What sled to get need help. (Switchback Assault, RMK or Summit)

colin88a

Reaction score
So I getting a new sled for next year and wants some opinions right now I leaning towards the switchback even though i am a major ski-doo fan. I ride about 40 trail 40 off trail and 20 utility (hunting etc..) but I am a off trail in the trees as much as i can and ts my favorite but i aint going stop riding just cause sometimes the girlfriend or family wants a trail ride and also in labrador we get tos of snow so it takes a while to melt and isnt good offtrail so i aint going stop riding so trails it is and well hunting and cabin i crawl through woods and the trees get pretty thick in labrador so opinions please cause here what i think so far. I a big doo fan they seem more redefined i trust them and think they are reliable and ngines are great but i have driven a 08 renegade ade into a backcountry pretty much and i just find that so hard to throw around so i not sure i want a xp also i think doo will be replacing that chassis in their 2014 year or around then and i would so want that one but i cant afford it and dont do the whole trade and sale thing every two years. And i really think the being able to throw the sled around is supper important but i dont find that with the doo even though not a summit and i here the polaris is amazing for it and the one i tried for a few min seemed really good to throw around. Now between the polaris sleds rmk or switch i think the 155 would be to much for the trail i do so the 144 and 2in lug would be better even thought the added 155 floatation would be great and consider in a summit but if the polaris is so tippy as they say i dont think it be to great a idea. And switchback has to get skis replaced cause they no good and after having a sled with a 42 in ski stance for long time and having a 38in ski stance on a few sleds i didnt think i would ever buy a 42 in ski stance sled but i here its tippy and then there is the option of the 600 rmk which got the right track and ski stance and skis but its a 600 maybe i could deal with that i an average guy about 6 ft and little out of shape and overweight but not enough i think i need a 800 for. But i ride and love riding so maybe a 800 best but 600 does have way better reliability and long lasting so ideas. and the 600 got ch!t shocks so anyways right now i figure i get the switchback assault lower gearing clutch kit and 2in track and gripper skis or aftermarket if anyone knows better still debating mid or low windshield so ideas on that to are great but basically i want to see if i can create a discussion for opinions on these sleds or for basically the 50 50 rider who prefers off trail but cant afford to have two sleds or replace tracks every year and still be happy on those trails to i gotta take a few of them to get off trail. so sorry for the supper long book i wrote but let me know i figure I will buy around snow check and any ideas on most get aftermarket stuff to for these sleds. So please give opinions guys/girls.

arcticcat1

Reaction score
Go check out the Arctic Cat XF 800, drive it ,see if you like it. The best 2 stroke engine for reliability and power in the industry, see if you like the ride and the style. Considering the type of riding you do it sound like you would be doing yourself a favour to at least look at it.

Reactions: RXN

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go check out the Arctic Cat XF 800, drive it ,see if you like it. The best 2 stroke engine for reliability and power in the industry, see if you like the ride and the style. Considering the type of riding you do it sound like you would be doing yourself a favour to at least look at it.

Can't go wrong with the Arctic Cat CrossFire's or XF's as they are now called. I ride in the mountains with mine. I do a lot of bush riding around Swan Hills. Its the little sled that could. and price wise too, (well when I bought in 09) cheap.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of guys are going to laugh at me, but if you want a sled that's good for hunting and off and on trail. The Tundra extreme is supposed to a nice sled for that it's got a 154 and a 600 engine. And is it super light but it might not be as sporty as you would want.

colin88a

Reaction score
LOL ya i sure i would get a few more replies with better grammer lol but a I am an engineer and grammer is diffinetly to my strong suit. The tundra extreme is actually very clese to what I want accept the 2.25 lug which I think would nee to be replaced a lot but I do like to mess around hit the odd jump and drift and I dont think the front struts would work good for that so thats why I took that sled off my list. The freeride I here is a bit better then the backcountry I heard to lay over but I dont want a coupled suspension cause you give up tp much in the snow so I would do the 146 which seems good but its so close to the summit and since I no the summit handels on trail I would but my only concerns about the summit is does it still feel like its always wanting to be laid flat like it did before the new s36 front end or whatever its called. SO thats the only reason I am considering a different sled because I am a huge doo fan even though if they come out with a new chassis next year I would so give that a shot in a sec. THose who suggest either a yamaha four stroke is to heavy and those with artic cat even though they tend to perform amazing and some of the best over my years sledding i have lost count of the amount of times I have had to tow home or cut short a ride do to a cat. Not saying it is cat in particular cause I from a small town and I do question the cat dealerships workforce here in work on your sled while u got warrently or initial put together they just are really crappy I even had a buddy who when they change a certain part for the front rad inthe tunnel of his old original style mountain cat they didnt tighten the bolts when they put the suspension back in and the rails and rest of suspension all went through the track wasnt pretty and thats just the start of it so I not even bothering with them. O and a friend I no got one a new xf turbo with the 50th anneversiry or what not but has had nothing but issues with it you may even start it up and it will start in reverse but without the beep and when you give it gas you go backwards and didnt no it so I not going there either. But I will agree I bet the cat does handle well with enough power but I just not risking the ch!t I seen from them over the years. SO any other opinions personal one from people who bought these sleds are nice espically compared to what other sleds they drove. I know there is no excat answer but opinions can help me make up my mined.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my 03 800 vertical escape,nicest sled ever in my 40 yrs of sledding,my son just sold his 2010 800 Assault..that was even better..
have a old Polaris 600 136 2 in now, plenty powerful,we dont mountain ride ,so was no use having those big machines..

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think the etec in a 146 154 would be a good fit (and i ride a cat), theres a 163 in our group and i tried it, like the narrow stance, way easier to throw around compared to other years of the xp, for a bone stock sled its dam good, just my 2 cents

Top Bottom