well i guess it beats a chopper ride...

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i was out today have a great time in the snow, carving around and jumping all sorts of things, and then i saw it, a nice big fat jump with a perfect landing. so i turn the sled due west and line my self up for the jump, eyeing up the line i wanted. i get into the throttle and start to move and next thing you know i'm laying on the hood.

not what i was expecting either i know. turns out chuck norris decided to kick a big hole in my chain case and snap my chain while he was at it.

so we got out the tow strap and me in my infinite wisdom decide that the bumper looked like a good place to hook up the strap to. bad idea, that thing broke off faster than i finger at -60. (in my defense the towstrap was pretty short run from ski to around the other sleds bumper and to the other ski).

so with a new tow strap we were on our way and now my sleds resides in the shop, awaiting a new chain case and chain. oh and a bumper. any body have any of this forsale?

but as the title says, in a week and a half i'm heading off to sicamous for a trip. i was debating not riding it till then, just to make sure i didn't crash it. but i guess a broken bumper is a hang of a lot cheaper than a chopper.

Attachments

• 01222011187.jpg
    01222011187.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 658

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blew a chaincase yesterday as well. Already on the trail heading out, 15K tow not to bad.

oldskool

Reaction score
did the bumper thing once also I now pack enough rope to hook to the spindles chit happens

hihi962

Reaction score
what top gear were you running i went through 2 chains in 2 seasons with the 18 tooth. anything larger ive never had a problem

did you take out your case in either instance? just curious about all this, because I bought new sprockets/chain, but not sure if I should wait till a failure to replace them and risk the case going too, or just replace it after a given amount of km's..(not sure how after how many thou?)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you take out your case in either instance? just curious about all this, because I bought new sprockets/chain, but not sure if I should wait till a failure to replace them and risk the case going too, or just replace it after a given amount of km's..(not sure how after how many thou?)

yep usualy takes out both sides to a tune of 500$ in parts.

i change chains every season or 3000km +-

and ric i change my fluid every season which is usually 3000-5000km. but usually during that season i have done a few gearing changes and change the fluid anyway bulk ATF fluid is cheap so i flush it out.

chain tension should be checked and adjusted after the first 100km on a NEW chain. after that i check it about every 500km as i have seen the tensioner back off and ratchet the chain.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BRP top gears really take a S#$T kickin. when you pull the chain just hold it sidways and if it droops like a" limp noodle" (my fav BRP term) just change it out. The bottom gears seem fine usually. If i dont have the gold plated BRP chaincase oil I prefer engine oil. Like a 15-40.i have seen the top gears severly chewed up after 2000 kms. once they are all f'd up the chain is a timebomb.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 2200 miles on my chain when I changed it out last week, always tensioned properly and have the cover off at least once a season to change oil and inspect. I was surprised how little wear there was on the original chain, and no detectable wear whatsoever on the gears.

hihi962

Reaction score
yea, I'm touching 1600 miles, changed oil once, made two tightening adjustments, guess I should yard it out for peace of mind...keep the used stuff as spare rather then new stuff.
I like the flush idea too, but even after that, it still seems the magnet is loaded full, eventhough clean oil is covering the dipstick. I been using synthetic gear oil - seems to be about the same weight.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea, I'm touching 1600 miles, changed oil once, made two tightening adjustments, guess I should yard it out for peace of mind...keep the used stuff as spare rather then new stuff.
I like the flush idea too, but even after that, it still seems the magnet is loaded full, eventhough clean oil is covering the dipstick. I been using synthetic gear oil - seems to be about the same weight.
that's what I have been using for lube as well, synthetic gear oil we run in our truck rear ends and wheel bearings.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious.. how many miles up till the chain blew?
the sled has about 4000kms on it, and as far as i know its the original stuff

what top gear were you running i went through 2 chains in 2 seasons with the 18 tooth. anything larger ive never had a problem
it has the 19 on the top, but i was thinkin of switching the bottom to a 47...

Hmmmmm, how often do you guys check your chain adjustment and change the chaincase fluid? Just curious......

i check the dipstick and chain tension every ride i go on. sounds a little over zealous but it saved me a chain case last year on my 600 sdi. i pulled the dipstick and low and behold there was a chain link on the magnet.

as for changing the oil i just took the case apart about a month ago to do a check up, so nice fresh oil in there. maybe i just have crazy power?lol:rolleyes::d

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
but on the bright side Rick, i got some parts from a garage you apparently frequent quite regularly, or did at some point. made a visit to Terry in sherwood park, man he has a whack of parts!

Top Bottom