What was your scariest moment on a quad?

Joshgrizz660

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring 2005...Pecos and I sneak out for a night ride. Again heading down a known trail in the dark....apparently a tree fell over the trail at chin level or so. I was on my 650 AC and it caught me in the chin....knocked cold and laying on the trail. Pecos comes around the corner on his little Big Bear and it catches him in the nose....which thankfully causes him to swerve and miss me (laying on the ground). we get back to camp...have a beer or two...he goes in his trailer and his wife sees him, "WERE YOU GUYS FIGHTING?!!?" HAHAHAHAHA.

as charlie sheen would say "WINNING":bandance:

aaron_m

Reaction score
Dropped my quad in a shallow v-trench. Landed with my stomach on the winch toggle. Bust my visor, cracked goggles, not a scratch on me or machine.
By the time got back home, small golf ball lump on my stomach poking out, and hurt like hell. decided maybe should get it checked out.
2 hr trip into emerg, and this thing is a grapefruit trying to get out of my tummy. Turns out i blew a hole in my somach muscles, and bowel. Attending Dr said I had another 90min, and would have died due to toxicity (pee/poop/food floating around inside of me, uncontained).
Spent 15 days in hospital.
I HIGHLY do NOT reccommend blowing a hole in your tummy.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
watched my friend get hit and killed by a truck

I don't even know what to say to that bomb being dropped. Sorry for your loss seems weak.

As for the stomach muscle, holy crap.

Now the two guys, same tree...that's the kind of "no harm, no foul" story I like. I would have played with the wives a bit and said it was about defending her honour. That, or I would say I was attacked by a cougar and explain the story in great detail...the claws, the growling, the tearing off of my clothes...oh wait, that's a different kind of cougar and her name is Michelle.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please get some pictures - that would be great!

I think I know that spot. You arent supposed to be in that area correct since the changes years ago? Is it almost like a V shape with very little flat bottom in some spots? I think you can access it from the south down a side hill and there is a steel cable sticking out. We would highmark on bikes but those big sharp rocks are tough on tires. On one side at the top is that greavel road and the other the rocks stick out and then some trees.

I wanted to sneak back in there but not sure how the mine poeple would react?

Do you know if you can stil get to this peak (past where the coal shutes are - as we call that spot) withought the mine people fretting?

Here is a pic of the peak looking down (look close and there is a bike down there) :
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o190/Landrew109/IMG_3504.jpg

he could be talking about the original "Death Valley" that is in your video on you tube..?

the spot you r at is up in Prospect mountain... According to a map that is up on a board it shows yellow meaning u r allowed t be there yet the prospect creek trail head along the haul road says no atv's...? Lol guess if u get dropped in by chopper yer good t go...

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2006 i was at a local race track with some friends and was doing laps on a yfz450. There was one long corner that you could slid around if you were going fast enough and after a few laps i was drifting the corner and the back end decided to hook up, sent me and the quad cart wheelin down the track for about 50 yards, all i remember is finally stopping on my back and watching the quad land nose first about 4 feet from me. well with the adrenaline flowing i figured i was fine, no pain felt, i'm good. road the quad back to the truck and after another 15 min the pain started to kick in and i got rushed to stony hospital. where i find out i have a dislocated shoulder and broken clavicle. fine they give me some pills and and a sling and send me on my way. Well a few days later another doctor looked at the xrays and apparently my collar bone wasn't just broken it was shattered and the ends were pushed over top of each other. one emergency surgery to fix my shoulder and put a plate put in to hold it all, i am now fine. still have to scar and the plate to prove it all.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Younger Brother wanted to hit up a track in a friends field. My brakes were half apart so I took my older brothers z400. Did a few laps, it was going ok, took a while to get comfortable on the quad since it's much taller than the warrior I was used to. Hit a jump(nothing huge maybe 35 ft) and I instantly knew I was fawked. The quad went sideways almost as soon as I left the lip, landed at probably a 70'degree angle to the direction I was jumping, and instantly rolled. Next thing I know I'm laying off to the side of the track and it felt like forever waiting for my brother to get far enough around the track to where he could see me. Couldn't move without my back hurting extremely bad, but with help I got up and a ride to the hospital. Turned out I didn't break anything, just bruised my ribs and sprained pretty much my entire back. I was off work for a week, had T3's and a muscle relaxant but I still didn't move out of the recliner lol I swear the pills did nothing. You don't realize how much work your back does just standing or sitting up until you can't do it . . .

At the end the quads wheelbase was about 5" shorter on one side lol the swing arm was completely screwed. But really only that, the handlebars, and a couple body brackets were broken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
scariest moments for me? hmmm. every time a destroyed unit gets dropped at work to have the damage surveyed. I literally feel sick to my stomach at times. examples. sportsman 850 that cartwheeled down windy ridge in crowsnest pass. inexperienced person in over their head and got into a bad situation. no injury's, (no helmet, lucky). sportsman 500 efi. old fella(70ish) chasing cattle out of a coulee. rolled and quad had him pinned for three hours before being found. almost hypothermic(-10ishc with no helmet). went and visited him in the hospital. nice fella actually. 50" rzr rolled and broke a dude's arm and rattled his mellon(no helmet). barrel rolled down an embankment just outside of town. couple weeks in the hospital for that one. rzr 1000 with dad in passenger seat and young son driving. pretty nasty rollover. son ok but dad spent some time in the hospital. had to wash blood off the cage on that one(no helmets). plenty of others but I could go on for days. have seen a lot of sled carnage as well with some broken bones and bruises in the outcome but nothing with head trauma. I am guessing maybe because of helmets(not sure but maybe). there was one more I have to mention. local contractor's son was out with other people and had to go for one last rzr ride before coming home. rolled the unit trying to miss a dog or something of that nature. they had the boy's funeral a week later(no helmets). this is why I get a sick feeling when I see a crashed machine being unloaded at work. preachy,,,,,,,,yup. just my experience!

camoJoe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at post # 69, They Really should make helmets compulsory, everywhere. would save a lot of time for more fun, instead of trips to the hospitals and worse !!!, we go nowhere without them !!!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i have all you guy's beat for my scariest moment on a quad.

Taking off on my quad on a Saturday afternoon for a little burn down the driveway and seeing my wife's sharp evil eyes glaring at me ready to shoot me dead if i don't get my work done as i was suppose to do.

It worked cause i turned around and parked it.....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i have all you guy's beat for my scariest moment on a quad.

Taking off on my quad on a Saturday afternoon for a little burn down the driveway and seeing my wife's sharp evil eyes glaring at me ready to shoot me dead if i don't get my work done as i was suppose to do.

It worked cause i turned around and parked it.....
Chicken

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canada Day 2012, North of Chisolm Mills. 8pm.
Chasing baby bunny rabbits.
Hydro-planned a puddle, sideways, across a 20'+ puddle. Hit the dirt sideways on the dry side.
Felt the back wheel lift. Opened my legs to clear the bars.
. . . . . . .
un-known amount of time later.
Woke up from being unconscious.
Broken left scapula (shoulder blade)
ALONE AND VERY QUIET.
Rolled my quad back over. Took off my helmet and pushed my quad to the side of the trail.
Waited another 5 mins before I heard the noise of the other machines I was with.
At 12:30am we got to the Westlock hospital where I spent the night.

The very worst part was realizing I was alone and didn't know how long I was K.O.'d for.

Last edited:

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding with aggressive riders and almost hit a deer once but loading and unloading has me paranoid as I used to manage survey contractors and most of he incidents were that. One fellow broke his hip and had internal injuries and was not able to go back into the field for two years

Top Bottom