water temp guage wiring

98670X

Reaction score
hey all , im gunna put a 91 mach 1 temp guage on my 98 summitx. 4 wires, im thinkin Red-power,light Green-ground yellow and brown get tied together and tied in to my watertemp sensor line. not big on wireing but am i close?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey all , im gunna put a 91 mach 1 temp guage on my 98 summitx. 4 wires, im thinkin Red-power,light Green-ground yellow and brown get tied together and tied in to my watertemp sensor line. not big on wireing but am i close?

usually yellow is power and brown/black is ground. I wouldn't tie them together...:) Most temp wires on Doo have a purple in there, usually at least one striped wire too (at least my experience). Is this on the back of the gauge or on the sled?

You can buy the water temp kits from Doo,gauge, wires and sender, total package - they will plug right in, need the new sender in your head anyway (not sure if you got it from the Mach 1). The stock sender for the idiot light is just a switch, the temp gauge sender is a variable potentiometer/resistor I think, they are different is all that I know.

There is a jumper kit for the stock wiring, all you have to do cut hole for gauge and install it, install sender and plug in the wires.

98670X

Reaction score
i didnt know that one on the head is just a dummy. those are the colors coming out the back of the guage.
when i got the sled half the harness was takin out , along with dpm, oil res, and a smaller coolent bottle was put in, so i have a whack of wires taped to the water hose.
had a digitron that is all screwed up and an after maket water temp guage that was all wired in but someone went and cut the line, i spliced it back together run the sled for a couple of minutes and it didnt read anything.
anyways thanks for the reply

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, you need to replace the temp sensor on the motor...... Modman is correct in that the sensor on the head is just basically an on off switch for temp idiot lites...... You can get the sensors from doo for about $25 i think..... They are variable resistor type sensors, so the guage will work properly............ Like modman said the complete temp gauge kit from doo is about $125 and is complete with guage, sending unit and complete instructions..... Just sayin'

hope that helped a little too

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i didnt know that one on the head is just a dummy. those are the colors coming out the back of the guage.
when i got the sled half the harness was takin out , along with dpm, oil res, and a smaller coolent bottle was put in, so i have a whack of wires taped to the water hose.
had a digitron that is all screwed up and an after maket water temp guage that was all wired in but someone went and cut the line, i spliced it back together run the sled for a couple of minutes and it didnt read anything.
anyways thanks for the reply

Mine takes about 10 mins tostart showing on the gauge. Might want to run it for a little longer and see if it comes up in temp.

Top Bottom