What sled/bike/ATV modifications have you done to make riding easier?

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I saw this discussion on SW and thought it was a great chance to share ideas and tips on how to make life easier when riding.

My hubby made me a homemade left-hand throttle for my sled. I love it and use it only when in a tight situation. Have to be careful where it is positioned though, cuz you can end up grabbing a handful of throttle when you really wanted the brake.

I am also a big fan of handlebar risers. I have had them on pretty much every sled I have owned.

Track -- I replaced my Power Claw with a 156 Camo Extreme from Tracks Canada and it is so much better for traction. It helps in deep powder when I lift off the throttle and get back into it.

I wear glasses but can't stand contacts... so I have a 'glasses' insert for my goggles that is so easy to use and doesn't fog up much. Being able to see is probably my number one riding modification.. hahaha.

What little tricks have you found helps make life easier on the dirt or snow?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, the Phazer Turbo has a few sweet things done- track extended from 144" to 151", a lefty's throttle, cat bars with risers installed, RSI extra-hot heated handgrips, PowerMadd hand guards, Better Boards installed, sway bar removed for better steering.

The new M8 has absolutely no mods- except for the windshield that removed itself upon rolling :p After 2 rides, I am thinking that I will put some risers in, install a new can and the Boss seat is already on order to lift me up a few inches...

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The coolest thing I've been riding with on my ATV is also handlebar risers :eek: I installed a 2" ROX riser with Pro Taper High Rise bars on my Outlander 800 and I love it. I'm a standup kind of guy while riding and this lets me feel as comfortable on my quad as I doo on my sled. I highly recommend it to any aggressive dirt rider. Happy New Year everyone :beer: :beer: :beer:

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 RMK 700 but kinda out road the stock sled at the end of year 2 of riding....I didnt want a new sled cause this one rocks and I love it and handle it well just needed a bit more power...

So Yes ...number one is the handle bar riser!!! Then comes the can, pipe, clutch kit and wow now it is perfect again...I had a group of guys ask me 2 days ago if I had grown up on my sled...NOPE just starting my 3rd year ever!! But its my sled that makes life awesome....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For some of you ladies that maybe a little "lighter" or shorter than your male riding partners, you can buy ATV bars made by Renthal/Pro Taper that are taller and wider than the standard sled bars you are currently riding with. This allows you more leverage for sidehilling (able to get farther off the side of the sled), more leverage on turning (multiplied force on the pivot location due to longer fulcrum lengths/more mechanical advantage) and increased height.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For some of you ladies that maybe a little "lighter" or shorter than your male riding partners, you can buy ATV bars made by Renthal/Pro Taper that are taller and wider than the standard sled bars you are currently riding with. This allows you more leverage for sidehilling (able to get farther off the side of the sled), more leverage on turning (multiplied force on the pivot location due to longer fulcrum lengths/more mechanical advantage) and increased height.

Agreed! I have ProTapers on my Suzuki 400DRZ and I absolutely love them, as I am both "lighter" (as you put it) and taller than most riders. Only downside: hurts more when you fly over them :nono:

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those handlebars might be an option for me. My boyfriend always tells me to put my hand under the handlebar and hold the throttle in certain area's but what he doesnt understand is my hands / arms aren't long enough and dont reach hahaha

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your opinions on the lefty throttle......I find I am really good at throttle side....sidehilling but not that good the other way....Its the beginning of my 3rd year sledding and I am getting good but still want to be better going left to right.....

Ladies mainly your opinions please....:d

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is your opinions on the lefty throttle......I find I am really good at throttle side....sidehilling but not that good the other way....Its the beginning of my 3rd year sledding and I am getting good but still want to be better going left to right.....

Ladies mainly your opinions please....:d

My hubby installed one for me before the season this year and I havent used it at all. I am just too afraid to squeeze it instead of the brake and really launch myself into a bad situation. When I was in Revy, a guy we met on the hill noticed my Lefty's throttle and launched into a tirade about how "real riders" should never have to use them and in this sledding DVD series that he bought a famous sledder talks about how unneccessary and unsafe they are. I can't remember the name of the DVD or the famous sledder, but it made me even that much more uneasy.

All that being said, I have to say that I have a hard time on that side too! Sometimes I lean across the sled to reach the throttle and it throws my weight the wrong way and then I am fighting to keep from rolling down the slope.

OR, there was the time I accidentally fell into the throttle and sprained my thumb and my hand and wrist turned black and blue. Of course, I continued to sled for the rest of the trip, despite the pain. It tooks months to heal the sprain, and I could barely hold my professional camera (about 15lbs) by the time wedding season started again. Not good! The thumb only regained its normal size and shape about 2 months ago!!

And so, now I am thinking I should go out in a field that is free of life-taking trees and cliffs and rocks and practice with the ol' Lefty's Throttle!!

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my left hand throttle, I don't use it all the time but it is nice to have in a sticky situation. Some people are really for them and others are really against them. I had one 'incident' where i grabbed a handful of left throttle when I wanted brake and I learned from that. I ended up turning the whole assembly down so it isn't as easy to reach but you still can if you make an effort. I couldn't mistake the brake for throttle now if I tried as it is vertically down from my grip.. lol.

I believe that you should do what you want to do, not because someone told you your not a 'real rider' because of it. Try it and if you don't like it then take it off. My hubby made mine out of an old bicyle brake so it didn't cost anything but time. I do recommend you use a tether if your using any type of additional throttle system.

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Mamma and Piggy.....thanks for the advise and I totally think I will be trying to convince my other half to put one on my sled too...I like the idea of turning it down so it is harder to reach...I have seen that before and it makes sense....

Hope to see you ladies on the slopes some day....:d:beer:

Top Bottom