What to get? recommendations please

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was going to get a new sled next year but might just ride it for one more winter after this and instead get a quad or two.

I have rode a quad once before for ( 10min :d ) but checking out this forum and having buddies into makes this a summer hobby MUST.

Here is what i was thinking:
1. get 1, 4x4 with a back seat for my wife and I
2. get 2, 4x2 for the two of us
3. get 2, 4x4 a 300cc for my wife
4. get 2, 4x4 that also have 4x2 like the Yamaha wolverine

My budget is $10k total.
We have some friends that are all 4x4 can-am, brute force riders and another group of friends that have dirt bikes. Would like something that can fit into both categories.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it depends on how and where you will be riding........either way it is a fun and great way to get out and explore.......be surre to keep us posted of your decision on what you get..........plus there are allot of great people on here that can help a guy out when it comes time in choosing/ fixing and trouble shooting..........a welth of knowledge on this site for sure.......cheers!

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah this site is wicked! Great people and great information and help.

I'm located in prince george bc and there are a tone of trails and places to go locally so not sure 100% of what type of riding.
Just want to get started.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the thinking on a Scrambler?

I was doing some searching and found this: https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f26/trade-scrambler-29969.html

Garryese mentioned that, "Be sure the Scrambler will serve your use of a quad. Remember: No low range and very limited selction of tires. It will never be a mud bogger and it will never be as manuoverable as a sport quad."

So whats the main purpose of the Scrambler or Wolverine?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned 7 Scramblers. Given the proper conditions, for me, there is nothing more fun to ride. They are cheap to buy, and cheapish to maintain. As stated before, they will never be an all-out mud machine, but they do okay...you just have to be prepared to get dirty. Do a clutch kit, pipe, and tires, and they are a very capable quad. Just don't expect to run with the big dogs, like the Renegades and Outlanders. For $10,000, you can buy 2 used Scramblers, a trailer, and still have cash left over for :beer: I just sold a really nice shape 2005 Scrambler for $2750.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned 7 Scramblers. Given the proper conditions, for me, there is nothing more fun to ride. They are cheap to buy, and cheapish to maintain. As stated before, they will never be an all-out mud machine, but they do okay...you just have to be prepared to get dirty. Do a clutch kit, pipe, and tires, and they are a very capable quad. Just don't expect to run with the big dogs, like the Renegades and Outlanders. For $10,000, you can buy 2 used Scramblers, a trailer, and still have cash left over for :beer: I just sold a really nice shape 2005 Scrambler for $2750.

Were they the 400 2 stroke or the 500 4stroke?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goodngrubby isn't fibbing...Scrammys are reasonably fun, and reasonably sporty, and reasonably capable as 4x4's....but be prepared for a LOT OF MAINTENANCE AND UPKEEP. These are old-school machines and will nickel and dime you (more like 50 and 100 buck you) to death. For exploring trails with the wife, I'd find a used Outlander Max 650 or 800. If you want two machines and MUST stay under your budget....look at a Big Bear for her and a Grizzly for you....both a couple of years old and you should stay under the budget.

Last edited:

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Just a note,,,, are you a self fixer???? What does PG have for shops??? I know that some places are limited for parts, mechanics and sales,,,, I myself would steer clear of polaris,, have no luck with them x 2!!!! one used 2 stroke and a 400 sportsman from new ,,, if you have minimal expierence on quads and want to take your wife, think of what you can do on a 2x4, not much!!!! get stuck and her all muddy,,, maybe not a good combination, is she going to drive??? $ stroke 4x4 are all around good for doubling,, watch the hills going up so you dont flip over backwards,,,,,,, I think a 400 may be a little small for 2 ppl in hilly country. a 500 is all around good,,, go too big with not much expierence and you can have problems.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goodngrubby isn't fibbing...Scrammys are reasonably fun, and reasonably sporty, and reasonably capable as 4x4's....but be prepared for a LOT OF MAINTENANCE AND UPKEEP. These are old-school machines and will nickel and dime you (more like 50 and 100 buck you) to death. For exploring trails with the wife, I'd find a used Outlander Max 650 or 800.

nickle and diming is never fun but fixing things on your own is something i'm looking forward to and learning more about. However if my wife isn't super stoked on getting a quad then i will get something bigger thinking of a Brute Force. I love can-am but pricey $$$.

Safari Guy, PG has every manufacture and a tone of small repair shops. I wasn't thinking of dbling up on the Scramblers but getting 2, one for me and one for her. I will definitely look into the Bear and Grizzly.

mustange70

Reaction score
Scramblers are very good, and very simple the 400's go like crazy, and there is tons of aftermarket support for them, add to that they are relatively inexpensive (they are relatively cheap to buy new, and good ones tend to hold value a bit better, for 4grand you can get a very nice machine), you have a winner.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advise is one each.
You can follow each other around.
If stuck can pull the other one out.

The brand really does not matter as long as your having fun......and be safe.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get 2 machines for sure. If I were you I would get hondas to start with their reliability is unbeatable and are still lots of fun to ride. I would go with either a 350 or a 450 foreman they also hold their value fairly well . Dont get with 2 wheeldrives especially for your first machine. You will spend all your time hooking up winches, and really what fun are quads when you can't go mudding ;)

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I think you must have sold that 2005 Scrambler to my neighbour Barry. Last winter riding on the river, he had a tough time keeping up with me on my 400 Scrambler with his 450 Yamaha sport quad. Was the Scambler you sold black with yellow flames? I think the Scrambler is a good fun machine for the price you can get them for.
Trench

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Polaris 500cc 4x4 sportsman and it has a seat for the GF and we both really like it. I would go with a big quad so you can enjoy all terrain and not be getting stuck. The big quads have a great amount of clearance so you can go through the big ruts left by the other big quads without getting stuck. Sports quads will bottom out and you have to find other ways around the big rutts which might involve making your own path if none exist. I've had to chop/saw down trees to make a path around because none existed and the sports quad is to light to push trees over, all while feeling the pressure from friends on the big quads sitting on the other side of the obsticle wanting me to hurry up because they want to keep going. Also the sport quads won't be as smooth of ride as a big quad with independent rear suspension. I started with a sports quad and the GF was getting bounced all over and was sore the next day not making the sport very fun for her. So we sold the sports quad and got the Polaris, its smooth and neither her or I are sore after a ride. I would never go back to sports quad again. Being a lady and If it's her first time out getting stuck all the time and bounced all over the place will leave a bad taste in her mouth and you don't want that. Hopefully you can be one of the rare few who gets your wife to enjoy the sport so make her first ride a great ride, first impression will be critical. I only have one quad that both me and my GF share driving. If I had the room I would have two quads so you can pull each other out of the mud when you do get stuck. Sometimes you can't find a good tree to winch to. This is just my opinion after trying both types of quads so those of you with sports quads I mean no harm, as long as you enjoy your quad that's all that matters :beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you must have sold that 2005 Scrambler to my neighbour Barry. Last winter riding on the river, he had a tough time keeping up with me on my 400 Scrambler with his 450 Yamaha sport quad. Was the Scambler you sold black with yellow flames? I think the Scrambler is a good fun machine for the price you can get them for.
Trench

Yep, that is the one. He got a pretty good deal on a great quad. Hopefully he gets more use out of it than my wife did, she never put one mile on it.:d

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i really like the scrambler but i here what was said about the ride and i want my wife to LOVE quading cuz she will not get a snowmobile.

Whats the difference between the Honda Forman, Rancher and Rubicon?

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a 2009 honda rancher 420 great quad has IRS so the ride is very nice this one has GPS and is ES or fully automatic.i have it for sale as we dont use it enough,asking 5500 has 300km but for a S&M USER 5000 PM if intrested live in chetywnd

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also between the rancher, foreman, rubicon the rancher is the only one with efi and IRS. i have had all 3 andthe rancher has close to the same top end as the rubicon more then the foreman and is lighter and easier to toss around.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend a 420 rancher. We had two and went throughout 3 transmissions and 5 work orders between 2 of them. That is with only about 1500 kms each. Honda really dropped the ball with those quads. Bet decision we made was upgrading to the 500s. Still not as reliable as my 350 and don't have the power of my brute, but still awesome machines.

Top Bottom