What rivets to use?

geo

Reaction score
Anyone ever extend their drop bracket down by bolting another pice to the original drop bracket? I want to lower my drop bracket down about an inch. 2010 m8 drop bracket is what I have on now.

Lots of bolted on drop brackets out there on older sleds. 3 bolt triangle is overkill.

SS and aluminum is an issue on salt water boats so keep your sled covered during tranport.
If your building your own stuff, 1/8 SSxSS is within 10% of 3/16th steel & steel rivet in clamping and shear forces so you can lay out an aircraft pattern and be stronger and lighter.
Aluminum burr on a SS rivet adds nothing. SS burr on SS rivet adds 25% clamping force.
Lots of rivets out there are designed to not use backing burrs. Small town source is hard to find.
Hammer rivets are readily available at your local airport repair strip.

Drilling out SS rivets (pop or hammer) is easy with correct technique. Cobalt drill bit, lots of pressure, very slow speed. Don't be shy. If you let the bit spin, the SS will harden and your done.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I wasn't able to find stainless backers or I would have rather got them, I'll have to see if I can find small washers that will work.

This is the drop bracket I have now, I was going to use the two existing hole in the picture and bolt on a piece of stainless to drop it down to get more clearance.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Well I found 1/8" stainless, and 3/16" stainless, also found stainless backers for the 1/8" at home hardware, and then found stainless washers that worked as backers for the 3/16" rivets. Wish the rivets were black though...

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sharpe or black paint pen mabe???

To get rid of the braces look

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powder coat them. I do it all the time. Get your self a harbour freight gun and a toaster oven. Prob cost you 100. Easy to do.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Sharpe or black paint pen mabe???

To get rid of the braces look
I was thinking a black touch up pen, the one that come with the brush, I was concerned the paint wouldn't stick and I would waste my time painting hundred and some rivets lol.
Powder coat them. I do it all the time. Get your self a harbour freight gun and a toaster oven. Prob cost you 100. Easy to do.
It cost me $88 to get all the black done, powder coated at Dutch industries a shop close by me. Kind hard to powder coat the rivets now that they're popped on the sled. But I am going to look at a powder coat gun and toaster if it's that cheap.

i was also thinking of plastidip, but then it'll probably be easier to just do it with actual paint because it wont rub off.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started with this gun. Found on kijiji or 69us and a used toaster oven.

image.jpg

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I read mixed reviews on that one on the harbour freight website, people said "Eastwood dual voltage" was far better. I am going to keep my eye open for those though, I would like to be able to do my own powder coating small pieces.

anyways, I got it all together, but my drop bracket definately needs a 1" extension. I only have 1/16" clearance to the cooler on the top of my tunnel. Thought I would get away with it, but guess not.

2.25" to the 2.6"

Top Bottom