Canadian Tire Red Deer

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought some driving lights from the Sylvan Canadian Tire store in the fall. Have worked well but just weren't enough and kinda wanted to buy a bit better pair of driving lights to mount higher on top of the bumper. (headlight housings on the old dodge are screwed and I'm not paying $100-ish a peice for new headlights on a beater) Anyways, yesterday at work I accidentally broke the cheap light. Well I wanted others anyways....no biggie.(The ones I bought in Sylvan were just sitting on the shelf.....wide open) So now that I am a resident of Red Deer again I went in first thing this morning to CT north. The lights I was looking for were in the locked cage....fine. Asked the guy politely to unlock the cage as I wanted to look closer at the lights. No problems...After lookin at the rough dimensions I felt they'd be good, and I'll try crazy gluing the old ones and that way I'll have 2 sets....Perfect! I told the guy that I'd get them. I proceeded to walk to the front and while he was closing and locking the case he explained that he had to walk them to the front for me. I politely said I can too... No drama or anything ensued, I sauntered up to the cashier with the only light on. Put the lights on the counter and stood there. I seen out the corner of my eye that the parts guy had indeed followed me but abruptly turned around and walked away the moment he saw the lights safely on the counter....Oh did I mention these lights retailed at $34.

Now I KNOW HE WAS JUST DOING HIS JOB!! And that was fine! But I know that the management MUST tell all employees to treat everyone as a criminal threat. And yes I know there are alot of dishonest people out there. I work with the public as well and I DO NOT treat everyone as a potential thief!

Feels as though soon we are going to have a personal chaperon to take us shopping pushing a caged cart around a store because they are afraid someone is going to steal from them.

Also, I have owned a business before and had stuff stolen...Ive had vehicles broken into, and even had a car stolen. But I still don't treat every like a criminal.

.......Rant over!

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Canadian Tires are rediculous with their locked cages, you always have to make sure that is the last place you hit because they will not allow you to go around with anything from those cages in your cart/basket. I find it very inconvinient, yes I understand theft prevention, however, there are stores with stuff of much higher value that don't lock it up like its Fort Knox.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always wondered how those certain items get evaluated to be locked up over other items on the next self. In the electronics section there appears to be much more selection that I would consider risky versus some bumper lights and fancy valve stem caps.
Guess I will have to hire on with CT to find out in my next life

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya have noticed this for years. they just assume you are a thief.

i have gone to the return/ service desk a few times and have asked why they are treating me like a thief. makes for interesting conversation. suggest everyone try it.

Last edited:

PowderStew

Reaction score
I needed a bottle of air tool oil. Went to CT found it in the same locked case as the air tools. Kid would not let me carry the $4.56 bottle of oil to the counter.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea this is pretty annoying. If I was going to steal from CT, it sure wouldn't be headlights. Or oil. Wtf? I find it pretty sad when I have to ask permission to get into the tool cage. I hear ya.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres worse things in life to have to endure, but I like it cause if you tell em you have more shopping to do he takes the item to customer service and if its busy you get to ring your other stuff through there and not have to stand in line at a regular check out.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres worse things in life to have to endure, but I like it cause if you tell em you have more shopping to do he takes the item to customer service and if its busy you get to ring your other stuff through there and not have to stand in line at a regular check out.

The force is strong with this one.

john s

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the cage here in CT there are router bits. I never really understood that when next to them are drill bits and wrenches in the open.

Sent from my iPhone while telling gay jokes with Phil Robinson

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was doing work in the Pas Manitoba stick deodorant was behind the counter. Its the area that your in and what is stolen a lot that determines what gets locked up.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had pretty much the same thing happen at Home depot.Went in there with a friend
just before closing to get afew things.Got the girl at self checkout to open the locked cage
where the breakers are.I grabbed the breaker I needed and waited 5 ft away from the girl
for my friend so we could ring up our purchases.(we were the only people in the store)
The self checkout girl kept staring at me like something was wrong,I asked "what's up"
She said "Could you put your item down over here".I said" I'm standing right here, what's
the problem".She then came over and took the item out of my hand.
LOL,what's next airport X-ray machines.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DodgeGuy, you're being too sensitive. They probably just realized that you're from North Edmonton and took necessary precautions. :)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be thankful you actually got some service at cdn tire. It's a rare thing.

hmm what is this service you so fondly speek of? if they had a few floor staff, it may cut down on theft and they wouldn't have to be assumeing all there customers are thieves. with all the security cameras you'd think they would catch the thieves. unless they only have one little ol lady in the back. the store has become a joke.

for fun pick stuff up and carry it around the store and put it down somewhere. drives them nuts trying to look at the cameras. lol

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's just one more of many, many reasons I do most of my shopping from right here on my laptop. :rant:

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they still do, but a buddy's cousin was doing plain clothes loss prevention at the Ukrainian Wheel on 178th in Edmonton a number of years back. Said it was the most boring job ever.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canadian tire drives me insane for that. Yes I'd like a 13mm socket please. But wait! I'll have to track down a team member to unlock that for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Top Bottom