What type of Bear is this?

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This bear was North of Grande Cache, past the coal mine.

Have shown a few people the pictures, and there seems to be some confusion as to what breed.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WHO CARES, IT'S TOO BIG AND BAD TO BE THAT CLOSE TOO...... YOU ONE BRAVE MAN. HOPE YOU WERE INSIDE YOUR TRUCK? LOOKS LIKE A BROWN BEAR..... AND IT ALMOST LOOKS HUNGRY/SKINNY.:eek:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is similar to the grizzly cub I saw in Kananaskis. I would say it is Juvinile Grizzly. The head sure looks like a brown/black bear and no hump shoulders but the color was too light to be a brown or a black - when i saw the sow then it was obvious. Nice pictures - how close were you ? . I would say this spring's cub of a grizzly.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be a cinnimon. but looks like a brown or black. But just a young buggy, but he will be a big one some day soon.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at first glance i was thinking brown/black. however on further look may be small grizz. ears are to big for a black and pointy kinda. blacks have shorter rounder ears i think kinda like a teddy bear.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To answer your question, I was way too close. After these photo's he went back into the thicker under brush. I was trying to get "one more picture please", and he kept looking down or away. I thought putting my hands over my head and growling at him would get his attention. Who ever said "make yourself look bigger then the bear" is full of crap. As soon as I did that, he charged. Them buggers got some speed. Frickin smacked my head good jumpin into the truck.

Koby

I talked to the warden about these type of situations and he said
- no running no sudden movments
- no growling ( only soft tone non threatening tone or yelling )
- move away delibratley and slowly ( until they charge )
- young bears are the most unpredictable ( always hungry for food and kicked around from territory to territory from larger stronger / older bears that own the territory. The only exception is bears that hang around the landfills and dumps ( alot of food to go around in dumps ).
Sorry to hear about the head injury ( getting into the truck) but it is good that your okay . This story had a good ending with some awesome pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm saying Black Bear.

No distinct hump. Butt higher than shoulders. Down turning nose, not scooped up like a Grizz. Bigger more pointed ears like a black. Can't really tell if the claws are long or short, but look short from what I can see.

Try this Montana Gov training program and see what you decide then:

Great pics, but waaay too close.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Black bear ( black bears can be brown, cinimmon, and blonde...and sometimes white) no hump, flat nose and small ears but zrr beat me to it. Being that skinny pic musta been taken closer to spring right now they are pretty beefy

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this bear was north of grande cache, past the coal mine.

Have shown a few people the pictures, and there seems to be some confusion as to what breed.

after further investigation, it is a muddy polar bear..... You are lucky you seen it!!!

Here's a pic of a polar bear in a winter storm..... Fierce, vicious and hungry!!!:

Awesome picture, eh?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
This bear was North of Grande Cache, past the coal mine.

AFTER FURTHER INVESTIGATION, IT IS A MUDDY POLAR BEAR..... YOU ARE LUCKY YOU SEEN IT!!!

HERE'S A PIC OF A POLAR BEAR IN A WINTER STORM..... FIERCE, VICIOUS AND HUNGRY!!!:

AWESOME PICTURE, EH?

You do have to appreciate that camo job!!! :beer::d:beer:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is clearly a black bear, and whoever was holding the camera is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Unbelievable how ignorant people can be. :nono:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
That is clearly a black bear, and whoever was holding the camera is clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed...

Unbelievable how ignorant people can be. :nono:

I would assume that was telephoto as the bear clearly doesn't care about the folks there. ................. just sayin

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
ive been close to some pretty big black bears while taking pictures or hunting them, if you mkae no sudden movemnts and just watch the bear wont mind, but uasly if im that close to a bear i have my trusty rifle near by as well

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Its a Black/Brown bear and its not that much of a "Baby". I too have been charged by a black bear and had nothing to reteat to that the bear couldn't have gotten me from. I kept my nerve and stood still. Once the bear got to about 30-50 feet he stopped and smacked his lips at me. I had bear spray and was at the ready but never had to pull the trigger. I called back the Chopper that had dropped me off and the pilot chased off the bear with a 150' long line.
Then I changed my shorts.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all the bear attack books you read they say 95% of the time the first charge is a bluff charge. So you are to stand your ground and they will leave. I wonder how they get these numbers, is it fact from the 5% that live through the attack to tell about it or is it fact from the 95% that saw a bear on the side of the road and called that a charge? not sure if i would hav the cones to call a bears bluff.

Top Bottom