What do you think??? New Dodge

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im at work today and one of our truckers came to me and said him and the boss are bringing back 3 or 4 new 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 slt diesels back. Now the only thing i know is that a guy has to pay the taxes and an inspection. I know it will not have any warranty, but for the price i cant complaine. Now all he has to do is bring them back. No he bought them for 15k US off the lot. Now with yesterdays exchange, It works out to 17,800 Can. So even with the inspection and taxes we figure 21k Can for the truck. I went to the dodge dealer the other day out here and the lowest price i could get was 45k for a 2500 mega and with just a standard quad cab it was 43k. So my thoughts are, what do you think a guy should do?? I like dealing local as much as i can but with a savings of over 20K i dont think i could go wrong. I really dont care about warranty as i do all of my own work and know enough diesel shops and such im sure i could buy alot of warranty for 22k.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a aftermarket warrenty for $1500 if you so choose. I think any time you can save more than $5000 and have it sitting in your drive way it's worth it. But this is how I figure it...Work out your savings and divide it by the # of days you will be gone and compare to you daily income. If it's less stay home and go to work. If it's more.....see ya!:d:beer:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So im at work today and one of our truckers came to me and said him and the boss are bringing back 3 or 4 new 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 slt diesels back. Now the only thing i know is that a guy has to pay the taxes and an inspection. I know it will not have any warranty, but for the price i cant complaine. Now all he has to do is bring them back. No he bought them for 15k US off the lot. Now with yesterdays exchange, It works out to 17,800 Can. So even with the inspection and taxes we figure 21k Can for the truck. I went to the dodge dealer the other day out here and the lowest price i could get was 45k for a 2500 mega and with just a standard quad cab it was 43k. So my thoughts are, what do you think a guy should do?? I like dealing local as much as i can but with a savings of over 20K i dont think i could go wrong. I really dont care about warranty as i do all of my own work and know enough diesel shops and such im sure i could buy alot of warranty for 22k.

Pretty sure someone doesn't have their facts right. 15K brand new off the lot is bit hard to believe. If it's true buy them all.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He will be home in 2 days with the first one. The dealer ship he bought them from has had no truck sales in a while since diesel was so expensive and the fact that the economy has been going down hill. This is just what the guy who is importing them told me. Besides. If all i have to pay is 20k and it has no leans, then i dont care.

Ya i never thought about the after market warranty. That could be an option also i guess if a guy really wants it. i think a guy can do alot of warranty work out of pocket ona deal like this.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
17t cad lol
sounds a bit to good for me wonder where the hook is on this one

if it is really true
dont even think about it man warranty sucks anyway
(at least for me as the mechanic cause i dont get paid enough for it :))

is it a 5.9 or 6.7 ?

gotta remember 6.7 is no longer an idling truck will plug the exhaust and lots of customers dont understand it that the exhaust cleaning procedure doesnt work while idling or driving in town

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds too good to be true to me too. If you can do it, go to town! You'll be able to get more for your '03.

Kyle when are you going to the mountains next?

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
November 28, 2008, 3:04 pm
Florida Dealer: 2 Trucks for the Price of 1
By Jerry Garrett
Two-for-one sales are a popular and tradition-steeped staple of retailing. But usually they are reserved for household items, such as sheets, towels or cans of soup. But here’s a new twist: The two-for-one automobile sale.

This tactic was tried for apparently the first time last week by University Dodge in Davie, Fla. There is a bit of a catch: The offer is buy a loaded top-of-the-line Dodge Ram pickup for full sticker price (about $45,000) and get a bare-bones base model (with an M.S.R.P. of about $21,000) for free.

Ali Ahmet, the dealership’s sales manager, said in a telephone interview Wednesday the promotion was originally envisioned to move a few of its backlog of 150 Ram pickups — some of which had been sitting since the $4 a gallon gas prices of last summer — off the lot before the end of the November sales period.

“But it has worked so well – between the foot traffic at the dealership, phone calls and online sales – that we are running out of trucks,” Mr. Ahmet said. “We hope to extend it into December, and perhaps the end of the year. We also have an affiliated Chrysler-Jeep dealership and we are working out arrangements with them to substitute, say, a PT Cruiser in case you don’t want the base Dodge Ram. Or substitute a Jeep Commander, if you don’t want a loaded Laramie Quad Cab. Things like that.”

Is the dealership losing money on such a deal?

“It’s pretty close, maybe a little below our cost,” Mr. Ahmet said. “But we are getting a little help from Chrysler – nothing special, just the kind of help every dealer can get from them. We are just trying to be a little more creative than others.”

Since the University Dodge promotion was announced, other dealerships have tried to come up with similarly creative sales. Bettenhausen Dodge in Tinley Park, Ill., was offering a Dodge truck for full price, with a second vehicle for $1. And a dealer in Vancouver, Canada, advertised online a full-price offer on a new vehicle, paired with a giveaway on a used Land Rover.

“I don’t know about those other deals,” Mr. Ahmet said, “But the amazing thing about this promotion is it is legitimate. You know, car dealers have this reputation. But this is legit.”

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds too good to be true to me too. If you can do it, go to town! You'll be able to get more for your '03.

Kyle when are you going to the mountains next?

Ya and thats the thing. My 03 is wor more than that. And i think im gonna buy one. I also found out that if you own a yanki vehicle and you dont try to claim warranty for the first 6 months you own it, that the canadian dealers will houner the warranty. On that not, I do realize that the 6.7L is a not idle truck but im not to worried as it will have a DPF delete and a chip and such in it within the first week. Warranty doesnt really matter to me as i never got chit done on my 03 cause of the lift so im not to worried. But ill let you know how it turns out wheather or not the deal is true. I hope it is cause the old dodge is getting some miles on it now.

As for the mountains, not sure. Ill be back in alberta Feb13-23 i think but im heading down to the pass to my sisters place in Yhak and i was thinking of making the drive to Trout lake and nakusp or something. I herd grand forks is good so well see.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine works for a dealership in Arizona...they were selling brand new '08 full, full load Mega Cabs for $22K.

At $17K USD I would buy them all day long. The first thing I would do is rip the DPF and EGR $hit off them and get some good HP and mileage out of them...then I would drop them off at HRT Offroad for some good suspension:d

If you're not going to have warranty...you may as well go big!!

Attachments

• IMG_0237.JPG
    IMG_0237.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 50

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can buy a aftermarket warrenty for $1500 if you so choose. I think any time you can save more than $5000 and have it sitting in your drive way it's worth it. But this is how I figure it...Work out your savings and divide it by the # of days you will be gone and compare to you daily income. If it's less stay home and go to work. If it's more.....see ya!:d:beer:

Any type of warranty for 1500 is garbage.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry for the second post, but if you look at the savings that are available from any manufacture at this time dodge, gm , ford, whoever, , i just saved a guy 22,000 on a brand new truck!! the deals are the best i have ever seen, but what do you think that does to the used market?? if i can buy a brand new one with 5 years and 160,000kms warranty and free roadside assistence for the same price as a used one,what you think a used one is worth?? and this price we speak of 15,000 or whatever, is probably a cab and chassis with vynil floor, get pictures and a serial number and get someone who works at a dodge dealer to pull the serial number in dodges computer to see the options that were built on it.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine works for a dealership in Arizona...they were selling brand new '08 full, full load Mega Cabs for $22K.

At $17K USD I would buy them all day long. The first thing I would do is rip the DPF and EGR $hit off them and get some good HP and mileage out of them...then I would drop them off at HRT Offroad for some good suspension:d

If you're not going to have warranty...you may as well go big!!

If i was gonna go big i think i would go kelderman 14" air. A kore lift is nice and all, but for the price i expect alot more that 3-5" of lift IMO. And i know the trucks are just getting cheaper and thats what happens when they gouge the people for too long. That is exactly whyn im lookin at importing one instead of buying local.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i was gonna go big i think i would go kelderman 14" air. A kore lift is nice and all, but for the price i expect alot more that 3-5" of lift IMO. And i know the trucks are just getting cheaper and thats what happens when they gouge the people for too long. That is exactly whyn im lookin at importing one instead of buying local.

Sorry...I guess I look at things a little differently. I actually beat the hell out of my trucks so I look at $$ spent equaling performance instead of the amount of height I get. When was the last time you saw an 8000 lb truck with a Kelderman 14" air ride get 4 feet of air or pound down a lease road at 140 kph while drinking a coffee without spilling a drop, and the other hand effortlessly on the wheel? Not to mention doing all this without breaking anything:d To each there own...I guess.

HRT doesn't sell KORE anyways...

Good luck with your truck!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya and thats the thing. My 03 is wor more than that. And i think im gonna buy one. I also found out that if you own a yanki vehicle and you dont try to claim warranty for the first 6 months you own it, that the canadian dealers will houner the warranty. On that not, I do realize that the 6.7L is a not idle truck but im not to worried as it will have a DPF delete and a chip and such in it within the first week. Warranty doesnt really matter to me as i never got chit done on my 03 cause of the lift so im not to worried. But ill let you know how it turns out wheather or not the deal is true. I hope it is cause the old dodge is getting some miles on it now.

As for the mountains, not sure. Ill be back in alberta Feb13-23 i think but im heading down to the pass to my sisters place in Yhak and i was thinking of making the drive to Trout lake and nakusp or something. I herd grand forks is good so well see.

GM's policy is no warranty honoured in canada before the vehicle is 6 mos old and has 12k km. Dodge's policy is no warranty in canada period, but if you can get it, sweet. Theres always an exception to the rule. Please keep us informed on what happens if you get a truck.

Trout lake would be great. We were there in summer about 10 years ago and went quadding. I bet you'd make fresh tracks all day long.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry...I guess I look at things a little differently. I actually beat the hell out of my trucks so I look at $$ spent equaling performance instead of the amount of height I get. When was the last time you saw an 8000 lb truck with a Kelderman 14" air ride get 4 feet of air or pound down a lease road at 140 kph while drinking a coffee without spilling a drop, and the other hand effortlessly on the wheel? Not to mention doing all this without breaking anything:d To each there own...I guess.

HRT doesn't sell KORE anyways...

Good luck with your truck!

Ya i dont beat my truck down the lease road. Sorry to disapoint you. And dont get me wrong, the kore,carli,chase,what ever lift you choose, ride like a cadi going down the high way, but its not for me.I look at it this way, if you have a lift like that, whats to say the rest of the truck around the lift isnt going to break. I used to work with a guy with a full kore lift(cost him like 13k or something rediculos like that) and that thing rode like no other dodge i have ever been in, but the rest of the truck didnt hold up. He had gone through ball joints(he finally went to Carlie uppers),TRE(went to thuren X-Over),front drive shafts,etc. But like i said, it rode awsome. BTW what make of suspension's do you sell?

And just out of curiosity, HRT Offroad, where are you out of.Did you used to be next to Big dog performance(High Riders Trucks Offroad). Just wondering. Thanks

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GM's policy is no warranty honoured in canada before the vehicle is 6 mos old and has 12k km. Dodge's policy is no warranty in canada period, but if you can get it, sweet. Theres always an exception to the rule. Please keep us informed on what happens if you get a truck.

Trout lake would be great. We were there in summer about 10 years ago and went quadding. I bet you'd make fresh tracks all day long.

Ya ill look into it. But any which way, for the price i can buy alot of warranty. I talked to my buddy last night and he had only herd of GM honoring it. Ya im not to sure what im doing yet. but if they get up here for that price, ill be buying one.

15,000USx 1.18= 17,700Can

5% GST = 885 Can
5% PST = 885 Can
RVI = 216 Can
Inspection = APPROX 500 with DTRL module.

Total = APPROX 20,200 CAN for a new truck.

And yes all 3 are 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7L diesel Auto, SLT Crew cab short box,PW,PL,PD,PDS,EL4X4,ETC. Its not quite a base modle. They listed at 40k US new, So even if you look at it this way. Its a little over 60% off sticker. Which is more than what a dealer up here can even come close to offering a guy. I was at the dealer here, and like i stated before, 43 was a SLT CC SB cummins.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i dont beat my truck down the lease road. Sorry to disapoint you. And dont get me wrong, the kore,carli,chase,what ever lift you choose, ride like a cadi going down the high way, but its not for me.I look at it this way, if you have a lift like that, whats to say the rest of the truck around the lift isnt going to break. I used to work with a guy with a full kore lift(cost him like 13k or something rediculos like that) and that thing rode like no other dodge i have ever been in, but the rest of the truck didnt hold up. He had gone through ball joints(he finally went to Carlie uppers),TRE(went to thuren X-Over),front drive shafts,etc. But like i said, it rode awsome. BTW what make of suspension's do you sell?

And just out of curiosity, HRT Offroad, where are you out of.Did you used to be next to Big dog performance(High Riders Trucks Offroad). Just wondering. Thanks

Ha ha...no disappointment here...like I said "to each their own"! Yes I am High Rollerz Trux (aka: HRT) Yep...I was in the city, but moved out near Okotoks (southwest of Calgary). Didn't like the city or sharing a shop for that matter. We're a pretty specialized shop...so location doesn't matter that much. We sell Carli, Thuren, ICON and Total Chaos.
What's the name of the guy you used to work with?

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy I car pool with bought a US Lexus, no warranty with them ether. He's the one that bought a aftermarket warranty. $1500.00 its the same thing when you buy the extended warranty. It does not have Dodges name on it! Most dealerships sell these. I'm sure there are guy's in the bizz that know way more about it than me.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya ill look into it. But any which way, for the price i can buy alot of warranty. I talked to my buddy last night and he had only herd of GM honoring it. Ya im not to sure what im doing yet. but if they get up here for that price, ill be buying one.

15,000USx 1.18= 17,700Can

5% GST = 885 Can
5% PST = 885 Can
RVI = 216 Can
Inspection = APPROX 500 with DTRL module.

Total = APPROX 20,200 CAN for a new truck.

And yes all 3 are 2008 Dodge 2500 4x4 6.7L diesel Auto, SLT Crew cab short box,PW,PL,PD,PDS,EL4X4,ETC. Its not quite a base modle. They listed at 40k US new, So even if you look at it this way. Its a little over 60% off sticker. Which is more than what a dealer up here can even come close to offering a guy. I was at the dealer here, and like i stated before, 43 was a SLT CC SB cummins.

The US MRSP is actually around 47k for a SLT, you can go to Dodge's website and look it up even. There is no way dealers are selling them for 1/3 of MRSP, MAYBE half but that is extremly unlikely with a diesel, you also have to consider they have to pay tax on it in US and apply to get it back. Something is wrong it is to good to be true unless the guy is really in with the dealer there, but then again, they could throw those trucks here through a auction and make a ton of money. There is something wrong with it for sure.

But even if, I wouldn't trade my 04 Cummins straight across for a new 6.7, that new engine isn't worth it's weight in scrap metal.....

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for the truck, be careful that it is new. they may tell you what the msrp is and how great of a deal it is, but how many kilometers???

with a dodge come no warranty, and you can't even buy a dodge warranty. A good aftermarket warranty will run at least 3,000 from a reputable company. the problem with the cheaper ones is there will be a deductable, and no shop will want to deal with a second rate warranty co because it is too hard to get paid.

just because the msrp is 43,000 here did you check to see what the would blow a 2008 out for here?? and the price your getting does that include the freight to get it here?

Top Bottom