Ways to de-tune a 800?

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on ways to detune a 800? Basically I want to lose the snap of a 800 to a 600.

I'm thinking load the clutch up with weights to make it a bit boggier, and not quite hit max rpm. How hard would this be on the motor or no bad effects?

What other ideas? I've thought of a throttle stop bit it just limits the top end and not the bottom end grunt.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts on ways to detune a 800? Basically I want to lose the snap of a 800 to a 600.

I'm thinking load the clutch up with weights to make it a bit boggier, and not quite hit max rpm. How hard would this be on the motor or no bad effects?

What other ideas? I've thought of a throttle stop bit it just limits the top end and not the bottom end grunt.

put in a doo engine....???:D

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just change your primary spring. Sounds like you still want top end but engagement is hitting hard.
If a 160-350? primary spring
drop to 130-350 and if still not enough go to 100 start .
If you want top end to not pull rpm drop it also.
130/320 and so on.
Hope this helps

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason I want to detune it is to let the wife get used to the difference of a 800 vs 600. I know how she is and how she learns so I know I don't want to throw her on a 800, scare herself and then not go riding anymore.

The reason I want an 800 is we'll be looking at a used sled. There's about 6 600's on kijiji and 80 800's. it's easy to figure out which one you'll get the better deal on. Plus the idea is to get her up to the next step without having to buy another sled next year. The amount that I would lose in trading in sleds will be a lot more than if I can accomplish the same thing through simple clutching.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The reason I want to detune it is to let the wife get used to the difference of a 800 vs 600. I know how she is and how she learns so I know I don't want to throw her on a 800, scare herself and then not go riding anymore.

The reason I want an 800 is we'll be looking at a used sled. There's about 6 600's on kijiji and 80 800's. it's easy to figure out which one you'll get the better deal on. Plus the idea is to get her up to the next step without having to buy another sled next year. The amount that I would lose in trading in sleds will be a lot more than if I can accomplish the same thing through simple clutching.

600's are generally easier handling sleds. So, it may be easier handling for her....go for the 600

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tape idea is good or unhook the power valves. The clutch spring may work but may make it too trenchy to get up on the snow resulting in more stucks.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600's have less power and are not easier to ride, wife tried a 600 pro last year and found my 800 much better

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just change your primary spring. Sounds like you still want top end but engagement is hitting hard.
If a 160-350? primary spring
drop to 130-350 and if still not enough go to 100 start .
If you want top end to not pull rpm drop it also.
130/320 and so on.
Hope this helps

fully agree with this. best way to do it and it is cheap and easy to change back

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail or mtn riding?? The first sled my wife ever rode was a 800,
like mentioned above just change out the primary spring and get a lower engaugement. Could also gear the sled up to take away more snappiness.

Could fool her and put a 600 sticker In place of the 800. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom