What was THE sled to have when you started mountain riding?

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went up to Tumbler Ridge BC on a 70 TnT 640. That was just after the Earth's crust cooled. There were no mountain sleds back then. Sure miss the old days.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 340 indy lite, 4 of us had them and all the parents called us the snowflake gang.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day drooling over my cousins brand new 136" 600 powder special!! And then another time a guy showed up and unloaded a 144",and somebody made a comment about needing hell's half acre to turn the thing around!! Man how times have changed (i.e.: a factory 174 3") Are people gonna look at a XM skidoo in 20 years and wonder how anyone could ride that heavy old clunker?

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Hah! In exactly 21 yrs, 10 months and 2.5 days, give or take an hour. Someone, somewhere from this site will look back at our present time now and wish for these good old days. It might be me! Hopefully I'll be just recovered from a back transplant from lifting all these (now new) heavy old sleds for too many years. Lol.
Went up to Tumbler Ridge BC on a 70 TnT 640. That was just after the Earth's crust cooled. There were no mountain sleds back then. Sure miss the old days.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
working on that old movie...have run into some tech issues with the modern VCR....I will keep working on it :D

ridgie

Reaction score
My first trip to the mountains was on a 1982 skidoo citation ss. West Yellowstone right after a big snow. We sure learned how to dig each other out. Next was yamaha phazers. Long tracked and paddled they were great sleds of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread... For me the mac daddy sled was a Storm or an RXL 136 2 inch paddles for those of you old enough to know what I'm talking about.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
79 Arctic Cat Jag 340 FC. Used to double the wife up on to Mount Bickford in the Pine Pass back in 1980. I still have a can of Arctic Cat Spirit Injection Oil on my shelf.

aocbiz

Reaction score
Well I was riding an 81 Yamaha 440 but I was drooling over the 1985 INDY 500, that was a cool sled.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL

Good times....good times.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 66

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1996 600 extra lite tomato, was the I had on my first trip to the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first two sleds were Skidoo 640e's. Not too sure what the e stood for as the electric start never did work but the cigarette lighter always did. Maybe that was so you could have a smoke break while trying to start the POS? I pulled my guts out trying to start it every time I wanted to ride it. It would be cold out and the old girl would kick back yanking the pull cord out of my hands. You'd pull your mittens off and see if your fingers were still on. I would get so frustrated I'd sit on the seat sideways and just cry. Lol. My mom would see me out the window and tell me to take a break but never come help. My dad always seemed to be working when I wanted to ride. So 3 hours later, 10 breaks and 4 hot chocolates, it would give that faint hint of hope. ... Pull. ... blub blub blub. Yay! I only have about another hour of pulling yet! Worst thing was after it started for 4 seconds you never knew if you should touch the choke or the gas. Once you got that thing running and warmed up, I wouldn't come home until I was almost out of gas or stuck in the reeds somewhere. There were always trails through the reeds to get on or off the lake. Had to be real careful one ski didn't catch one cat tail or it'd pull you in about 10 feet. :( It would do 0-60 in about 2.3 seconds and that was all. Maybe 65 with a new belt and a half mile.

Next one was a 77 Skidoo Everest 440 fan cooled. Hood was black and it was awesome until I discovered the 444 liquid cooled yellow hood version. Then mine was a POS suddenly.

First trip to the mountains was on a 2002 RMK 800 144. I was in my glory. I had a lot of good days on that sled and it never let me down in the hills. Detonated the motor a couple times at home ditch banging due to old fuel. Finally took the twin pipes off and returned it to stock motor configuration. Always started and was a good sled in its day. Moved to a 12 Pro and now on a snow bike. Never looking back now.
usymuge6.jpg

Sent while wishing I was on my snowbike

Last edited:
Top Bottom