Well built RVs?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the title states, which brands of RVs are well built aka not made of balsa wood and Elmer's white glue. Any Canadian built rv brands as well? My parents are looking for a used 22'-24' bumper pull style camper but there's only a zillion of these things on the market. Which brands should we stay away from like the bubonic plague? I went to the rv show earlier this year and there were several brands that just oozed with poor craftsmanship (and I can't remember them now, go figure)

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bigfoot is canadian and are starting to build trailers again and build an excellent unit, albeit pricey. All other canadian brands are no longer but still many good used ones available. Citation and Chateau (General Coach), Topaz (Triple E), Okanagan to name a few canadian ones. Outback from Oregon appear to build a good unit, Wind river, Timber Ridge, Creek Side are some of the models. Apparently Arctic fox build a reasonable unit. All in what you like for options and finish and floor plans as well. Somwe you need a 2500 to pull and some are half ton towable. JMO

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Jayfeather by Jayco, very nice build, light weight and all real wood inside for the cabinets etc. When I bought it I was also loking at Palomino's and they make a nice unit as well, ecspecially the Sabre by Palomino

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my Jayfeather by Jayco, very nice build, light weight and all real wood inside for the cabinets etc. When I bought it I was also loking at Palomino's and they make a nice unit as well, ecspecially the Sabre by Palomino
I can give a personal nod towards Jayco as well...I had a Jayflite and it was a good solid trailer. For powered units: Newmar and Tiffen are top names.

Discalimer: all trailers and mohos use the same crappy components...Sureflo, Dometic, Norcold, Atwood, Powergear...so even the best constructed RV's have issues with the components.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also forest river [ which has many brands ] is well built .... not very many new ones are ....
the new gulfstream sucks compared to the older gulfstream ...
fleetwood well they are outa busness ... and so is travelair [ used to be awsome units ]

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fleetwood is still around the quit making travel trailers to focus on motorhomes now

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The words of a good friend that owns a major RV Dealership in Alberta" There all junk" :)

I concur as a journeymen Rv tech!! Every brand has its fair share of issues. Triple e and travelaire are my top picks of well built and least problematic. In a used trailer it all boils down to maintanence. Inspect the roof carefully for leaks in every cabinet. Watch for brand specific parts that may need replacing from out of buisness manufacturers

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got a Cougar. Very well built. The trailer is heavy but built solid. Our 245 Cougar is 6000lbs dry and 9300lbs loaded. I pull it with a 1500 Chevy pickup.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jayco gets a vote from me and about four of friends and family.Over 50,000km on our 2006 and still not a single problem.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a Nash 4 season that we very much enjoy and use, little on the heavy side, but we go early and stay late. No issues so far in the 3 years we have had it. Arctic Fox is the sister brand to it.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a "low end" trailer Jayco is hard to beat. It's not an Arctic Fox but for 1/2 the price you get a good rig.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just bought in the states a 2012 Wildcat by Forest River. It is great very well make and holding up to the bad sask roads very well!!!!!!!!LOL

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a Forest River Surveyor - I didn't realize what great quality it was - until I bought a POS Keystone Cougar.
I, and 3 of our friends can't say enuff bad things about those Cougars.
I've upgraded to a Heartland Cyclone 5'vr now - and am impressed. Heartland is considered a pretty good quality builder.
The neighbor has an Oakanagan trailer - he's very happy with the quality.

All RV's are pretty weak - just some more than others.

Good luck in your search.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't touch a keystone trailer with a 10 ft pole to many issues with the pos Springdale we had

Top Bottom