What Size Axles On Your Trailer???

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Have You Ever Actually Thought About The Axle Size On Your Trailers....... I'm Struggling With What Size Axles Should Be On An Enclosed Trailer....
Eg: 28ft Enclosed Trailer
3500lb Axles = 7000lb Gvw Minus The Average Trailer Weight Of 3850lbs = 3150lbs Of Payload Capacity.
Now Consider:
-4 Sleds At 600lbs+each(fully Loaded/gassed And Ready To Go) = 2400#
-6 Jerry Cans Or More Fuel & Oil & Lubes = 150#
-clothes, Helmets, Gear For 4+ Sledders = 300#
-tools, Cabinets, Equipment, Sare Tire, Extra Trailer Equipment = 300#(or More)

Add The Weight Of All The Stuff We Cram Inside Enclosed Trailers And The Total Weight Would Be 3150lbs, Which Is What The Maximum Payload Capacity Is. Now Consider Throwing That 5th Sled And An Extra Person And Gear Into The Equation And That Trailer Is Already Way Overloaded........ What Would Your Thoughts Be On This?? Guess One Would Have To Get The 5200lb Axles, Eh??

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey Summitric.... Without all the details..I have one w/3500 lb. If I donot sell I am going to yank the running gear for 5200 lb. It is a 24'. It is your call... I made mistake once, Not twice !:twocents:

Last edited:
  • Staff

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Hey Summitric.... Without all the details..I have one w/3500 lb. If I donot sell I am going to yank the running gear for 5200 lb. It is a 24'. It is your call... I made mistake once, Not twice !:twocents:

YOU SAYIN' YOUR SELLIN' YOUR TRAILER??? OR YOU'RE REPLACING THE AXLES AND KEEPIN' IT???

Last edited by a moderator:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Summitric, Mike was over tonight and I confirmed that his unit is 3500 lb axles. He said that when he bought (wife actually surprised him with it for his birthday) it 5 years ago the 5200 lb axles were not readily availble. If he were to do it again he would go with the 5200.

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have You Ever Actually Thought About The Axle Size On Your Trailers....... I'm Struggling With What Size Axles Should Be On An Enclosed Trailer....
Eg: 28ft Enclosed Trailer
3500lb Axles = 7000lb Gvw Minus The Average Trailer Weight Of 3850lbs = 3150lbs Of Payload Capacity.
Now Consider:
-4 Sleds At 600lbs+each(fully Loaded/gassed And Ready To Go) = 2400#
-6 Jerry Cans Or More Fuel & Oil & Lubes = 150#
-clothes, Helmets, Gear For 4+ Sledders = 300#
-tools, Cabinets, Equipment, Sare Tire, Extra Trailer Equipment = 300#(or More)

Add The Weight Of All The Stuff We Cram Inside Enclosed Trailers And The Total Weight Would Be 3150lbs, Which Is What The Maximum Payload Capacity Is. Now Consider Throwing That 5th Sled And An Extra Person And Gear Into The Equation And That Trailer Is Already Way Overloaded........ What Would Your Thoughts Be On This?? Guess One Would Have To Get The 5200lb Axles, Eh??

Trust me!! spend the extra $$ and get the heavier axles. We straighten hundreds of axles every year and everyone says the same thing "I should of got heavier axles" or "How much $$ to convert over to heavier axles" When I bought my 21 foot enclosed sled trailer it had flexi ride axles under it and it was a nightmare to pulled. I cut them off and built a sub frame and went to tandem 3500lb heavy wall spring susp and it pulls excellent now. 3500lb is heavy enough for that size of trailer but anything larger I would not consider using them.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Trust me!! spend the extra $$ and get the heavier axles. We straighten hundreds of axles every year and everyone says the same thing "I should of got heavier axles" or "How much $$ to convert over to heavier axles" When I bought my 21 foot enclosed sled trailer it had flexi ride axles under it and it was a nightmare to pulled. I cut them off and built a sub frame and went to tandem 3500lb heavy wall spring susp and it pulls excellent now. 3500lb is heavy enough for that size of trailer but anything larger I would not consider using them.

SOOOOOOOO Toeknee ... How much to get some larger iron under the deck (5200 lb) ?

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SOOOOOOOO Toeknee ... How much to get some larger iron under the deck (5200 lb) ?

Your first child and your left nut should just about cover it ha ha
(Just joking) It depends on what you have for a set up under there now (frame structure) and don't forget you will have to swap rims for 6 stud too so there is that extra cost as well. Alot of times manufactures will put the 5200lb axles under a trailer however they still use the 3500lb springs, hangers and shackles to cheap out (my new toy hauler holiday trailer that I bought this year is a fine example of that, Project for me next spring to update them)

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Your first child and your left nut should just about cover it ha ha
(Just joking) It depends on what you have for a set up under there now (frame structure) and don't forget you will have to swap rims for 6 stud too so there is that extra cost as well. Alot of times manufactures will put the 5200lb axles under a trailer however they still use the 3500lb springs, hangers and shackles to cheap out (my new toy hauler holiday trailer that I bought this year is a fine example of that, Project for me next spring to update them)

Well.... The first & second child are gone & If I give up the other part.... What then ?? I may be gone also !!! LOL.
Thks for the reply I am aware of of what ya saying .... I will PM you tomorrow on this matter

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

HEY TOEKNEE: SO YOU ARE SAYIN' A 21' ENCLOSED TRIALER IS OKAY WITH THE 3500# AXLES, BUT 24' AND UP REALLY SHOULD BE ON THE 5200# AXLES?? THE BIGGER AXLES ALSO HAVE BIGGER HUBS AND BEARINGS, RIGHT?? I MEANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY, BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE 'DA MAN TO TALK TO..........SOUNDS LIKE YOU DON'T LIKE THE "TORFLEX" AXLES?? SHOULD STICK WITH LEAF SPRINGS??

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just brought my enclosed home and the plate on the side indicates 1500 kgs total cargo or 3300 pounds.I have never been concerned although if you decide to bring everything including the kitchen sink you may have issues.I think the when buying a trailer for sledding just buy the shell and add just what you need,Small cupboard and mayby a small foldown work table.A few coathooks and leave the rest for the sleds and cargo.All the bells and whistles are nice but I have a hard time justifying a tv, stereo,and a furnace in a sled trailer that your using 7 or 8 times a year.
Just my two cents!
catmando!
Mine is a 24'

Last edited:

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY TOEKNEE: SO YOU ARE SAYIN' A 21' ENCLOSED TRIALER IS OKAY WITH THE 3500# AXLES, BUT 24' AND UP REALLY SHOULD BE ON THE 5200# AXLES?? THE BIGGER AXLES ALSO HAVE BIGGER HUBS AND BEARINGS, RIGHT?? I MEANT TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY, BECAUSE YOU WOULD BE 'DA MAN TO TALK TO..........SOUNDS LIKE YOU DON'T LIKE THE "TORFLEX" AXLES?? SHOULD STICK WITH LEAF SPRINGS??

Both style have their advantages and disadvantages
*Flexride/Torque Flex/Rubber torsion axles do not have the ability to equalize the weight between the axles when going over uneven terrain, hence greater potential to over loading one of the axles. Also you must ensure that when towing with flex ride axles that the trailer is towed level so that once again you are not stressing one axle more than the other. They are pretty tough to straighten if bent, initial cost higher(and if need to replace them). Low maintenance though and lots of people seem to like the ride and say they are smoother than springs.
*Spring susp. weight is equalized between axles on uneven terrain through the center equalizers. Initial cost is cheaper, can be straightened with relitive sucess depending on the extent and location of damage. Higher maintenace do to spring pin, bushing, shackle and hanger wear. Those cheap little plastic bushings installed from factory don't last very long. Dexter has a very nice up grade kit that includes brass bushings and the spirng pins are drilled and fitted with grease zerks so that you can actually service them. The kit also includes greasable equalizers and shackles that are about three times thicker than the originals.
So I guess it is personal preference
Yes you are right heavier axles have larger bearings and hubs as well as heavier brakes.

Quagmire

Senior Sunburnt Member
Reaction score
Hey Summitric, Ron has 5200# on his. It is worth it like Toeknee said. Always go with bigger axles. Last time we wieghed Ron's trailer it was over 8200#. Your truck can handle the wieght.
Steve

summitron

Reaction score
When I bought mine from Advantage trailer last year, They told me that with 3500 lb axles, 4 or more sleds and gear, I could exceed the legal GVW of the trailer and that the D.O.T in BC had been turning guys from alberta around or fining them. Maybe just a good sales pitch, but I paid the Grand and got the heavier axles. I ride Sicamous and Revy all the time and have never been approached by cops or D.O.T at all, let alone anyone worried about my axle weights.

Top Bottom