what sled to buy

makin tracks

Reaction score
looking for a new sled, been a while, looking for reliable, best looking, best climber, light weight. any suggestions?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These days, I don't feel there is a bad sled, (They all have their quirks) so it really comes down to having a good dealer. Any machine can have issues, and if your dealer will do his best to keep you on the snow, that is the route I'd take. Try to take a few for a ride and see what fits "you" the best.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to pick up a 15 or 14 low mileage possibly even new Polaris Pro 800 RMK in a 155" track for all around sledding or 163" for more mountain powder. There are some great deals out there. Welcome back to the sport!

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO stay away from the 4 strokes for what you are looking for, you might be able to pick up a leftover Polaris for fairly cheap, but all the new sleds seem to be pretty good, mostly just personal preference. If I were getting a new 16 I'd get the new Polaris pro 800 with a 163x3 track

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
As everyone says there are no bad sleds. I personally like some of the features of a new cat. I think this is one we're all waiting to see what the new 3" track and re designed machine will do. One thing I can say for sure they can handle the trails and survive Avalanche with no issues. Seen it myself last season. My nephew was on a good climb and that's when **** hit the fan. He new it was risky but survived after pulling the pack cord and the sled had slightly bent bars. He first comment was sure glad he was on the cat not his own sled or there would be garage sale.

ACP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I would suggest a 163 doo or 162 cat

Agreed, and proven I hope the new polaris has a good engine now and fixed some other issues because it is a very nice platform. They all good and they all break period

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all sleds have there good and there bad,just like vehicles.it comes down to what feels comfortable to you,what type of riding etc.if you have any buddies with different model sleds if possible try different model sleds if you havent ridden any for awhile, i personally dont like the way polaris handles,but i ride a summit and am use to how it handles. as for what different sleds will do{eg hill climb} that depends alot on the rider,the rider can make a sled either look good or bad

SteveM1100T

Reaction score
I agree with OneOldFart, find a good dealer with good service, all the sleds now days are good and all have their quirks, I ride a AC M1100T, lot's of guy's don't like them, I love mine, not a single issue yet, all depends on who ya ask, basically will come down to who ya want to deal with and what YOU like best

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As per above, it all depends on the type of riding you do, and what you feel responds to your rider input the best which means seat time on each sled if possible. The new sleds are so much better than what was available through the mid 2000's, chassis, track,and engine that you really cant go wrong. In my riding group we have a 15 pro 155, 15 Summit 174 , 14 Proclimb 153 and a 10 IQ 155. And we all love what we ride for different reasons. I would be a vote for a pro 14-16 if you can find new or used with low miles. IMO superior mountain chassis for re learning mountain riding. Great technology and a (good) engine that you will have lots of fun on getting back into the sport! If you are wanting a good reliable sled and are willing to sacrifice some power I would suggest finding a 600 pro! Good luck in your search!

Top Bottom