what oil are people using in there big V twins

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an S&S 113 in my bourget chopper what oil are u using and i only have 700km so not sure if i should put synthetic oil in yet and what oil u running in the tranny thanks colin:)

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amsoil...... In all three holes. 110 SE

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screamin' Eagle® SYN3® Full Synthetic Motorcycle Lubricant - SAE 20W50

Engine, primary and tranny! ;)

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as you have ran it hard a couple of times to seat the rings you should be good to go to synthetic. If you babied it then take it out for another 100k and run it hard, do several full throttle runups, don't stay at any one rpm level for more than a few minutes but really work those rings in before the switch. Amsoil is as good as any oil out there and I use it myself though for my bike I use Victory synthetic.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use Motul in my V-Star and also in my race quads and bikes.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amsoil. Use it in everything I own, sleds, quads, vehicles, motorhome. Can't go wrong. Like Orrin say's make sure you've done a couple hard pulls on it to seat the rings well.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Here's what you need for each hole.

Redline 20/50 Synthetic in the motor 3.5 quarts (Assuming S&S Block)
Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil in the trans case (Less than 1 Quart)
Redline MTL in the Primary 1.25 Quarts (until you can see it at bottom of clutch)

You can do a search for dealers from the Redline website. I buy it from a couple performance shops in Calgary like Mopac. Great stuff!

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amsoil in both bikes, all 3 holes
Amsoil in sleds
Amsoil in the Dodge
Amsoil in everything
Have never had an oil related failure in any thing I've owned.
I do tend to agree with a couple of the other fellas, I would run it like you stole it for at least 1500k before going synthetic

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run the break in as per the motor manufacturer recommendations. The days of 1000 km ring seatings are over for most motors. With most of the newer materials and better machining precision, it only takes a few hundred KM to break in the rings on most modern engines at best usually. A lot of the synthetic myths from years gone by are no longer true with the better oils we have today, they do not have as many solvents in them, which makes them easier on seals etc. Synthetic is also more heat tolerant and will not break down as easily under high temps, as well, it does not build up acidity like conventional oil. Hope that helps.

FYI - Dodge puts synthetic oil in the Viper GTS right from the factory. ;)

Harp

Reaction score
Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic
Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic is engineered specifically for Harley® high-performance engines and other high-output V-Twin motors. Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum Full Synthetic provides smoother shifting, reduces friction, offers tremendous lubrication and provides superior protection in extreme heat conditions. A.P.I. SF/SG.

Attachments

• hdplat.jpg
    hdplat.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 100
  • spectro-oil.jpg
    spectro-oil.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 98

grizzlydave

Reaction score
I've used the spectro oil on a pretty regular basis at the shop i work at and it seems to be pretty good stuff. I've been running it in my machines all year with no problems

Nighttrain

Reaction score
JUst my take on sythetic oils.I have an 02 Night Train that I 95`ed and I run it hard.When it gets hot with synthetic in it either Ams oil or syn 3 from Harley It sounds like the lifters are going to come out.If I run reg 20w50 Harely oil it cuts the noise in half.I just chnage the oil more often.
75w90 shock proof in the trans and for my primary I run ATF type F.Been running it like that for 3 hard years now and no problems.
Mike

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JUst my take on sythetic oils.I have an 02 Night Train that I 95`ed and I run it hard.When it gets hot with synthetic in it either Ams oil or syn 3 from Harley It sounds like the lifters are going to come out.If I run reg 20w50 Harely oil it cuts the noise in half.I just chnage the oil more often.
75w90 shock proof in the trans and for my primary I run ATF type F.Been running it like that for 3 hard years now and no problems.
Mike

Hhhhmmmm, you might want to try to add acouple octane to your fuel during really hot days and see what that does. Is what your hearing more of a tingging ping. Never run cheap fuel!!!

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Hhhhmmmm, you might want to try to add acouple octane to your fuel during really hot days and see what that does. Is what your hearing more of a tingging ping. Never run cheap fuel!!!
If you are refering to spark knock it is not that.The noise I am talking about is lifter,valtrain noise.Thanks for the tip though.
Mike

Top Bottom