What type of plastic used in ski's?

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey Folks, I am wondering what type of plastic is used in ski's today? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Is it a epoxy, urethane or or polyurethane? And does anyone know if a spec sheet for the plastic that is used?

thanks in advance.

Pinky

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey Folks, I am wondering what type of plastic is used in ski's today? I did a search and couldn't find anything. Is it a epoxy, urethane or or polyurethane? And does anyone know if a spec sheet for the plastic that is used?

thanks in advance.

Pinky
what skis we looking at? they are not all made out of the same thing...

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am prototyping some parts, and don't want to r and d my own plastic mix.... wondering what everyone else is using for plastic snowmobile parts.... i want something that is not abs, as is available as a mixable 2 part liquid. atm i am looking into tooling urethanes....

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most skis are made from UHMW plastic, which is injection molded. Any liquid mixes will be substantially heavier, and not near as flexible.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what He ^^^^ said. Most are injections, most are UHMW or some derivative. Not sure what kinds or parts you are making but ABS is too brittle for a lot of things, urethanes...... not sure what you are making (sled parts?) so hard to say. One option might be an LLDPE or HDPE plastic but again, don't know what you are making. Other options are vacuum extraction molding/pressure molding if you have a part to mold it around, generally more suited for thinner materials though.

Top Bottom