Water in oil

hamwallet

Reaction score
He guys, bogged my bike over the weekend, just wondering the best way to get er all cleaned out. Oil is looking pretty milky.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
He guys, bogged my bike over the weekend, just wondering the best way to get er all cleaned out. Oil is looking pretty milky.

Many changes.......drain oil.....pull plug.....turn over (kick over)till water is done comming out.......change filter......put in 1.5L of oil(for a quad not sure what capacity on a bike is....2/3 total volume)....run for 30 sec.....repete until no signs of water in the oil...

You can reuse the new filter for all the flushes and then put another new one in for the final change.....

Been there....LOTS.....:d:d

wet airbox.jpg

Last edited:

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm having milky oil issues in my YZ these days as well, I've changed the oil a couple times recently and when I go to check it it still looks like chocolate milk - I thought it may have been when I bogged out in a water hole a while ago but it still seems to be the same thing and my coolant level is fine so there's no leakage there...is it possible that it could be a head gasket leakin or is it still flushing water out of the engine from playin in the water a bit?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm having milky oil issues in my YZ these days as well, I've changed the oil a couple times recently and when I go to check it it still looks like chocolate milk - I thought it may have been when I bogged out in a water hole a while ago but it still seems to be the same thing and my coolant level is fine so there's no leakage there...is it possible that it could be a head gasket leakin or is it still flushing water out of the engine from playin in the water a bit?

Probably still finding water in there from the previous swamping.....it hides...
Drain it , pull filter, pull plug and kick it over until nothing comes out of the plug hole.....Took 5 flushes for me last time.......;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is this tranny oil or motor oil? no drawdown on the coolant reservoir would lead me to believe that its not a head gasket problem, you should see some drawdown on the coolant and the plug should look yellow. Not sure how the cooling system routes on your bike but the head gasket wouldn't likely be the culprit anyway (your bike is a 2 stroke right? so it shouldn't have an oil bath in the crankcase) since the coolant runs only in the cylinder and crankcase, I think the only oil there is in the tranny, correct me if I'm wrong pls. If the colour does not seem to be improving with each oil change, then I would suspect possible oil contamination from leaking seals elsewhere.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the tranny oil, the only oil I change every couple rides in my bike... motor oil I mix with my fuel....? Anyway It doesn't seem to be gettin better..yet. Ppl have told me to check the coolant, and I have and it's no leaking..other people tell me it's the waterpump leakin in there...I have no idea really it's the first problem i've had with the bike so i'm tryin to determine the problem and get is solved righ away!

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a fully submerged bath last fall, I had to re-fill, go for a short ride, and drain 5 times before it came out looking like oil.

Learning from my mistakes, when getting rid of water, do not waste 5 oil changes with your super-expensive Motorex full-synthetic race oil, leaving only the dusty old bottle of cheap stuff to put in and go riding.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the tranny oil, the only oil I change every couple rides in my bike... motor oil I mix with my fuel....? Anyway It doesn't seem to be gettin better..yet. Ppl have told me to check the coolant, and I have and it's no leaking..other people tell me it's the waterpump leakin in there...I have no idea really it's the first problem i've had with the bike so i'm tryin to determine the problem and get is solved righ away!

How many times have you changed the oil? Usually if there is a leaky seal, when parked in the garage, your bike will leave a nice spot on the floor. No spots? If there are no spots then this would then lead me to believe that you got good seals but some water in the breather when you drowned it, but if you have changed it about 5-6 times and no improvement, then I don't know what to say. Is it possible that its the oil itself? Did you change brands and this is what the new oil looks like all the time (and its natural?)?

Figure out where the breather for the tranny vents to (bottom tray in the airbox?), maybe there is some water left in the line that keeps getting back in there? Maybe the breather hose is pinched or plugged and it keeps getting condensation in there (bike gets hot and then cools and water vapour condenses on the inside of the tranny case)?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I think I've only changed the oil twice since I've noticed the milkiness. Before that it was really metallicy as I think the bike was just breakin in or the oil was never changed in it at all (it was shipped from the states and was told it was only ridden a few times) I will keep an eye on the oil the next couple of changes to see if it improves. Haven't noticed any leaks or spots on the garage floor, or trailer...I use that Gear Saver oil and it is red in color and in fact we did switch after maybe the 2nd oil change, but considering the oil goes in a clear-red, and comes out thick and brown concerned me but I have done numerous water obstacles on the bike before hand and led me to beleive that is why i was getting water in it. Thanks for your help & advice Modman, I won't get too worried yet and start callin up people to start fixin it, I will wait it out and do a couple more oil changes to see if it gets better.

Thnx!

hamwallet

Reaction score
Hey YZgirl,

I think we have the same bike? The milky color is definately from bogging it. Give your oil a little smell and you'll smell the coolant if it is from leaking seals. Smells really sweet. Even when you run it you'll smell it real bad. It will burn a whitish color out the rear. I some people may have told you the milky color is from broken seals but that is only if your bike is water cooled. Which it isn't....

On my bike the transmission oil and motor oil are the same thing not two different types.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll switch out the oil filter and giver a few changes with the cheap stuff. I'll keep you posted.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I think I've only changed the oil twice since I've noticed the milkiness. Before that it was really metallicy as I think the bike was just breakin in or the oil was never changed in it at all (it was shipped from the states and was told it was only ridden a few times) I will keep an eye on the oil the next couple of changes to see if it improves. Haven't noticed any leaks or spots on the garage floor, or trailer...I use that Gear Saver oil and it is red in color and in fact we did switch after maybe the 2nd oil change, but considering the oil goes in a clear-red, and comes out thick and brown concerned me but I have done numerous water obstacles on the bike before hand and led me to beleive that is why i was getting water in it. Thanks for your help & advice Modman, I won't get too worried yet and start callin up people to start fixin it, I will wait it out and do a couple more oil changes to see if it gets better.

Thnx!

Yes, I have a hard time believing that you have a seal leak on a brand new bike, didn't figure that would be the culprit, but ya never know. Make sure there is no water in the tranny breather line(s), this will just keep re-contaminating the oil when you change it. Most times they route to the bottom of the air box and if you got some water up in there when you took it swimming, it might be sloshing around a little bit and getting into the breather line. It doesn't take much water to turn oil milky.

I would say that if it doesn't improve after a couple more oil changes, you might have to move to a dessicant to dry it out. A little trick to keep any loose metal in the crankcases etc and not floating around in the oil is to get some rare earth magnets (can get them at Princess Auto for $3.99) and stick them directly beside the oil drain plug or somewhere near there on the outside of the crankcase (normally they don't stick to aluminum so you have to find a spot where they will stick - like near the steel drain plug). If you have an external filter, you can stick them right onto the outside of the filter. These magnets are really strong and will hold any ferrous metal particles wherever the magnet is placed. My bike has an internal filter so I just stick them on the drain plug and the filter plate bolt that holds the filter in.

When you change the oil, you pull them off and all the metal particles drain out with the oil. We used a larger magnet on our race cars, attached is a link.

There is a lot of added verbage (fancy words) on this site, but basically the premise is the same one that everyone learns in junior high where you can move a magnet on top of a table by moving one underneath the table, the magnetic fields are still present. Sticking a magnet on the outside of your crankcase/oil filter, will hold the metal particles in place inside the filter. I only mention this becuz you indicated there were some metal flakes in a previous oil change, this will help get any that are still lingering in the system and pick up any new ones that develop.

yzgirl09

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i've also seen magnetic drain plugs/bolts, maybe i'm mistaken but I think my BF may have one of these on his bike as one time he changed his oil and filings were stuck to the drain plug like flies on poop

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think i've also seen magnetic drain plugs/bolts, maybe i'm mistaken but I think my BF may have one of these on his bike as one time he changed his oil and filings were stuck to the drain plug like flies on poop

Most drain plugs are magnetic (little magnet in the tip) but these magnets are a lot stronger. I put two of them on the oil filter in my truck and the car, no more little metal filings on the oil filter drain plug, holds it all in the filter where it belongs.

Top Bottom