Weight training discussion

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
battle ropes if you want to train for handlebars, can use them as active rest between sets or cardio

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try running up stairs fast as you can, or sprinting up a big hill. Where a backpack with weight in it to make more challenging or
carry a rock or something heavy for a bit of a upper body workout.

It works my legs really hard, harder than squats or leg press even id say. Plus it is great cardio and its only a 10 min workout, and ur beat after...lol

(Aiming for 30 seconds to 1 min of sprinting hard as you can. Min or so rest inbetween.)

Do that a few times, and then tell me you didnt get a work out.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go ski touring.
You will cough up your lungs and your legs will be on fire.
But either you will get in shape or die on the mountain.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go ski touring.
You will cough up your lungs and your legs will be on fire.
But either you will get in shape or die on the mountain.

Thats kind of like running a Marathon though. Won't put on any size (if thats the goal)

If just getting in shape is the goal, then yes ski touring would do it forsure.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats kind of like running a Marathon though. Won't put on any size (if thats the goal)

If just getting in shape is the goal, then yes ski touring would do it forsure.
Legs will be huge.
It's long slow burn.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of good feedback here. Something different works for everyone. Low rep typically builds muscle mass and higher reps are for toning. My typical gym groupings is as follows:

-bi/tri
-chest
-back/shoulder
-legs

i almost always superset the days I have two muscle groups going. I will change up what I do on days but do find it’s best to focus on just legs and chest as different days because they take so much power. At the end of the day you only have so much in the tank. Make sure to listen to your body, it will tell you when it’s done. Don’t keep going just to finish a routine, that’s how you hurt yourself. I use a pre workout (cycle on and off) then BCAA’s during the workout in my water bottle and a protein and glutamine shake after.

Based on the results I have had so far, I am going to spend the next few weeks or month focusing on 4-6 reps. Will definitely mix it up after that but just curious to see what kind of difference it makes. I am definitely changing my routine to move down to each muscle group once a week. I just cant recover from two. Plus alot of muscle groups get it twice from certain exercises (bench press hits your pecs and tri's, etc). Also agree on learning to listen to your body. Was hitting a wall a couple of weeks ago so took at least a week off. Came back and was lifting more weight. Must have needed the extra recovery time.

Im still a little confused on the supplements. I did a bunch of research before ordering mine and it seems like there are mixed opinions. Some say you are getting everything you need from a healthy diet. Others will swear by certain ones. I just about ordered BCAAs but most things I read suggested you are getting them from any decent protein powder. Who knows. Creatine seems to be the only "undisputed" one I read about. It also sounds like it works unbelievably for some people, and not so much for others. I must respond to it better. One other one I am on is beta alanine. Hard to say how much it helps though when taking it with other stuff.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last night i tryed the Magnum Nutraceuticacs pre4 blue shark candy pre...was intense, if anyone looking to try new pre....this is it!

Creatine also works like a pre workout, taken once and you can feel it (in powder form) unlike a test booster or fat burners. Your body need to build a tolerance to it, that's why we take boosters or burners for 7 weeks.

HUNT 24/7

Reaction score
Based on the results I have had so far, I am going to spend the next few weeks or month focusing on 4-6 reps. Will definitely mix it up after that but just curious to see what kind of difference it makes. I am definitely changing my routine to move down to each muscle group once a week. I just cant recover from two. Plus alot of muscle groups get it twice from certain exercises (bench press hits your pecs and tri's, etc). Also agree on learning to listen to your body. Was hitting a wall a couple of weeks ago so took at least a week off. Came back and was lifting more weight. Must have needed the extra recovery time.

Make sure you are very well warmed up & stretched before you lift, staying in the 4-6 rep range will put some serious stress on your body, injures can happen real easy lifting heavy if your not ready. Only train each muscle once a week, give them time to heal.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are very well warmed up & stretched before you lift, staying in the 4-6 rep range will put some serious stress on your body, injures can happen real easy lifting heavy if your not ready. Only train each muscle once a week, give them time to heal.

For sure. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago. Was in really good shape, moving some pretty decent weight. Went to steer wrestling practise one night and didnt warm up much and popped my right pec almost completely off. In hindsight, if I would have warmed up properly Im sure it wouldnt have happened.

HUNT 24/7

Reaction score
For sure. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago. Was in really good shape, moving some pretty decent weight. Went to steer wrestling practise one night and didnt warm up much and popped my right pec almost completely off. In hindsight, if I would have warmed up properly Im sure it wouldnt have happened.

I had some problems as well, I used to do a 5x5 program, would stretch & start with some lighter sets then jump right into my 5x5. The 5-10min of stretching & 3 lighter sets before just wasn’t enough, luckily I didn’t have a major injury, just a bunch of pulled muscles. Worst one was my lower back squatting. Now I just stay in the 10-12 rep range & leave the heavy stuff for the young bucks!

c_nelson99

Reaction score
I found taking hydrolized collegen at night really helped my joints, fish oils I couldn't stomach. You wanna try something that will give you killer endurance and blood flush look up citruline malate, it really helps with lactic acid and you get a wicked pump off it.

ZMA, zinc magnesium asphatate at night you'll be amazed how good you sleep. You'll get longer rem sleep with out any side effects like taking melatonin.

Google this stuff lots of good medical evidence backed info you will find. Don't waste money on most of the other stuff, most pre-workouts have creatine and if you eat a reasonable amount of meat you'll have a decent level.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost a year to the day Deaner... Have you or anyone else changed and had some transformation in the past year with help from all the input on this thread? Another torn rotator cuff slowed me down a bit on weights but still feeling good. Anyone jump on the keto diet fad this past year:rolleyes:

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to jump on the work out band wagon myself. I've never in my life really been known as a slim and trim guy. I've always been tall though at 6'4" so that was my saving grace. Reached peak hight in grd 10. Graduated at 270sh. Maintained that weight for the next 15 years almost. I've always worked hard, but never ate healthy so to speak, loved sugar filled everything and a poor metabolism doesn't help either.

Then I quit smoking 3.5 years ago and replaced it with other garbage. Energy drinks daily and them fawking cone shaped bags of candies at the convenient stores, amongst other things too. Chit adds up quickly. I was never one to hop on a scale though so I didn't see it slowly creeping up via a gaining number. There was a turning point at work one day when I noticed I had trouble doing a daily task that I've done my entire life. I went home that night and stood on the scale. I actually shed a few tears in disgust. I hit 347lbs.

From that day forward I was on a bit of a mission. Basically cut all sugar from what I ate, no more pop, energy drinks and candies. Pretty much stopped eating fast food while living away on the road while working. Just grocery shopped and got kitchenette in motels instead. When we did go to sit down restaurants for dinners I'd make the better choice for dinners.

Havent ever had a gym membership in my life, still doing the same work, it's just way easier. Been Going for pedal bike rides with my 2 young boys almost daily, 1.5 years later I'm 210-215lbs. Still have some stomach fat, but I'm doing way better I think.

I feel like I now have the confidence and drive to be at the gym, and that it would be worthwhile for me. I'm not looking to get chiseled, but it would be pretty rad to go shirtless without people giving you the look.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled my mountain bike out for the first time the other day! Want to start riding to work, 7km through river valley is easy enough. My lady got 4th in a new year lean out challenge online the other day and is talking about competing sooner than later... yummy mummy is back! Making better choices, cut out the double doubles and back to black coffee and water. eatin' is cheatin'!

Crustyolddude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good Thread, keep it going. I also guilty of taking it easy last 20 years. As teenager slender, athletic from Jr. Hockey. Then worked drilling Rigs, my arms, wrists were hard as Rocks. Then as Consultant, everything slows down.
cracked Mtn Bike out, the other day, felt good. Now incorporate Resistance training in the program. Will be following/commenting on this thread. Cheers. PB43. :beer:

QUOTE=NoBrakes!;2621797]I pulled my mountain bike out for the first time the other day! Want to start riding to work, 7km through river valley is easy enough. My lady got 4th in a new year lean out challenge online the other day and is talking about competing sooner than later... yummy mummy is back! Making better choices, cut out the double doubles and back to black coffee and water. eatin' is cheatin'![/QUOTE]

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to jump on the work out band wagon myself. I've never in my life really been known as a slim and trim guy. I've always been tall though at 6'4" so that was my saving grace. Reached peak hight in grd 10. Graduated at 270sh. Maintained that weight for the next 15 years almost. I've always worked hard, but never ate healthy so to speak, loved sugar filled everything and a poor metabolism doesn't help either.

Then I quit smoking 3.5 years ago and replaced it with other garbage. Energy drinks daily and them fawking cone shaped bags of candies at the convenient stores, amongst other things too. Chit adds up quickly. I was never one to hop on a scale though so I didn't see it slowly creeping up via a gaining number. There was a turning point at work one day when I noticed I had trouble doing a daily task that I've done my entire life. I went home that night and stood on the scale. I actually shed a few tears in disgust. I hit 347lbs.

From that day forward I was on a bit of a mission. Basically cut all sugar from what I ate, no more pop, energy drinks and candies. Pretty much stopped eating fast food while living away on the road while working. Just grocery shopped and got kitchenette in motels instead. When we did go to sit down restaurants for dinners I'd make the better choice for dinners.

Havent ever had a gym membership in my life, still doing the same work, it's just way easier. Been Going for pedal bike rides with my 2 young boys almost daily, 1.5 years later I'm 210-215lbs. Still have some stomach fat, but I'm doing way better I think.

I feel like I now have the confidence and drive to be at the gym, and that it would be worthwhile for me. I'm not looking to get chiseled, but it would be pretty rad to go shirtless without people giving you the look.

Atta boy. That is great commitment
I’m down 33 lbs in the last 15 months. Go get that gym membership and start nice and easy. Watch you tube vids. Lots of good info on there. Lots of chit too. But I’ve learnt a ton from there, started working out in high school. Thought I knew what I was doing. Not even close. Took a shoulder injury in Jan for me to realize my form was chit

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Almost a year to the day Deaner... Have you or anyone else changed and had some transformation in the past year with help from all the input on this thread? Another torn rotator cuff slowed me down a bit on weights but still feeling good. Anyone jump on the keto diet fad this past year:rolleyes:

Just finished six weeks with no sugar, dairy, wheat, or alcohol. Definitely helps trim a guy up and feel good. Still do a bit of cardio, but just cant seem to do the weights because of some health problems. Something like arthritis, but not arthritis. Has been extremely frustrating. A year and still waiting to get into a rheumatologist.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just finished six weeks with no sugar, dairy, wheat, or alcohol. Definitely helps trim a guy up and feel good. Still do a bit of cardio, but just cant seem to do the weights because of some health problems. Something like arthritis, but not arthritis. Has been extremely frustrating. A year and still waiting to get into a rheumatologist.

Curious to know what you ate if you cut all of that out. Food is probably the single largest struggle for me.

Top Bottom