What do you think??? New Dodge

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15,000USx 1.18= 17,700Can

5% GST = 885 Can
5% PST = 885 Can
RVI = 216 Can
Inspection = APPROX 500 with DTRL module.

Total = APPROX 20,200 CAN for a new truck.

And yes all 3 are 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7L diesel Auto, SLT Crew cab short box,PW,PL,PD,PDS,EL4X4,ETC. Its not quite a base modle. They listed at 40k US new, So even if you look at it this way. Its a little over 60% off sticker. Which is more than what a dealer up here can even come close to offering a guy. I was at the dealer here, and like i stated before, 43 was a SLT CC SB cummins.

Flight anywhere in the US = $600
Fuel = $400
Hotel = $100

2 days max.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha ha...no disappointment here...like I said "to each their own"! Yes I am High Rollerz Trux (aka: HRT) Yep...I was in the city, but moved out near Okotoks (southwest of Calgary). Didn't like the city or sharing a shop for that matter. We're a pretty specialized shop...so location doesn't matter that much. We sell Carli, Thuren, ICON and Total Chaos.
What's the name of the guy you used to work with?

His name was kevin something. I cant remeber. He was our skidder operator for like 2 years in hinton and it was on a 04 dodge 3500(red in color).Thing rode wicked, but to much for my cup of tea.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The US MRSP is actually around 47k for a SLT, you can go to Dodge's website and look it up even. There is no way dealers are selling them for 1/3 of MRSP, MAYBE half but that is extremly unlikely with a diesel, you also have to consider they have to pay tax on it in US and apply to get it back. Something is wrong it is to good to be true unless the guy is really in with the dealer there, but then again, they could throw those trucks here through a auction and make a ton of money. There is something wrong with it for sure.

But even if, I wouldn't trade my 04 Cummins straight across for a new 6.7, that new engine isn't worth it's weight in scrap metal.....

Well for one i realize that it is 1/3 of the MSRP price. But have you been down to the states lately???? If you havent looked into it then how do you know what they are selling for??? And yes there is ways to get them for that price. ITS CALLED A RESSION!!! NO ONE IS BUYING CHIT DOWN THERE!!! That is how they can sell them at that price. And as for tax, you only pay the tax on it in that state if you are a resident of that state.Now for the second part, this is a guy who has been doing work for me for the last year and bit. And as for putting them through the auction, My buddy was at ADESA in Airdrie,AB for there last auction and he bought a Full load 2007 Cummins 6.7L 6spd std, mega cab,with everything. He paid 17k with tax for it. So its not hard to belive that these trucks are going for cheap. Some dealers have so many trucks on the lot they just need to sell them to recoupe some costs. These dealers are getting some rebates back from DC. When deperate times call for desperate measures, they gotta do what they gotta do.

Also i would not trade or sell my truck for a new 6.7L Cummins. But if i can get one that cheap, ill drive it for a year and sell it for more than what i paid for it a year after putting on 100k.

Look up a couple of dealers down in the lower states(arizona, texas, Flordia, Alabama,North Carolina,ETC.) Give them a call and ask what kind incentives do they have on new 08 Rams. Call them and then post back here and let us know if they tell you the same thing as what they have been telling everyone else. Heck, on satilite the other day i even seen an add on TV for a dealer in alabama offering 2 for 1. :):beer:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the truck, be careful that it is new. they may tell you what the msrp is and how great of a deal it is, but how many kilometers???

with a dodge come no warranty, and you can't even buy a dodge warranty. A good aftermarket warranty will run at least 3,000 from a reputable company. the problem with the cheaper ones is there will be a deductable, and no shop will want to deal with a second rate warranty co because it is too hard to get paid.

just because the msrp is 43,000 here did you check to see what the would blow a 2008 out for here?? and the price your getting does that include the freight to get it here?

Yes they are new, But since they are last years models, the dealer sold them to him as used. They all had under 200 miles on them. And like i said before, I dont give a chit about warranty. No dealer ever stands behind what they sell unless you only drive Miss daisy to church on sunday doing 55!!! That sums up pretty much what i really think about dealers. They never did much for warranty work on my 03 and thats even though i had bought the Platinum package warranty(extra 2500) that covered everything to 160. And they still didnt want to do anything.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well for one i realize that it is 1/3 of the MSRP price. But have you been down to the states lately???? If you havent looked into it then how do you know what they are selling for??? And yes there is ways to get them for that price. ITS CALLED A RESSION!!! NO ONE IS BUYING CHIT DOWN THERE!!! That is how they can sell them at that price. And as for tax, you only pay the tax on it in that state if you are a resident of that state.Now for the second part, this is a guy who has been doing work for me for the last year and bit. And as for putting them through the auction, My buddy was at ADESA in Airdrie,AB for there last auction and he bought a Full load 2007 Cummins 6.7L 6spd std, mega cab,with everything. He paid 17k with tax for it. So its not hard to belive that these trucks are going for cheap. Some dealers have so many trucks on the lot they just need to sell them to recoupe some costs. These dealers are getting some rebates back from DC. When deperate times call for desperate measures, they gotta do what they gotta do.

Also i would not trade or sell my truck for a new 6.7L Cummins. But if i can get one that cheap, ill drive it for a year and sell it for more than what i paid for it a year after putting on 100k.

Look up a couple of dealers down in the lower states(arizona, texas, Flordia, Alabama,North Carolina,ETC.) Give them a call and ask what kind incentives do they have on new 08 Rams. Call them and then post back here and let us know if they tell you the same thing as what they have been telling everyone else. Heck, on satilite the other day i even seen an add on TV for a dealer in alabama offering 2 for 1. :):beer:

I guess there are some people who believe what they hear on tv? :rolleyes: That 2 for 1 deal was buy a top of the line for sticker, and get a bare bones free, hardly a 2 for 1 when the first vehicle is 45k and the second sticker is only about 15k. I know what they are selling for and it's like 15k off sticker max. I can tell you right now, if you can get a brand new 2008 dodge 2500 diesel 4x4 SLT for 18k all said and done, I would buy it right now, because you could sell those the next day for 30k minimum. The states is slow, there are still a lot of people buying, it's just dropped like crazy from before. I've been down there 4 times in the last year buying stuff, and guess what? Not one was selling due to money issues, they were upgrading and the stores weren't hurting or dead. I will garentee you there is a catch to it somewhere.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they are new, But since they are last years models, the dealer sold them to him as used. They all had under 200 miles on them. And like i said before, I dont give a chit about warranty. No dealer ever stands behind what they sell unless you only drive Miss daisy to church on sunday doing 55!!! That sums up pretty much what i really think about dealers. They never did much for warranty work on my 03 and thats even though i had bought the Platinum package warranty(extra 2500) that covered everything to 160. And they still didnt want to do anything.

And catch one USED, that knocks 5k off the value of the truck right there....and the plot thickens....

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And catch one USED, that knocks 5k off the value of the truck right there....and the plot thickens....

Ya and that is so a guy can get them over the border. You cannot bring a New vehicle over. Thats why they were bought as used. Also i dont care is the thing had 20,xxx miles on them. Id still buy one for that price. And if you can get a bare bones one for 15k, by all meens let me know where. I have been talking to the dealers in regina,weyburn,estevan,yorkton,etc. Heck my buddy is a salesman at the dealer in Rocky Mtn House and even he told me that the canadian pricing will be lower sooner or later. They all tell me the same thing for price. Still over 40K. So if i can get one for under 30, i dont care if it had manual windows and locks. Im just going by what buddy told me. And yes the plot thickens, But i call it a loop hole! I will let you know how my deal turns out. And if it is true, I might end up going down myself and bring one or 2 moreup for reselling just for extra cash. Cause you are right, they are still worth 30k any day of the week up here.:)

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As soon as the truck is bought from new you lose $$ off sticker, 200 miles?? Give me a break. It would be no different if you bought it and put the 200 on yourself. No plot thickening here.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As soon as the truck is bought from new you lose $$ off sticker, 200 miles?? Give me a break. It would be no different if you bought it and put the 200 on yourself. No plot thickening here.

200 miles is used, and even worse if that's all test drives, i'm sure you know how trucks get treated on test drives.....

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
200 miles is used, and even worse if that's all test drives, i'm sure you know how trucks get treated on test drives.....

well when i bought my 03 i was originally looking at an 05. That truck had 450km on it and it was only from test drives. I dont know about you, but its all in how a guy treats a truck over the time he owns it. So with 200 miles or 320km, im not worried, even if a person did bag the ars off it for 320km, not that much damage could be done man.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's kinda what I meant. If someone else will eat the initial depreciation for 200 miles I'd take it every time.

Test drive. Floor it, drive, floor it, stop. It's not like they drained half the oil and redlined it for an hour. No big deal. 20k miles.....that's different.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can tell you right now 200 miles is a lot if someone is redlining a standard, there is nothing stopping them from reving it around 3700 rpms, which will make short work of a stock engine, not to mention brake stands etc. And no dealer is going to sell a vehicle "used" with 200 miles on it, and they can't you can't just stick "used" on a vehicle it would be a demo.

Also as far as importing, you can import a new vehicle there is no law against it. I would really make sure whoever is doing it actually knows what they are doing, i've imported 2 times this summer and you'll run into some big problems if you mess anything up! They can easily confiscate the imported item or slap you with a 10k+ fine if you mess something up....

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you'll run into some big problems if you mess anything up! They can easily confiscate the imported item or slap you with a 10k+ fine if you mess something up....[/QUOTE]

As long as you are not jamming POT under the seats and be as honest as you can. Have all your paper work faxed in on time, before arrivel at the border. You will be fine. They WILL NOT fine you $10000.00 for faxing your paper work late!!! I have imported lots on stuff and lived in Montana for a year. Brought tons of stuff back and forth all the time, and yes I messed up paper work too, As long as you are straight with them and not try to cheat the system, you will never have any problems. You might get delayed but never as stated above?????

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't get the vehicle to Canadian standards within the specified time or get an extension you will be given a short timeframe to get the vehicle out or Canada or it will be destroyed, or a huge fine. You can read all of it on RIV's website. What I ment about the big fine is if you try to tell them it's a used vehicle and have a low price on the bill of sale to try and save on GST, that will get you in some BIG trouble, and many guys have gotten a 10k fine for it. Yes they can be nice and let some stuff slide, but they can also be complete a$$holes and throw the book at you.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't get the vehicle to Canadian standards within the specified time or get an extension you will be given a short timeframe to get the vehicle out or Canada or it will be destroyed, or a huge fine. You can read all of it on RIV's website. What I ment about the big fine is if you try to tell them it's a used vehicle and have a low price on the bill of sale to try and save on GST, that will get you in some BIG trouble, and many guys have gotten a 10k fine for it. Yes they can be nice and let some stuff slide, but they can also be complete a$$holes and throw the book at you.

How about this, Ill report back here once the truck gets here and i will let you know if the deal is good or not. And as for up to code, from what i underdstood of the RVI site is most new/newer vehicles mainly need the DTRL Module. Other than that its smooth sailing. And no he didnt get them to make the bill of sale smaller, Read HRT Offroads post. His buddy works/lives there in arizona and they are selling full load mega cabs for 22k. So you cant tell me that i cant get a SLT CC S/B for 15k(up here they are 12k cheaper than a Laramie). But lets stop this bicering back and forth and ill let you all now how the deal turns out. An if the milk is sour, ill let you know. Thanks

noob

Reaction score
wow, give catzuki a break here boys. He's just passing along info that he's been given and might possibly get a smoking deal on a truck. If that's the case, i might buy one at that price. that is unreal. I bought a brand new gmc duramax in march of 08, there are no problems with bringing a brand new vehicle across the line. buddy and I imported 70 snowmobiles up here as well and resold them. there were a dozen brand new doo's in the batch as well. not a big deal to import them. cyle, don't know where your getting your info on vehicles being destroyed if not brought up to code.

I would have bought a dodge, but the no warranty thing was a kick in the chicklets. I do agree with catzuki, even if you bought a truck up here, it's like pulling teeth to get warranty. so I've got mine stacked with quadzilla and edge, also ripped off all the exhaust bs and have been happy so far. my 4 duramax's I've never had a problem with motor or tranny, so crossing my fingers this is the same.

good luck with the deal catzuki, keep us posted.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about this, Ill report back here once the truck gets here and i will let you know if the deal is good or not. And as for up to code, from what i underdstood of the RVI site is most new/newer vehicles mainly need the DTRL Module. Other than that its smooth sailing. And no he didnt get them to make the bill of sale smaller, Read HRT Offroads post. His buddy works/lives there in arizona and they are selling full load mega cabs for 22k. So you cant tell me that i cant get a SLT CC S/B for 15k(up here they are 12k cheaper than a Laramie). But lets stop this bicering back and forth and ill let you all now how the deal turns out. An if the milk is sour, ill let you know. Thanks

You will not have any problems getting a stock truck with low miles certified. I for one a very interested to see if you get this deal.

You know you're going to have to spend the $$ you saved on a tranny and twins, right?

Top Bottom