfect but when letting off or coasting downhill I could here something not normal, any ideas????????

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does the suspension dip a bit when you let off on the throttle? if so, could it be track touching the tunnel for that slight moment?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt seem to notice but that crossed my mind, I was running a little less pressure than I normally run in the rear shock, was at 125 psi, usually I run 145 psi, it is possible its rubbing on the tunnel

does the suspension dip a bit when you let off on the throttle? if so, could it be track touching the tunnel for that slight moment?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Did you tighten the bearing retainer in the chain case all the way? Or on the pto side of the driveshaft. If you never the bearing could have play in the retainer when you let off momentum will want to push the driveshaft forward, our lugs could get in contact with the cooler/jackshaft tunnel area.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never did the work so couldnt tell ya, but ill have a look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Check the bearings on the driveshaft while your in there. You can see if the bearing retainers are tight from inside the tunnel. Check if there's play in the driveshaft at all.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok will do , thanks for the replies

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was riding in Clemina Wednesday started noticing that when I let off the throttle it is making a shutter sound almost like a grinding or something. Cant really tell where the sound is coming from but looking for some ideas as to what it could be. Snow was fairly set up and hard packed in most places and was quite cold so thought maybe it was just ice buildup or the icy corny type snow causing it. Sled is 14 hcr with a 3" track, could it just be that I have never ran a 3" before and thats the sound of the bigger paddles hanging up the sled a bit? When on the throttle it worked and sounded perfect but when letting off or coasting downhill I could here something not normal, any ideas????????

Did you add the team secondary?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No team secondary, stock clutches with speedwerx h5 springs and a 38* straight cut helix

readimedic

Reaction score
Try it some place where there is less snow, try some jumping etc to see if you can get the same sounds. Could be lots..

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i try it some where with less snow it would have to be somewhere with none, i rode on hard packed at clemina, hardly was any soft snow, didnt do it as bad in deep snow just on the trail and beaten down areas was where i noticed it, does the same thing here at home in 6" of snow as well

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im gonna tear apart the chain case and have a look, gonna upgrade chain case to beefier chain, sprockets and manual tensioner any way, track alignment i noticed is a bit out as well so ill center that better and try it out

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Im gonna tear apart the chain case and have a look, gonna upgrade chain case to beefier chain, sprockets and manual tensioner any way, track alignment i noticed is a bit out as well so ill center that better and try it out

You can just lay beside your sled and grab the driveshaft and give it a tub and push to check the bearings. Any play at all means new bearing time, or the retainers are loose. If your track alignment is off, when coasting it will creep to the side of least resistance. So check the edge of the tunnel.

If youre going to go that far and change sprockets and chain, may as well go belt drive.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did that last night, no play and everything seems solid, priced out a belt drive and by the time i get it shipped to me with the exchange rate its $1300+, i can upgrade chain and such for less than $300, belt drive seems like an off season purchase to me

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Secondary rubbing on belt guard??

Nope belt guard is straight, lots of clearance, after looking again last night looks to be the track rubbing on the tunnel on the left side, gotta get my sled lift back from a buddy and run and adjust till its bang on then ill try it again

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
C3 Powersports is in Alberta...

With oil tank and spare belt it comes in at a whopping $70 cheaper than tki or mvm's kit out of the states, and they come with the same,by the time i drive to st albert and get it, its the same price

Top Bottom