What rivets to use?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Pop rivets for holding on tunnel braces, and bumper, I have put it together right now with 1/8" aluminum pop rivets for a test fit. Wondering if a guy should do stainless rivets, I'm afraid of having to drill them out after.

Here's what it's looking like with aluminum rivets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 425

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pop rivets for holding on tunnel braces, and bumper, I have put it together right now with 1/8" aluminum pop rivets for a test fit. Wondering if a guy should do stainless rivets, I'm afraid of having to drill them out after.

Here's what it's looking like with aluminum rivets.

Alway's use stainless, aluminum will eventually come loose.
Plus you should be using a power riveter, a hand riveter won't set the rivets as tight.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Princess auto sells a decent pneumatic rivet gun. Be sure not to cheap out and just buy the good one ( The blue one ). I think it is like $150 or so but has lifetime warranty ( of course ) and handles 3/16 stainless rivets better than the others. The real bonus is that after 200 rivets only your trigger finger will feel like you have been working instead of your arms and hands feeling bagged from popping them by hand.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X 3 on stainless rivets! Don't use steel ones because the steel and aluminum will fight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should he be using a washer on the backside of the rivit or no?

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should he be using a washer on the backside of the rivit or no?

No washer needed. The trick though is to use a good quality stainless 3/16 rivet from a fastener supplier and a power riveter.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on how long you plan on keeping the sled, but I told myself I would never use stainless again for the fact if you have to do any repairs the stainless are a pain in the ass to remove.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Arctic cat's rivets are a zinc plated steel with steel core. I like the steel because they squeeze and hold better then aluminum, and they aren't as bad to drill out as the stainless. I'm completely at a loss for what to put on, 1/8" or 3/16", stainless for the drop brackets and bumper, and then aluminum with backers for the panels? Or steel on everything? I have no idea anymore.

I have a phneumatic rivet gun, that I LOVE lol princess auto special and it has never given me a single problem, I have a $50 bag of stainless 3/16 rivets(100 pieces) but I used a couple to hold on my cooler, and I tried to grind off the core that never snapped flush or below the cap and holy crap how would anyone ever hope to drill one out...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arctic cat's rivets are a zinc plated steel with steel core. I like the steel because they squeeze and hold better then aluminum, and they aren't as bad to drill out as the stainless. I'm completely at a loss for what to put on, 1/8" or 3/16", stainless for the drop brackets and bumper, and then aluminum with backers for the panels? Or steel on everything? I have no idea anymore.

I have a phneumatic rivet gun, that I LOVE lol princess auto special and it has never given me a single problem, I have a $50 bag of stainless 3/16 rivets(100 pieces) but I used a couple to hold on my cooler, and I tried to grind off the core that never snapped flush or below the cap and holy crap how would anyone ever hope to drill one out...

Ok, maybe this will help you. All the mod shops use stainless when doing tunnel mods or most anything when it comes to fasteners. I have built several mods and have worked with Chad at CR-racing on several projects. My current modified Nytro is fasten together with stainless and has been for several seasons now.

Regular steel will rust unless you paint it or better powdercoat it. Aluminum rivets will come apart or start loosing its grips in little time and your sled will start coming apart. Aluminum rivets are useless for structural strength and in time will fail.

3/16 is what we use.
Yes they are a biotch to remove but the idea is not to remove them. They can be drilled out with a titanium drill bit and an air drill.

You could use aluminum rivets on none structural parts like lights, reflector brackets, plastic cover's etc.

Last edited:

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 2 cr mod pros and just sold my cr mod nytro and everything is 3/16 stainless. For the drop brackets I have stainless socket head button screws just for the reasoning of possibility for replacement of the drop bracket itself. Everything else "should" be a permanent fixture.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok, maybe this will help you. All the mod shops use stainless when doing tunnel mods or most anything when it comes to fasteners. I have built several mods and have worked with Chad at CR-racing on several projects. My current modified Nytro is fasten together with stainless and has been for several seasons now.

Regular steel will rust unless you paint it or better powdercoat it. Aluminum rivets will come apart or start loosing its grips in little time and your sled will start coming apart. Aluminum rivets are useless for structural strength and in time will fail.

3/16 is what we use.
Yes they are a biotch to remove but the idea is not to remove them. They can be drilled out with a titanium drill bit and an air drill.

You could use aluminum rivets on none structural parts like lights, reflector brackets, plastic cover's etc.

I used edge caps to tie in the side panels Witt the top plate since I don't have access to a bender. Every 3" I have a 1/8" rivet to hold it together. I also have the stock extension underneath so there is something to hold it together.

I have 90 or so 3/16" stainless I can use, but they're so damn expensive $50 for 100 pieces. Can a guy get away with using the 1/8" on holding the panels together?

I'll use stainless 3/16" for drop brackets and the bumper and tunnel roll gussets.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure to use the correct length also too long is no good either unless you use a washer on the backside

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used edge caps to tie in the side panels Witt the top plate since I don't have access to a bender. Every 3" I have a 1/8" rivet to hold it together. I also have the stock extension underneath so there is something to hold it together.

I have 90 or so 3/16" stainless I can use, but they're so damn expensive $50 for 100 pieces. Can a guy get away with using the 1/8" on holding the panels together?

I'll use stainless 3/16" for drop brackets and the bumper and tunnel roll gussets.

It should be ok, stainless 1/8 ?
3/16 is the standard used but 3" spacing with 1/8 will be strong.
Is this a tunnel extension?

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2^ used these for my cr boards on my xm back in the beginning of 13 and their still like the day I put them in with a 260lb rider beating on them for 2700 miles

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Accufast for this guy too. 3 different part numbers for the 3 different lengths and very price efficient. Buy 10 or 10000 she's totally your call.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Advantages to living in a large city I guess, no access to those kind of specialty rivets here. I have around 90 3/16" stainless steel, 75 1/8" stainless long pull, 50 1/8" stainless medium pull, and 100 1/8" aluminum backers for a snug fit on the 1/8" rivets.

Made a bumper out of 1/8" thick 6061, nice to know someone with a plasma table. We made it so the bumper handle is raised, so can actually get your hand under it when your stuck and the snowflap is straight out the back.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done 4-5 tunnels with my princess auto pneumatic air riveter.....mattic industries in calgary is where i get my rivets and these are the 3 kinds that are about the best....all 3/16"

Varigrip 2 SS rivet (cr racing uses these) expensive but are the best
Stavex rivets used these on a couple yamahas worked great
solid aluminun hammer rivets...need snapon rivet bars for air hammer....form to out of shape holes and tight fit..requires 2 people and be careful or the tunnel will have smiley faces if you get off the rivet with air hammer

Valonmxz

Reaction score
Ive done 4-5 tunnels with my princess auto pneumatic air riveter.....mattic industries in calgary is where i get my rivets and these are the 3 kinds that are about the best....all 3/16"

Varigrip 2 SS rivet (cr racing uses these) expensive but are the best
Stavex rivets used these on a couple yamahas worked great
solid aluminun hammer rivets...need snapon rivet bars for air hammer....form to out of shape holes and tight fit..requires 2 people and be careful or the tunnel will have smiley faces if you get off the rivet with air hammer

Solid rivets are the best option. They won't come loose
Takes a bit of practice so don't try this until you master is on some scrap.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Anyone ever extend their drop bracket down by bolting another pice to the original drop bracket? I want to lower my drop bracket down about an inch. 2010 m8 drop bracket is what I have on now.

Top Bottom