Wanted info on Avy @ chocolate bowl

v10rider

Reaction score
We dug him out, went from an epic day to tragic in a matter of moments. Ride safe, over cautious never hurts.

RIP

I am sure you guys did your best. It would be very valuable if you could share what really happened and what you would have done different for all of us to learn. The details from the media sometimes can be inaccurate.

I know it is too easy sometimes to ignore the signs around you when it is sunny with 3ft of fresh. We have all fallen into the powder lure many times...............

sled-fiend

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.raintek.ca
I am sure you guys did your best. It would be very valuable if you could share what really happened and what you would have done different for all of us to learn. The details from the media sometimes can be inaccurate.

I know it is too easy sometimes to ignore the signs around you when it is sunny with 3ft of fresh. We have all fallen into the powder lure many times...............

Out of respect for the family I'm not going to get into too much specific detail. I'm sure they and others are already having a very tough time trying to cope with the loss, I dont want to start saying, "if this was done" or "that shouldn't have happened" etc. I will however make a few key points that I feel could make any burial rescue more effective and preventable.

1- One person on a hill at a time.

2- In the event of a burial, make sure EVERYONE has their beacon set to search NOT SEND. This may sound like a given, but in the event of panic, some people cant think straight. If you cant figure out your beacon, take the batteries out, simple. Chasing around an unnecessary signal can rob valuable time.

3- If your carrying a cell phone, or any other device that transmits radio waves turn it off during the search.

4- Spend the 20 seconds to organize the search and the digging. Yes it is hard to stop and regroup when a fellow sledder is buried and fighting for his life, but that will be time very well spent. As others arrive on the scene have someone dedicated to addressing them.

5- This would be strictly IMO, If your in the middle of the backcountry, time would be much better spent, searching, probing, or digging than trying to get reception to call S&R. If they are going to have to send a chopper out, chances are by the time they got their it would be too late. Put that energy towards locating and exposing the victim.

6- Take the time to go over the small details like the above with your buddies in the parking lot before each ride. Keep it fresh in your mind.

Yesterday went from one of the best rides of my life (bluebird, deep pow, sled running excellent etc) to an absolute tragedy in a matter of moments.

A heartfelt thanks to all who participated in the search, and rescue attempt, an unimaginable amount of effort was put into saving this man's life from friends and strangers alike.

RIP Dennis and condolences to friends and family.

Feel free to critique this post, correct me or add your 2 cents, I'm no expert and any words of wisdom can only benefit all.

Last edited:

pinkpantherusmincus

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for those in the sea to sky, be careful, was out sproatt/gin/rainbow today, lost of natural slides size 1-4. when i say a lot, i mean >10. watch out for run out zones.

Top Bottom