What do you put in YOUR survival kit?!?

Jimbara

Reaction score
I just bought my first sled a Arctic cat 06 M7 and i was wondering what everyone carries in their trunk/Backpack for a survival stuff? other than TP and matches what are some useful things that you guys like to pack when out riding and why you pack them.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fold up saw, small first aid kit, and some rope in case something go sideways.

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
cnelson has 3 important items, plus, I bring 2 lighters, a pack of fire starter sticks that light wet or dry and help to get the fire started plus 2 reflective blankets. All you need is a fire and water to survive for a couple of nights out in the snowy mountains.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
cnelson has 3 important items, plus, I bring 2 lighters, a pack of fire starter sticks that light wet or dry and help to get the fire started plus 2 reflective blankets. All you need is a fire and water to survive for a couple of nights out in the snowy mountains.

and the snow is over 20' deep, no dry wood as it is wet from rain or snow ghosts....and what about the incident where you don't get to pick where you are gonna spend the night because buddy has a broken back? All you need is....sometimes it is very difficult to have enough to spend one night.....just saying :xmas2004-15:

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I call it the tickle trunk. Between my back pack and my tunnel bag i have as follows.snow shoes,bivvy sac, retractable ski poles, first aid kit, reflective blanket, lots of matches and fire starter, two small pots from mec,tools,zip ties,duc tape,of course shovel and probes,protein bars,extra batteries, head lamp,compass,flare gun and sos light,whistle,small hatchet,ABS backpack and most of all avalanche training from zacs,. Its heavy but so would the weight on my wifes shoulders if she had to tell my two daughters that daddies not coming home. The more prepared you can be for the worst the better chance you have making it home.:twocents:

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My survival gearin backpack consists of a survival bivvy sack, two reflective blankets, a GOOD first aid kit, saw, knife, needle and thread, rope, hand/foot warmers, windproof/waterproof matches, a can of sterno, magnesium fire starter, compass, extra socks and thin merino wool gloves, two small plastic bags, oxo cubes, trail mix and granola bars, water, flagging tape, a tampon (they work great to get gas out of a sled tank & start a fire) small aluminum pot to melt snow, homemade fire starter (wax & sawdust).
Tunnel bag survival gear has a snobungee, block and tackle, spare underlayer (long sleeve helly hansen top), insulated mitts, and spare socks, 6x8 tarp, leatherman multi-tool. I might be heavy, but could easily handle a couple nights on the mountain.

kill_shot

Reaction score
you guys throw in everything except a gps and satphone. Curious considering you could spend two night in the mountains but you have nothing to get you out.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That not true. I keep my gps and my spot in my jacket. I keep my garmin 530 and my spot inside my coat for the warmth and convenience. The question was what do you keep in your survival kit. I could carry on and tell you what i keep in my handle bar bag if you want.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
main thing is put a kit together and CARRY IT! I am so tired of seeing guys ridding with their packs strapped to their sleds....................come on man! I could go on about what to carry but it has been covered so many times, you will start to figure different things you want to have as you ride. Get your avy gear and learn how to use it.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to teach a survival course, I would rather carry this there and back and never use it, then one time wishing I had it....

First aid kit
Flares
hand warmers
space blankets
small emergency tarp
candle
fire starter
Tin foil
Matches
Toilet paper
Flash light Crank type
Compass
chain saw in a can
Duct and electrical tape
Knife or Leatherman
2 – Carabineer’s
rope
Wire
Whistle
Lighter and safety matches
Tie wraps
Bags for feet
Hose clamps
Extra bungee cords
Medicine
sunglasses
spare gloves
spare socks
Mini Vise Grips
Signal Mirror
Pot with back packing stove and fuel
Can of sterno

Freeze Dried Food pack
Power aid Crystals energy drink
trail mix
water(water tabs, water filter)
Beef jerky
Cup o soup
power bars
hot Choc

Misc items for sledding and Quadding
spare goggles
batteries
GPS
Thermos’s
Shovel
Probe
Fuel line/
Tow rope
Ratchet straps
2 way radio
6’ siphon hose

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to teach a survival course, I would rather carry this there and back and never use it, then one time wishing I had it....

First aid kit
Flares
hand warmers
space blankets
small emergency tarp
candle
fire starter
Tin foil
Matches
Toilet paper
Flash light Crank type
Compass
chain saw in a can
Duct and electrical tape
Knife or Leatherman
2 – Carabineer’s
rope
Wire
Whistle
Lighter and safety matches
Tie wraps
Bags for feet
Hose clamps
Extra bungee cords
Medicine
sunglasses
spare gloves
spare socks
Mini Vise Grips
Signal Mirror
Pot with back packing stove and fuel
Can of sterno

Freeze Dried Food pack
Power aid Crystals energy drink
trail mix
water(water tabs, water filter)
Beef jerky
Cup o soup
power bars
hot Choc

Misc items for sledding and Quadding
spare goggles
batteries
GPS
Thermos’s
Shovel
Probe
Fuel line/
Tow rope
Ratchet straps
2 way radio
6’ siphon hose

see you already have the cookstove and fuel, is the sterno in case ya run out of drinks?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
main thing is put a kit together and CARRY IT! I am so tired of seeing guys ridding with their packs strapped to their sleds....................come on man! I could go on about what to carry but it has been covered so many times, you will start to figure different things you want to have as you ride. Get your avy gear and learn how to use it.

great point,, dont think many die from staying over night but every year out west over 20 peeps die in avalanche's so it be best to understand snow pack and how to use your avalanche gear and knowaldge before doing anything in the backcountry..... I would probably die carrying around some of the chit you guys carry but to eachs own you can never have enough safety gear so to speak.....

Top Bottom