What app do you use

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been playing with Gaia a little and really like it so far. It is a huge battery hog on your phone though so carry a charging bank.

Dutchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last season we used Polaris Ride Command. Very minimal draw on the phone battery. Great map details. Easy to download the rides onto the computer. Much easier to use and better details than my fancy expensive GPS

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Gaia app works really well. I have the paid upgraded version, you can use the backroad mapbook maps, along with a ton of other features. Use it for hunting alot also, automatically transfers your stored trips and waypoints when you log into Gaia on a computer also. Good for pre planning trips

That's what I use. To check out the premium version this site has a 6 months free trial.

https://www.gaiagps.com/premium/?PR...KZP_Vtx1GHkWcDjGjnytSZoHVE0-LNIxjKRNWGbkZuHvc

Speaking of apps for slope angle I use this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use earthmate with my inreach delorme as well as Avenza Maps. Both work really well and we used to set a few tracks in the commons area we ride. Now its pretty rare we turn it on unless were venturing into a new area.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been playing with Gaia a little and really like it so far. It is a huge battery hog on your phone though so carry a charging bank.

When I'm sledding I go to airplane mode in the morning at the parking lot and turn on Gaia to record track. 8 hours later at the parking lot my battery will be down about 20% from where it started.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I'm sledding I go to airplane mode in the morning at the parking lot and turn on Gaia to record track. 8 hours later at the parking lot my battery will be down about 20% from where it started.
I did that when I was up Saturday and the battery life was much better. Unfortunately having it in my glovebox it didn't maintain service to get me a nice track.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did that when I was up Saturday and the battery life was much better. Unfortunately having it in my glovebox it didn't maintain service to get me a nice track.

Gaia doesn't need service to work. All you need to do is zoom in on the area you plan on riding to get a detailed map loaded into memory while you still have data (cellular or wifi). Then you can go into airplane mode and it'll work 100%, including showing the map, drawing your track, and keeping stats and saving any waypoints you add manually.

There is one scenario where the above won't work properly. Some phones have a power saving system where they prevent apps from running/computing while the screen is off, to save battery life. There are some special settings you can apply to the phone to ensure it keeps dropping track constantly while the screen is off. Most of my phones, this has worked out of the box. But my latest Android phone I had to modify some Android system/app settings. You'll know you have this problem if it only draws straight lines between each time you turn on your phone.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gaia doesn't need service to work. All you need to do is zoom in on the area you plan on riding to get a detailed map loaded into memory while you still have data (cellular or wifi). Then you can go into airplane mode and it'll work 100%, including showing the map, drawing your track, and keeping stats and saving any waypoints you add manually.

There is one scenario where the above won't work properly. Some phones have a power saving system where they prevent apps from running/computing while the screen is off, to save battery life. There are some special settings you can apply to the phone to ensure it keeps dropping track constantly while the screen is off. Most of my phones, this has worked out of the box. But my latest Android phone I had to modify some Android system/app settings. You'll know you have this problem if it only draws straight lines between each time you turn on your phone.
Yeah it was just connecting the points with straight lines. I assumed this was because it was dropping satellite connection in the glove box but may be a screen-on issue. I'll try that, thanks.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it was just connecting the points with straight lines. I assumed this was because it was dropping satellite connection in the glove box but may be a screen-on issue. I'll try that, thanks.

I found the tech support ticket email. Here's the suggestion they sent that worked for my on Android.

[FONT=&quot]Give the app permission to use your location services by going to your phone's settings> Applications > [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gaia[/FONT][FONT=&quot] GPS > Permissions > Location > Select "Allow all the time"[/FONT]

Top Bottom