What do you use for making columns?

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some guys use their shovels and folding saws to cut out their columns, that's what I do, but I was wondering if anyone had some specific tools.

In the avy course, they used 16" ot 20" handsaws... I don't want to lug one of those around LOL.

I wanted to make a blade out of plastic laminate or something of that nature to take along and stuff somewhere on my sled..

Anyone have any idears>??

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW TTT

36 views and no one has anything to say?

So does anyone even dig a pit??

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know some guys use their shovels and folding saws to cut out their columns, that's what I do, but I was wondering if anyone had some specific tools.

In the avy course, they used 16" ot 20" handsaws... I don't want to lug one of those around LOL.

I wanted to make a blade out of plastic laminate or something of that nature to take along and stuff somewhere on my sled..

Anyone have any idears>??
I just use the shovel....don't need any extra equipment.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Carry so much stuff as it is cause I think the best type thing would be something exactly like my saw so I just use that

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find my saw just a little short. A 30 cm column is ideal. A shovel is time consuming and removes too much material for me and you can't make nice even sides.

Albertasledder, we dig pits and make columns to inspect the snowpack and identify the weak layers in the snow. A column can tell you many things about the winter snowpack... Temps, weather conditions and history of them, future hazards to expect...It can also vary from hill to hill.

. The music sucks but oh well LOL

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe if it could be incorporated in to a remove able snow flap like some shovels are as most sledders know u would like to take more but room is an issue it's amazing how much stuff we take along

Albertasledder

Reaction score
I find my saw just a little short. A 30 cm column is ideal. A shovel is time consuming and removes too much material for me and you can't make nice even sides.

Albertasledder, we dig pits and make columns to inspect the snowpack and identify the weak layers in the snow. A column can tell you many things about the winter snowpack... Temps, weather conditions and history of them, future hazards to expect...It can also vary from hill to hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEFEc07Lycs. The music sucks but oh well LOL

Thank You for telling me I could have never of guessed what you where talking about

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing this..
Get 2 probes, and run a rope to cut the snow. Never tried this, but I think it could work to some extent.

Moyiesledhead,
I have a buddy that said Kimberly had a stupid deep condition there.. is this totally isolated??

Some guys use a chunk of rope.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the BCA shovels have 25-30 saws inside the handle that are perfect for columns. I ride a lot of trees so I also carry a professional tree pruning saw that is just over 30cm as well. Good tools provide fast and efficient results.

For the extended column test which 30deep by 90long, use a piece of knotted cord. This test is a much better method to actually realize the true propogation potential and fracture character of a large piece of snow.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moyiesledhead, I have a buddy that said Kimberly had a stupid deep condition there.. is this totally isolated??

Well....my son was up the Mark Creek headwall to Hunters Dam a week ago and said they were riding rocks and ice getting up the last hill. Doesn't sound stupid deep to me. :confused:

Jordan1924

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't u just cut a wedge out of each side and make two cuts from each side on the back with a shorter folding shovel....?

Top Bottom