Temp gauge troubles.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum,but with no answers yet,I thought I would post it here as well.

I have a 98 summit x with a temp gauge installed by previous owner.From stone cold to full

operating temp the needle moves approx 1/4". The needle has a sweep of approx 120 deg,but
I'm getting 10-20 deg. out of it....
Cold the resistance is 200+ with wires disconnected from the temp sensor 120 ohms at room
temp and about 60 when the thermostat opens and the engine is at operating temp.

When wires are connected to the sending unit I have-(sled running)
12 volts going in (yellow) and 6 volts coming out(violet) at full temp. Does anyone remember
what their voltages were when they have worked on similar problems?
To try and narrow down the possible problems,I removed the gauge from the sled and applied
12volts to yellow,ground to yellow/black,if I apply 12 volts to violet the gauge will climb to the bottom of the red or approx 3/4 If I apply ground to violet the gauge will max out to the top of the red.From this I assume the gauge is working properly and the problem must lie with the sending unit.
What I don't know yet (too late tonight to run the sled)is does the voltage start high then as the sending unit heats up the voltage lowers,or is it the opposite when it's cold it let's no voltage through
and as it heat's up it let's more and more voltage through?

Does anyone know the ohms range or voltage range of a working temp sensor?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
google search on sending units said "gauge sending units utilize a heat conductor disc that is attached to an electrically conductive spring that allows more voltage through the circuit as the engine temperature increases."

Top Bottom