What clicker do you need to pull 7900 rpm at 7000 ft?

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats just it. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL. is your belt deflection set the same to the mm as the other sled? track tension? exhaust canss etc. lots of variables. also lets say all cans gain or lose 0 hp. i am willing to bet that the dyno chart for can a b and c are slightly different as far as hp and torque are concerned throughout the rpm ranges. if we were talking stock cans with the same rider clicker 4 vs 5 perhaps there may be a problem
what are you getting so excited for?I never said they could be or would be or that its possible but if they where then my statement stands true!.....Is your name sheldon?by chance?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure how you can tell im excited over the internet. im just letting people know there is no need to worry when your sled is 1 clicker different than your buddies.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure how you can tell im excited over the internet. im just letting people know there is no need to worry when your sled is 1 clicker different than your buddies.
well thanks Pastor Max you have set a calm over the Doo Nation!!There will be Peace and Good Brapping....where do i send my offering!!!:beer:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been told that the ecu has over 300 different maps in it. Based on the inputs from various sensors including the one installed in the can/ suitcase it could be choosing a different map on that given day. On another day given the levels read by all of the sensors it may choose a less conservative map than the two with the suitcases. Its all dependent on what each ecu is seeing each time the sled fires up as to what map it decides to select.

So long story longer yes the canned etec may have been making slightly less hp because of it selecting a slightly more conservative tune but that's assuming as Maxwell said that absolutely everything else is equal. The difference between clicker 3 and 4 is so small its likely not worth worrying about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is one map. Output info from the sensors is 100's of time per seconds for changing conditions. If there is ever a new version available from factory, you simply reflash the ECM and you get a new map.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is one map. Output info from the sensors is 100's of time per seconds for changing conditions. If there is ever a new version available from factory, you simply reflash the ECM and you get a new map.

That's news to me. Every other person I've talked to says there are multiple maps.

A decision making digital system like that which would sample multiple inputs (can O2, mid pipe O2, knock sensor, crank acceleration, barometric pressure, temperature, etc. And based on every one of those inputs dynamically adjust the fuel and spark curve 100's of time every second would require a neural network type of structure which is some huge processing horsepower for a snowmobile, and frankly huge for your average home computer.

The easier way to achieve quite similar results is to provide a look up table with ranges for all inputs. Depending on what input ranges are satisfied it would then choose the appropriate map that would crank up or detune the engine in an effort to provide optimal conditions for the motor. Which is what I believe brp is counting on to get them through their 3 year engine warranty that they are offering on the etec.

Perhaps I am wrong (I have no problem admitting when I am) but that's how its been explained to me and given my background and what I see from riding an etec with and without modifications for the last 2 years.

Anyways, sorry for hijacking this thread.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing clicker changes the rate of which the clutch responds to rpm.

It does not add, compensate, or do anything to make more hp at any elevation.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't get into the technical jargon nor the nitty-gritties very deeply. Saying that, I did notice that during the early break-in, on clicker 3, WOT, and an elevation of 5000' I was way under the 7900 RPMs. Now that the break-in is well under way (over 300 km), I have changed to clicker 4 and RPM's are in the sweet spot at 6500'+. I'm 160# without gear and probably close to 190# geared up and ready to go.

As was pointed out earlier, to each their own, due all the various or obvious variables.

Just a very technical questions for the guru's: how much does the barometric pressure affect things on a given day? Anyone given that any thought? :D

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It actually does make difference. Your altitude indicator is run off of barometric pressure. Your low and high elevation mapping is compensated through the indication of altitudes. Sometimes it may take a few hundred feet of difference which could change where your maps clean up.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing clicker changes the rate of which the clutch responds to rpm.

It does not add, compensate, or do anything to make more hp at any elevation.

nobody implied that it added HP or stated that it did but the clickers do compensate for the loss of power as you climb into thinner air.its a pretty simple topic turned Complicated!!

cat925

Reaction score
Hi all, we had 3 Xmas out last week and the two with stock cans would pull 7900+ all day on clicker 3. The one with a can needed clicker 4 to pull the same rpm. Reading the posts on here most guys are running clicker 4 with A can. Is the extra noise and lose of weight worth losing hp?
Not worth it

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, we had 3 Xmas out last week and the two with stock cans would pull 7900+ all day on clicker 3. The one with a can needed clicker 4 to pull the same rpm. Reading the posts on here most guys are running clicker 4 with A can. Is the extra noise and lose of weight worth losing hp?

Can't compare to other sleds, too many variables.
Put the stock can on the sled in question and test on a hill of your choice, than the next day, or better yet the same day, try the aftermarket can and test again on the same hill and compare notes.
I'm running the stock can on mine first than I'll put the aftermarket can on the next day. If I have to click up or down from the stock can clicker setting than I'll know where I stand in the cans ability to perform at altitude.
Just out of curiosity what brand of can was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vidgren

Reaction score
But still.. You cant argue with the fact that alot of the aftermarket cans show a loss of hp on a dyno.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vidgren, no one can argue it either way because there are no dyno sheets to compare.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nobody implied that it added HP or stated that it did but the clickers do compensate for the loss of power as you climb into thinner air.its a pretty simple topic turned Complicated!!

Well there is a lot of pretty simple topics on here that many people don't seem to understand.

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buy all my cans and pipes from Greg at Jaws. I talked to Greg about can for my 1000 and he said it took along time to design a can that didn't lose power and the same was true with etec? At the same time I asked him about pipe for 1000 and he said that the pipe gains were so minimal that it wasn't worth the r&d time!Also you have to understand that you may not be losing power you could even be gaining? Having a free flowing exhaust simply moves the hp curve higher in rpm range thus having to adjust clicckers as your clutching is rpm sensitive! Seen this alot in drag cars.

Last edited:

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Not sure how many miles you have on. But I've just ripping around at home here for 350 miles @ 2500'. I was on clicker 1 and not pulling rmp so went to clicker 2. sled ran great. Then at like 330 miles it kept flashing rev limiter on the guage. So these things definitely wake up after a few miles!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Not sure how many miles you have on. But I've just ripping around at home here for 350 miles @ 2500'. I was on clicker 1 and not pulling rmp so went to clicker 2. sled ran great. Then at like 330 miles it kept flashing rev limiter on the guage. So these things definitely wake up after a few miles!!!

350 miles in the ditches of Foam Lake……………….:D

That is incredible! You better take a road trip bud.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the question of wither or not a can makes or loses horsepower is not really that important is it?
I mean so what if it loses 1 0r 2 hp if the weight loss of 15lbs is equal to 3 or 4 hp gain ?
my point being that a sled of equal hp but loweer weight will go further faster higher then the heavier sled

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder if thats my problem. At 2700' and on clicker 1. Won't rev past 6900rpm and seems real boggy. Gonna try clicker 2 tomorrow maybe. I have .3 miles on mine lol.

Top Bottom