What are your snow predictions for the 2012-13 season?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
So who's got the inside track on this info???? Farmer's almanac info??? Anything???? I need something to get me through this summer!!!!

This is what I want to hear....early winter..tons of snow...staying late in the season

Jan

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So who's got the inside track on this info???? Farmer's almanac info??? Anything???? I need something to get me through this summer!!!!

This is what I want to hear....early winter..tons of snow...staying late in the season

Jan

Got all my fingers and toes crossed.....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Next season already? Still a few more days of riding for this season.

Now predicting for next season isn't easy as there are a lot of factors to take into consideration. First of all, I work with the patterns of migrating birds and then the spring or early season rains. My more accurate work comes in the fall when I take into account the area wood piles, the weather events of the summer, bird migration, total rainfall for the summer, water flows in the creeks/rivers, etc..

The hummingbirds aren't back in the upper Kootenay's yet. It is late this year; about 1-2 weeks late. The white crowned sparrows were 3 weeks late this year. We also have an Evening Grosbeak hanging around and that hasn't happened in the 12 years we have lived at this elevation. Interesting changes.

The rain situation (this is as measured in my rain gauge prior to the mother's Day weekend of the following years): 2012 - 5"; 2011 - minimal rain; 2010 - 2.75"; 2009 - it was still snowing this time of year; 2008 - we had 3" of snow on the ground on Mother's Day weekend; 2007 - 5". Generally speaking, we are above the average spring rain amounts.

I have found that the amount of snow at higher elevations at this time of year didn't have a bearing on the following winter but the melt rate at higher elevations definitely has an effect and that is taken into account in July when we came get quads into Koko Claims.

With the above data transposed into my infamous chart I come up with the following:
1. We will have an early winter. Riding will be great in November.
2. We will have tons of snow due to moisture that will hang around throughout the summer.
3. We will have late season riding due to the fact that the hummingbirds are very late in arriving in the Kootenay's this year.

Everyone realizes that my weather forecasting reputation is being stuck a way out on a limb and may not be worth a pinch of 'coon chit come next November! But you heard it first on SnowandMud.com

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like your scientific data and will go wth your gut instinct. Put em away and got the Mastercraft out for a little skiing today. Usually gotta worry about junk in the water from runoff but teh melt hasn't really started. That should factor into your early season snow fall due to moisture hanging around in the summer.

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Knowing my luck we won't get anything because I ordered a new sled!

We'll see!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have all the scientific data that ferniesnow does, but I will go out on a limb and predict the snow next season will be white.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have all the scientific data that ferniesnow does, but I will go out on a limb and predict the snow next season will be white.

to add to your prediction, I'd say there is likely to be patches of yellow in that there snow as well.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New Doos in my trailer, Old AC for sale. Hoping for a LOT of snow this winter!

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
The creator leaves signs all around us for the upcoming winter. It will be a later start with a near record snowfall for the season. This will help trap the too enthusiastic young ones on uncovered stumps and rocks. Then when the snow starts too dump, the old and wise mountain men will wield their machines through untracked fresh snow as the young guns desperately wrench in their shops.

The snow will fall heavily through each night, then the skies will open up every day to give us maximum light as we carefully lay tracks for our beloved caribou. Many people make a big mistake and think that the great howling snow sled is an enemy of the caribou, but in reality, the caribou rely upon us every year for tracks so they can properly move through deep snow.
The high up mountain lakes will freeze and the summer sport enthusiasts will start their long winded complaining days and their talk of far off sandy beaches. The days will become shorter and the temperatures will fall. The great sign in the sky of Orion the Hunter will appear and gaze down upon us...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so who's got the inside track on this info???? Farmer's almanac info??? Anything???? I need something to get me through this summer!!!!

This is what i want to hear....early winter..tons of snow...staying late in the season

jan

uh, it's coming.......... It's inevitable. Jus' sayin' ;)

Top Bottom