What quad

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking at buying a trike but think i might be looking for a quad instead... what would be the best race quad or quad to start out with, i never owned a quad but ive riden bikes and sleds all my life, im looking for something more so in the racequad catergory

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much experience you've had with bikes you should be able to adapt to a race quad fairly quickly . Anything under 400cc wouldnt take long for you to get bored of . Id look at a 400ex. A great reliable quad that's alot of fun . Ive also had great experience s with yfz 450s . Probably one of the best 450s I'n my opinion .

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well not quads no but ive had bikes and sleds so im sure it wont take me long, just looking at a 2004 kfx 400 right now whats that like

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've owned or rode most race style quads. if your not too experienced i'm sure you will enjoy whatever you choose. as you get more experience you will know what your riding style best adapts to. they are all decent for the most part. i would highly suggest getting one with reverse. there's no replacment for displacement:d

05Cummins

Reaction score
Don't forget the rengade 500/800 they are sporty but can go more places the a true sport quad.

ABKTM

Reaction score
Love my ktm xc450. Big bores up to 570s available when I get bored. There is also a 525.

J

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends what your doing. YFZ's are the most adaptable to any terrain. They aren't as oriented as say an LT-R.

I'd recommend a YFZ for being tried and trued.

But also a KFX 450, its sorta like the YFZ but could use work. The edge it has over the '04-'08 YFZ's is it has EFI and reverse. Over the '09+ it has reverse.

The KFX responds very well to intake and exhaust mods. Fuel customs can really open it up on the intake side, where ProCircuit makes a good pipe for Kawi.

New tires and a softer seat as well as playing with the shocks and toe in-out will make it a fine quad if you want reverse.

I've owned a YFZ and its a great quad from the get-go and really only needs a pipe to be compeditive.

benclaluna450r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends what your doing. Yfz's are the most adaptable to any terrain. They aren't as oriented as say an lt-r.

I'd recommend a yfz for being tried and trued.

But also a kfx 450, its sorta like the yfz but could use work. The edge it has over the '04-'08 yfz's is it has efi and reverse. Over the '09+ it has reverse.

The kfx responds very well to intake and exhaust mods. Fuel customs can really open it up on the intake side, where procircuit makes a good pipe for kawi.

New tires and a softer seat as well as playing with the shocks and toe in-out will make it a fine quad if you want reverse.

I've owned a yfz and its a great quad from the get-go and really only needs a pipe to be compeditive.
trx?

2010rmk800144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay so how would the 2004 kfx 400 be? the guy is asking like 3200 i think, its got 150 miles on it i do beleive and everythings pretty much brand new, he said he aslo has a pipe on it as well.... good price or no? and is the 400 too small or good enough? im 5'8 155 pounds

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
okay so how would the 2004 kfx 400 be? the guy is asking like 3200 i think, its got 150 miles on it i do beleive and everythings pretty much brand new, he said he aslo has a pipe on it as well.... good price or no? and is the 400 too small or good enough? im 5'8 155 pounds

I had an LT-Z400 for a first sport quad (exactly the same as the KFX 400) and I grew out of it in a year. If you got friends with 450's a 400 won't last you very long and you'll begin to want a 450.

Bottom line, get the 450 if you want it to last. If all your friends got 300-400 class quads then having a 400 won't bother you as much as being at the back of the 450 pack.

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the kfx, Dvx and the ltz are all the same quad, the only diff is the plastics. i wouldnt buy the 2004 though. price is high, there are better deals.
the 2005 and up came with much better shocks, they have reservoirs and are tunable for compression and rebound.
Power wise i think they are great first machine, lots of upgrades and lots of mods/ tweaks . they have lots of torque and are wheelie machines with a 13 tooth sprocket.
unless the pipe is a full exhaust, your just changing your exhaust note, the power difference is negligible.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad you're not a little closer...I'd sell you a really nice shape 2006 400ex with a pipe, K&N, nerfs, for $3200.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the kfx, Dvx and the ltz are all the same quad, the only diff is the plastics. i wouldnt buy the 2004 though. price is high, there are better deals.
the 2005 and up came with much better shocks, they have reservoirs and are tunable for compression and rebound.
Power wise i think they are great first machine, lots of upgrades and lots of mods/ tweaks . they have lots of torque and are wheelie machines with a 13 tooth sprocket.
unless the pipe is a full exhaust, your just changing your exhaust note, the power difference is negligible.

Don't forget they also beefed up the clutch and made it a little more powerful for '05.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KFX are excellent machines. I like the way they feel compared to others. The hondas feel like you are riding a brick(or arctic cat:d) never been on a Suzuki but if I were you I'd go kawi or yamaha. Both make good machines. KTM makes a decent machine to but for a first quad probably not the best idea.

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KFX are excellent machines. I like the way they feel compared to others. The hondas feel like you are riding a brick(or arctic cat:d) never been on a Suzuki but if I were you I'd go kawi or yamaha. Both make good machines. KTM makes a decent machine to but for a first quad probably not the best idea.

just to reiterate, if your looking at the 400 class.
KFX- kawasaki, Arctic Cat- DVX, Suzuki LTZ are the same machine. they only differ in plastics and seat design. they are all suzuki's design though except for aforementioned. Most prefer the suzuki version because of the wider seat, kinda t shaped. this site is the best resource i can find on the web for this machine.
Suzuki Z400 Forum : Z400 Forums
check it out

Last edited:
Top Bottom