Buying new Vehicle

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I pulled the trigger on a loaded jeep wagonneer to be built for the wife about 6 months ago. After getting delay after delay here we are...still no jeep and now to buy another new vehicle we are going to get hit with the luxury tax. Not sure what to do. Had a 3rd baby boy on Saturday and don't have a vehicle we can get 3 car seats In. Hence planning ahead and trying to buy 6 months ago. Has anyone else dealt with this recently? Did the dealers do anything for the crazy wait? Thinking about bailing on it, but then don't want to get hit with more taxes buying something else....

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch, might be waiting a while. As brutal as it sounds why new ? Get a 5,000 90s caravan and save those pennies !?
Beginning to seem like a good option... how do you think the wife will take it??

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We waited 6 months and were just about ready to give up when the dealer called and said the wife's vehicle was being built, got it three weeks after this. Maybe this will give you some hope lol

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you already had an order in before the tax came in effect i'd think the dealer would pull some strings with the paperwork and swap to a different vehicle to avoid it to save a deal?

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you already had an order in before the tax came in effect i'd think the dealer would pull some strings with the paperwork and swap to a different vehicle to avoid it to save a deal?
I think the tax came in jan 22 but grace period was until end of Sept for delivery? friend is waiting for a Porsche GT3 RS... been almost 3 years and the price has gone up substantially... plus the tax when it arrives.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
congrats on the baby boy man! too funny, my wife asked me yesterday if I had ever seen a Jeep Wagoneer as she was intrigued...

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s a wagoneer in Lacombe Dodge just sitting there.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered a truck May 10th and paid for before Luxury tax and still no truck .
Have had vin number and window sticker since Aug so reason I could beat the luxury tax .
Dealer wants to give money back as they can sell for more .
Not dealers the fault as they are trying but at the mercy of Ford .
I wait .

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered a truck May 10th and paid for before Luxury tax and still no truck .
Have had vin number and window sticker since Aug so reason I could beat the luxury tax .
Dealer wants to give money back as they can sell for more .
Not dealers the fault as they are trying but at the mercy of Ford .
I wait .
interesting what dealer? I ordered one and it came in 4 months.. 22 tremor diesel

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We signed for it in June. Was trying to beat the luxury tax, adds 10g to the price. What a scam

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting what dealer? I ordered one and it came in 4 months.. 22 tremor diesel
Sherwood Ford .
It’s a Raptor so it’s the other division of Ford and they are terrible . Been down this street before . Lol
Dummy me !!

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They haven't added the luxury tax on the original vehicle one we ordered. But if we were to buy from a different dealer they would. Feel were stuck between a rock and a hard place and just have to wait it out.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They haven't added the luxury tax on the original vehicle one we ordered. But if we were to buy from a different dealer they would. Feel were stuck between a rock and a hard place and just have to wait it out.
Unless you have a bill of sale and paid for before Sept 1 you will be paying the tax with the one you ordered as well .
It’s only 10% on the value over the 100k
10g over is a $1000 in tax .
Still stupid and still a tax .

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's calculated as the lesser of either 10% of the entire price or 20% of the price above $100k.

So as an example on $120k
(10% of $120k = $12k) or
(20% of $20k = $4k)

So the luxury tax is $4k

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I get that There's a few things that contribute to the 10g. Apparently when we signed we just made the cut off for a 2022. Now it will be a 2023 which has the higher cost probably due to all this inflation and the luxury tax. I think we're stuck just waiting. I don't want to spend a bunch of extra money to get the same thing

Top Bottom