Wcb gunman

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone heard about the hostage situation at WCB? Apparently there is a gunman that is holdin 6-8 people on the 8th floor. Trying to find out more info!

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
My wife works for WCB...it is her old team that is being held :(:(:(

A specially trained Edmonton Police Hostage negotiator is talking by telephone with a man who is holding several people at gunpoint in a conference room at the downtown Workers Compensation Building. When he entered the building minutes after 8:30am he fired a shot in the lobby of the building on 107th Street north of 99th Avenue but no one was injured. The man is armed with a high power hunting rifle.

The man is wearing a camouflage jacket and carrying a backpack. He has told police he is "mad at the world" and blames a WCB doctor for most of his trouble. The man and his hostages are believed to be in a conference room on the upper floor of the building. He told the police negotiator he wanted cigarettes and some water - promising to release one of his hostages in exchange. It's not known if that exchange has taken place.

The man has been asking for a Workers Compensation Board doctor he blames for "screwing up his life".

Police have isolated a large area around the WCB building on 107th Street north of 99th Avenue while they deal with the gunman.

Our reporter on scene has seen dozens of people being evacuated from the building and from surrounding buildings.

Evacuated employees have been moved to nearby Alberta government buildings and the Legislative grounds. Our reporter at the Legislature says police have addressed the evacuees. Police telling them the man is contained on the 8th floor and that everyone is safe. ETS buses are being brought in to move the evacuees to another location.(EM,blb)

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
EDMONTON - Police were dealing Wednesday with an armed man who was holding several hostages at the Workers' Compensation Board building near the Alberta legislature.

Police spokesman Jeff Wuite couldn't say how many hostages were involved, although reports suggested there were between four and nine.

Police received a 911 call from the building in downtown Edmonton shortly after 8:30 a.m. and quickly brought in tactical officers and negotiators.

"We feel quite positive, now that we have opened the lines of communication, that we do have an opportunity to bring this to a peaceful conclusion," Wuite said.

Police negotiators were prepared to take their time talking to the man, he added.

"It's important to point out that we are in no hurry right now. We don't want to rush anything. We want to talk to this guy, find out what his problems are and help him deal with that so everyone can walk out of that building safely."

A radio station reported that the man was carrying a high-powered hunting rifle and was asking for water and cigarettes in exchange for a hostage.

A board spokeswoman said the eight-storey office tower had been evacuated. Police were also clearing other buildings in the area, including a hotel and a coffee shop.

Jennifer Dagsvik said employees in the building include case managers and claim adjudicators.

"We're ... concerned for everyone involved and that's our priority. We want to make sure that everyone is safe."

Radio reports said the man held a grudge against a doctor from the compensation board and was "mad at the world."

There was an early report that a shot had been fired in the lobby, but Wuite couldn't confirm that.

The gunman, said to be wearing a camouflage jacket and carrying a backpack, apparently made his way to a conference room on the upper floor.

People who were forced to leave were taken a safe distance away by buses. Most of them were reluctant to talk and instead huddled together or phoned friends and family.

Police cordoned off an eight-block area, and cars with flashing lights and officers in SWAT gear were everywhere.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd hate to say it and hope everyone comes out ok but if you screw people around and dick with thier lives,dont return calls,judge them and belittle them somthing is bound to happen,i really hope eveyone comes out ok but like we didnt see this happening sooner or later:(

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I buddy of mine works for the board, He is okay, Good thing.. I am to call him tonight and he said he would give me the goods that he knows..

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember years ago many guys were killing themselves in the parking lot in Calgary, sad.

I'm dealing with them right now, very frustrating... ARG.

The boards doctors just rubber stamp anything the case worker wants, it's crazy that the Orthopedic Surgeon that puts the bones back together, has less clout than a regular MD that has never seen you... Crazy

Those buildings should have major security.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So will the hostages be refused coverage when they can't work because they suffer from post traumatic stress disorder from this incident? Hope everyone makes it out uninjured....including the gunman.

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't condone what this person has done, but I do know that the old boy's club at the WCB has screwed a lot of people over. I had a legitimate claim with them which was denied, enough said. People need to treat people with respect and dignity.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CBC Radio this morning said that this guy has a long history of crack cocaine use, and a record of being violent. Restraining order from the girlfriend and the like.

So is it truly WCB's fault or is it the sterio-typical case of "it's everybody elses fault", and no one is accountible for thier own actions anymore.

Sorry - morning rant.......carry on

well are all accountible for our actions but haveing gone through wcb I can attest that the doctors that work for them truly do work for wcb and not the injured individual I had a wcb doctor say I was good to go and several specialest say this was not the case

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend was on the 9th floor when the incident happened, she was on lockdown and didn't get out of the building until about 1 pm. Scary stuff:eek: Glad everyone made it out safe :)

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend was on the 9th floor when the incident happened, she was on lockdown and didn't get out of the building until about 1 pm. Scary stuff:eek: Glad everyone made it out safe :)

My aunt worked on the 8 floor. She was in the next room when they heard about what was going on. They found out by calling down and then were told to leave. According to my uncle " He has seen her mad, but she was pizzed that no one told them sooner " Thankfully no one was hurt !!!

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well its good no one got hurt and all but i think a good point has been made. wcb has screwed over so many people that im surprised this hasnt happened more often. the way it sounded on the news is that this guy was acting all radical or anything, just in there with a gun making a point. its controversial, but anyone that has dealt with or knows someone that is/ has dealt with wcb knows exactly where im coming from.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
well its good no one got hurt and all but i think a good point has been made. wcb has screwed over so many people that im surprised this hasnt happened more often. the way it sounded on the news is that this guy was acting all radical or anything, just in there with a gun making a point. its controversial, but anyone that has dealt with or knows someone that is/ has dealt with wcb knows exactly where im coming from.

Since when is making a point with a loaded weapon ok? This isn't a controversial act my friend...it's making a direct threat to end someone's life. Not sure about you, but when learning to hunt, I was taught to only point a loaded weapon at something I intend to kill.

Next time an angry crack addict points a loaded gun at your head to make his point will you be seeing his side of things?

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Since when is making a point with a loaded weapon ok? This isn't a controversial act my friend...it's making a direct threat to end someone's life. Not sure about you, but when learning to hunt, I was taught to only point a loaded weapon at something I intend to kill.

Next time an angry crack addict points a loaded gun at your head to make his point will you be seeing his side of things?

AGREE...no justification exists for that lunatics actions...period.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm thinking i quickly might come to a realization about everything going on and start thinking twice.

On the news it sure sounded like quite a few people turned up in the court room on friday to show support for this guy. Most of the time that doesnt happen. im sure these people in support of him have some kind of motive, and arent all his fellow crack addicts. :confused:

Top Bottom