Warn Winch Synthetic Rope vrs Wire Rope

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I just purchased a Warn winch with the Synthetic Rope rather than the Wire rope. I was a little iffy on this decision but after doing so I wouldn't go back. This seems to find its own way back in the spool without guidance, it doesn't frey, its very flexible you can winch to a tree that is beside you with no problems. I was worried when the cable is wet and your wrapping on the spool but that doesn't seem to be an issue at all. I did by a sling for wrapping around tree's or other quads for protecting the line.

Here is a link to the warn site
Warn Industries - Extreme Terrain Series

There is a video at the bottom, watch this.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
synthetic rope is the best. i will never go back to wire rope again.only thing i have heard to watch out for is if it is wet when you spool it and it is cold outside it may freeze together. the simple fix was to pull it out with the machine though. no worse than a kinked wire rope. oh and i use mine all the time, i have a honda and i dont back away from mud holes. lol.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got mine from ebay 2 50' lengths for 44 US. Only thing is you have to watch to make sure that it does not wrap around the drum when you are winching sidways. Did this once and i had to take the winch apart to get it out. But i have yet to break mine and its about 1.5 years old. Also there is a shop in calgary and edmonton that has that rope in bulk and it is really cheap. It is also the amsteel synthetic line dealer for canada.

SQUIRTIS

Reaction score
i got mine from ebay 2 50' lengths for 44 US. Only thing is you have to watch to make sure that it does not wrap around the drum when you are winching sidways. Did this once and i had to take the winch apart to get it out. But i have yet to break mine and its about 1.5 years old. Also there is a shop in calgary and edmonton that has that rope in bulk and it is really cheap. It is also the amsteel synthetic line dealer for canada.

Do u know where this is in edmonton????:d

_Stevo_

Reaction score
So i just snapped my synthetic rope today. Has anyone else snapped there synthetic rope?

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
So i just snapped my synthetic rope today. Has anyone else snapped there synthetic rope?

Must of been stuck good? Where abouts did it snap? Will they replace it for free. When I was doing the video shoot by Rocky Mountain House I rolled and lost my remote and broke my mount. Next time I'll just keep that in my pocket.:d

_Stevo_

Reaction score
It snapped the line about five feet from the hook. so hows that bumper holding up to the abuse? lets see some pics of it?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Must of been stuck good? Where abouts did it snap? Will they replace it for free. When I was doing the video shoot by Rocky Mountain House I rolled and lost my remote and broke my mount. Next time I'll just keep that in my pocket.:d

How much did you pay for the winch Ron?I think mine went south last weekend!
catmando!

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you been wrapping around trees maybe that freyed the line. Just guessing because ive been stuck in literal quick sand next to river up to fenders. You know the stuff that sucks in your boots so you cant move. The winch gears stripped out and I was towed with same line. Im quite impressed so far.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay for the winch Ron?I think mine went south last weekend!
catmando!
Take it apart or take it to Interior Offroad for service. Its probubly just gummed up with mud and starting to slip the gears. Its alot cheaper to look that to buy a new one.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Take it apart or take it to Interior Offroad for service. Its probubly just gummed up with mud and starting to slip the gears. Its alot cheaper to look that to buy a new one.
The new warns like in the picture above are now totally sealed and are all steel inside.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh sorry I thought it was an old one like I have on the rear of my popo. I have a 3000# new one on the front. The old one I can take apart and repair, maintaine the new one :eek: have you seen the parts list? I hope it doesnt go.

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Last spring we where riding and one of my buddys bought synthetic rope from Ebay real good deal cheap and it broke, now he has 2 of them:ha_ha:
The warn rope won't break but it costs more.

BruteCamo

Reaction score
Anybody looking for Amsteel can give Darren at CND Rope a call. 780 440-2102
He has winchlines premade for ATV's, UTV's and Trucks.

DIYtruckoutfit

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Anybody looking for Amsteel can give Darren at CND Rope a call. 780 440-2102
He has winchlines premade for ATV's, UTV's and Trucks.

I called CND Rope and a 50ft X 1/4" was just over $100.00. Called and asked for Darren but he was not in. How much is the Warn brand locally in Edmonton.

farmboy020

Reaction score
hey guys in a warn 2500 winch how long of synthetic rope and what size for width would you put in.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running the rope since 04. Love it. Yes it wears and frays if you wrap it around things. I've had one snap a couple of years ago....tied a knot in it....kept running it. Can't do that with cable. Also, lose the roller fairleads. All the rope suppliers suggest smooth fairleads. I resisted (like most of you probably) thinking it will be fine with the roller....it won't. If the fairlead is NEW you'll likely be OK. The problem is using a fairlead that was used with cable in the mud for a decent period of time. The rollers get rough spots and burrs on them....not good for the rope. That, coupled with the inevitability that the rollers will eventually sieze solid with mud will cut up your fancy rope. There are nice machined aluminum ones available....pricey...and a cool plastic one I found on E-bay....cheap...that work great.

Top Bottom