What size should the perfect snowmobile storage unit be?

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a call from a developer building a self-storage facility in Valemount. They have a large piece of land and are building steel structures on it to target the snowmobiling market. They posed this question: What size do you make the individual units? Now before you ask me when, where, who, and how much, I can't say that until they give me the okay.

I haven't given them any responses yet, but I have a few thoughts. Sleds keep getting longer, so there has to be some room to move and to accommodate future 196" track lengths. Go ahead and laugh, but if someone told me 10 years ago that I would be riding a 162" track, I would have said, "That there's crazy talk.".

-What if it was built to stack one machine over another? That would require some internal racks and it may not be worth the cost.

-Perhaps the units should be big enough to fit sleds on a trailer?

-Maybe a fenced, alarmed, video monitored yard would be good to lock up trailers?

-Is it better to build units to fit 1-2 sleds? 4-6? etc.

-What about quads, golf carts, rhinos, and other things that are getting more popular in town. Okay, there's only one golf cart I'm aware of, but you never know...

They will also ask me what other features would be of value and the best ways to draw in business.

If anyone has seen pictures of the perfect storage facility for toys, please post a picture or a link.

I've told them this is the place to get info directly from the sledding experts. Thanks for the help, as usual.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WELL since i already had this all planned out for me and a partner in valemount i guess i will share my thoughts since it apears you are ahead of me LOL.

first off i think its a valid idea. consider the costs of hauling a 26 foot enclosed with 4 sleds and gear. its at least an extra 150-200$ id say per trip if not more in a diesel from edmonton. let alone sask or something... if you ride 2-3 weekends a month and only in valemount which alot of people do then why not.

a couple things i came across when brainstorming was the fact that most peopl are not going to be considering a full time unit. your going to want to have someone there to deal with or be on call to meet people to store sleds temporarily. due to some circumstances most mountain sleds have to come home alot of the time anyways for repairs maintenance and upgrades. so it may be a problem getting someone to pay x$$$ per month to have a unit when there toy is down and out for a month. i think most business will come from people that plan to ride the following weekendor next and dont need to bring home the rig. so i would set aside some short term storage units for situations like that.

now that brings up the question of access. people want at there stuff. no matter what time. but if there are short term users theres no point setting up card passes or anything like that.
as far as storage units themselves....

consider this..

if someone is leaving an enclosed trailer or not enclosed whichever. it most likely sits outside anyways. why not just set aside some outside open yard space. i dont see someone paying EXTRA to have there enclosed trailer enclosed providing sufficient security is available. heck some people will even leave there sleds outside with tarps on im sure.

the next option would be to have a COVERED storage space. just 3 walls and a roof sort of deal to protect from the elements. whether its boats/quads/sleds whatever.

My plan was to have SEA cans to store snowmobiles then bridge a roof across between 2 of them to store trailers.

if you want to build sled specific PODS to store machines then we know they most likely arent getting any wider so around 4 feet wide is safe. and the longest machines now CAN be up to 12 feet long but most are around 11. so i would make them 15 long to be safe for a couple years anyways!!

i would stay away from the double decker idea. seems to me that might be a hassle and most people will want to dump there stuff and get back to town.

as far as putting complete trailers inside its not a bad idea. i would make a few units for that. maybe 5 or so that can handle a 26-35ft trailer. because you never know there might be the odd person who wants there rig completely enclosed and secure.

as far as security obviously a good tall fence with angled razor wire is a good idea. some good lights in the four corners and a video system wouldnt be a bad idea even if someone is theere alot of the time.

i wouldnt let anyone have access without someone being there.

i know i wouldnt store my stuff if everyone has access without supervision and the coresponding tag to what they are picking up etcetc...

for features im sure everyone will be happy as long as they have someone to contact ALMOST 24/7 to get there units. considering most people show up between 9pm-1am and will want there stuff that night.

maybe some power hookups to charge trailer batterys, melt things,

i know i like to wash my stuff before i store it so maybe a quick rinse down hose.

but you should be washing your things at valemount house of trailers anyways!!

dont forget a good parking lot subgrade and well compacted gravel or whichever for all the big rigs turning around and backing up etcetc.

/end rant

good luck!! hope it flies its a good idea.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great thoughts. I had the same feelings as you, but I am years away from doing a business like this myself. These people already run this type of business in Alberta, so they are ready to go. I will fire the ideas to them later this week.

I thought about the sea cans too, as they are cheap and work great. I have seen some amazing stuff done with those cans to even make them look good. I didn't think of spacing them and covering the gap. Good idea.

Is house of trailers your business? I haven't been over there yet.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no its not. theyve just been good to me. coming in after hours to fix blown tires on my sled trailers and whatnot.

came across one of these today

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking for one of those. Do you have any info on them?

no its not. theyve just been good to me. coming in after hours to fix blown tires on my sled trailers and whatnot.

came across one of these today

Top Bottom