What is everyone running for tires on there sxs

the450kid

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone is running on there sxs for tires? What seems to be the stand out all around tire????

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No matter who you ask, everybody will have a different opioion... sooo i will give you mine..

Since i am so performance minded i look at what tires are the choice of atv pro racers... whether its mud or fast trail riding..
thats how tires get deveoped too..feedback from the racing world.. thats where all the technology comes from in all motosports...racing...

so since im not a big deep mud rider i look for a tire that has stood the test of time in the US.. and for all around good trail riding (yes and even getting thru mud )
the bighorn by Maxxis seams to fit the bill mmost the time...

now if i was into more mudding than fast trail then i would pick the zilla... the zilla is the lighest tire of its type out there so you lose very little performance out of your clutch..
heavier tires slow you down from being stock.. yes you go from A to B still but i don't want to detune a machine that i bought for the opposite.... if your fine with the less power to the
ground then so be it..just not for me... i would even clutch for zilla's...

now the bigs are heavier than stock but one of the lighest tire of its kind too although you have to clutch to get the pow back too... which of course i have done.. there is a big difference ...don't fool
yourself... its all about getting the pow your engine has to the ground effectively.

so for me the tires of choice would be the zilla for more muddin.. bighorn for more trail and rock (for me they work even in the winter)... lots dont like the bigs in the winter but i have 14000k on two sets and they have never let me down by not making it anywhere in the winter.

slade420

Reaction score
now the bigs are heavier than stock but one of the lighest tire of its kind too although you have to clutch to get the pow back too... which of course i have done.. there is a big difference ...don't fool
yourself... its all about getting the pow your engine has to the ground effectively.

does this include the RZR s LE that comes with bighorns stock? do you think they need re-clutching as well or did they take that into account from the factory?

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No the rzr clutching is fine stock. Unless you want a higher stall and hit right off the get go. Which is a little harder to trail ride with.
You can run up to a 30 inch(trail) tire with stock rzr clutching quite easy.......

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If its a factory tire the bike is set up clutch wise to that tire.. as soon as you go heavier ( 1 lb = 7 lbs of Dead weight ) and you lose some excelleration.. what happens is our clutches change shiftout with alititude and weight. as soon as you shift out lower than where your engine makes the most power, you lose acceleration.. thats why i like to find the best tire thread pattern for the type of riding i do most and also look at the weight... if i increase the weight i clutch for it

thats just me.. you dont have to.. there is nothing to prove out there unless your on the 300 ft race track or even the 1/4!! lol

that is one reason i like the zilla's.. they are the lighest.. get you thru 99. 5 % of what big heavier tires do and you have tons more get up and go if you were to race your buddy...
the ony thing i dont like about the zilla is sidewall roll.. if your not into high speed riding then they be ok.. if you like to stay more right side up..lol.. i like the big's..

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anybody cares but here are some results on cluthing...

going from ( stock G1 beadlocks and bighorn original tires ) to (same rim and stock holeshots in front and sand star itp sand tires in the back ) i SAVE 27.4 lbs on all four and gain 250rpm in shiftout rpm.
this is with the clutch tuned to shiftout at the altuitude i am at. thats a bit better than 9 rpm per pound..

here is the other stat i collected.. going from proper shift out at 2150 ft ASL to 3550 ft ASL i LOSE 400-450 rpm in shiftout.. thats major down power...
you probably wont notice it trail riding and why would you care.. i dont even clutch for every different altitude i ride so i suffer too.. when you race you
actually see what all this can do,its a pretty big performance factor.. if we dont want the performance, why do we buy these bikes? obvisoly for the best performance..

Last edited:

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I run my 30" Zilla's on bead lock rims with 4 psi pressure. I get max foot print on the ground and awesome traction. I run with the stock clutch and always use low range when approaching a mud hole. I also have a 3" lift kit. I'm always on the other side of a mud hole or skeg waiting for my quad buds. This combination however is not good for fast travel. Those big tires with little air in them are awesome for mudding and skegging but if your wanting to race your buds don't go this route. I don't really see the need to clutch it either.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I run my 30" Zilla's on bead lock rims with 4 psi pressure. I get max foot print on the ground and awesome traction. I run with the stock clutch and always use low range when approaching a mud hole. I also have a 3" lift kit. I'm always on the other side of a mud hole or skeg waiting for my quad buds. This combination however is not good for fast travel. Those big tires with little air in them are awesome for mudding and skegging but if your wanting to race your buds don't go this route. I don't really see the need to clutch it either.

Are you running zilla or mud zilla tires?

I need to get summer tires for stock rims for my 900 xp. Am planning on 28 inch. I have heard zilla tires don't last well on a 900 xp?

How are your doing?

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can have a look at mine tomorrow Ray. I like them enough that I will probably buy new rears every 2 to 3 years if I have to.

Top Bottom