Westridge avalanche

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could someone with more posting smarts than me please post the link to the CAA website concerning the slide in westridge on saturday. Its a eye opener,I have climbed on that hill to many times to remember. The run out was almost a klick long.
I debated taking my 14 year old in there that same day but went to blue river instead. I think i might hang up my helmet for this year.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
guid-d97c65eb-ee8d-4961-b1fe-8e5deaaadaa1.JPG

guid-b3378902-6e62-4804-b953-d4419b65941c.JPG

that is alot of snow my friends..to come over that knoll and across the lake completely and back down towards town a bit

stuckenough

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, I have'nt rode up there in years, but that was one of our fav riding areas in Valemont. In all the times we rode the area I never saw that slope let go...although it does face east. Nice pics though.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, those were the links and pics i was hoping for.

GRD

Reaction score
That is crazy... We played on that lake lots on the weekend before!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I talked to one of the people caught in this and there are some very important learnings that can come from this avy too. I hope the people involved will be willing to share so we can learn.

I was amazed at the length of the runout for the amount of vertical that let go.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks cool .... I'm leary of going there because of the seclusion of the parking lot and the number of related thefts. One day it would be fun to park yourself in the bush with a video camera for evidence, case of beer for nourishment, a load of buckshot in your favorite gun ..... oh ya beer, ok forget gun but lots of rope to tie the little buggers up then we can pee on them lol (remember said case of beer) :beer::beer::d:beer::beer:

Hosstopher

Reaction score
I just came across this thread and have never posted before. This in response to the member asking for more details of the slide. I am 1 of the 2 guys that were burried in this slide. We had been doing ski and snowboard runs from the right side of the photo riding the gulley that had a mellow slope and ends in the terrain trap behind single tree of the photo along the rightside of the slide.A snowmobile would then come up and get us out of the terrain trap. My brother and I had just finished a run and our brother-in-law was sledding up to collect us. My brother decided to skate up and out of the gulley. Usually I put my snowboard in the rack on the sled, but ended up carring it. as we were coming out of the gulley i slid off the leftside running board and fell. As I was standing up i heard my buddy yelling and then felt the impact. I thought he had run over my on his sled but things were darkening and still moving, that's when I realized what was going on. By the time the snow cloud settled we had self rescued our selves. It turns out one of the guys in the group saw that we were "almost" clear and decided to go up on the left side of the photo, initiating the slide which broke loose below him. We lost a few things up there including a snowboard, so if anyone ends up there and comes across them before we do please let me know. Ride Safe and respect the mountains

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the info. One of the important parts I got from the discussion on this was the group had made a decision not to ride the left side due to the cornices, yet one person couldn't resist and still went over, causing the avy.

Top Bottom