Weed zzzz

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I got em just like everyone else. With roundup sitting at $34 a gal from most outlets I'm just woundering what the prairie boys use around the Alberta farm to control weed problems?
Is there cheaper stuff that still works or can a guy cut a brake buying bulk?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these would be farmers giving weed control advice....they didn't ask you what weed you want to kill or control.

One single chemical does not work on every weed...unless you want to kill everything, then roundup.

Depending on what you want to control, Par 3 flat out works on dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.....

Thistle??......nope

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All these would be farmers giving weed control advice....they didn't ask you what weed you want to kill or control.

One single chemical does not work on every weed...unless you want to kill everything, then roundup.

Depending on what you want to control, Par 3 flat out works on dandelions and other broadleaf weeds.....

Thistle??......nope Why I sent the link, clearly no one reads anymore, Factor 540 is a group 9 herbicide (Inhibitors of EPSP synthesis) so stops amino acids to build. It's worked great, just be careful where you are applying it. And roundup off the self will likely not kill anything anymore, solution have been so diluted over the years.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Back when I lived in SK, I would get my farmer friends to get the good stuff for me. I have long gone through the jug that I brought out here.

Saying that, I've realized that the results from the concentrate one buys at CT or wherever isn't the same as in the olden days. So, I mix it stronger. I still use Killex for broadleaf plants (dandelions, clover, thistle, etc.) and RoundUp for the stray grass. Both sprays I mix three times as strong as the instructions say. I'm happy with the results as long as it doesn't rain just after I apply it. Seems to be like stepping on a spider.......if you know what I mean.

I use the shelf type sprayer unit until it is wore out (they seem to only last a couple seasons) mixing a new batch as required. It is an ongoing battle with all the "green attitude" out here and the people who feel weeds are just fine.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing will beat roundup but I tried some more "natural" formulas too with epson salt, vinegar and water. It works pretty good as well. But you have to have several days without rain.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing i have found that will kill thistle up in this area is crc brake Kleen, in either the red or green spray can. They will turn brown and die in less than an hour and one can lasts a long time if you are just spot spraying around the yard, $3.50 can when on sale at Napa.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only thing i have found that will kill thistle up in this area is crc brake Kleen, in either the red or green spray can. They will turn brown and die in less than an hour and one can lasts a long time if you are just spot spraying around the yard, $3.50 can when on sale at Napa.

Tough on ants as well, knock a hornet out of the air and clean moly off your hands.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To kill thistle your best results come from spraying it in the fall. Spraying in the spring before the rosette stage will give you season long control. In the fall you will kill it dead. The trick is to spray it before it freezes hard for the first time. The plant is taking in nutrients in the fall getting ready for the long cold winter and takes the spray down to the roots. In the spring its pushing everything into growth and the roots will survive with spring application.

I hope this makes sense.

Garzon works the best in my opinion but if money is a factor 24D is a cheap route.

www1.foragebeef.ca/$foragebeef/frgebeef.nsf/all/frg1097/$FILE/Weedscanadathistle.pdf

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you cut a brake it might be hard to stop.

Yep I got em just like everyone else. With roundup sitting at $34 a gal from most outlets I'm just woundering what the prairie boys use around the Alberta farm to control weed problems?
Is there cheaper stuff that still works or can a guy cut a brake buying bulk?

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just tried brake clean on some weeds in the yard,watching them die as I type this it works great.

Top Bottom