Want to stud tires for winter

Jimbow007

Reaction score
I have two quads that will need better traction for the winter. Has anyone experience with studding tires? Good or Bad I just need to be pointed in the right direction on where to start.

James

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did a few last year for me and a buddy. I put 125 - 5/8" studs into each rear tire (Maxxis Razer), and 50ish into each front. Makes an incredible difference. Second and third gear wheelies (Predator 500) on pure ice. I also did buddie's Bear Claws on his Raptor. My outlander 800 couldn't catch him on the river. I sold the Predator and bought an Outlaw, I will be studding it this year as well. I bought a box of 1000 - 5/8" studs for $105.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, it's super easy to do. Just a 1/4" socket on a cordless drill, 3 or 4 beer, a couple of hours and you're done. It's a good idea to get at least a single row in the front tires, just for steering in the corners.

Jimbow007

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have to head out and get a case of Beer and some studs. Might see you out on the Blindman or Sylvan Lk this year.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure. As long as the weather isn't miserable, the sport quads are a ton of fun on the river. We'll hit it lots this year.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studded tires are a good time !! If you are interested I have 4 tires with studs in them mounted on rims I would like to get rid of

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They`re up in the loft. They are 25"x10x12" Dunlop at195. The rims are 12"x4/110.The studs are the gold Studboys?. I do have 4 of these set up and I would like $60.00 a piece. for rim, tire and studs.

Attachments

• Oct 1609 001.jpg
    Oct 1609 001.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Oct 1609 004.jpg
    Oct 1609 004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Oct 1609 003.jpg
    Oct 1609 003.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Price is right, but wrong size. I don't imagine you will have a hard time getting rid of those.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ran the maxxis 4 snow tires on the back of my yfz 450 and had great results, great in the snow and actaully pretty good on the ice, 3rd gear power wheelies on ice with water on it.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiqJC9w4Xoc[/media]

this hill had a good amount of snow on it, i got stuck coming down it once and it was up to my rear fenders.
DSC00070.jpg

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention, it's super easy to do. Just a 1/4" socket on a cordless drill, 3 or 4 beer, a couple of hours and you're done. It's a good idea to get at least a single row in the front tires, just for steering in the corners.

Years ago I had a buddy with a Quadracer and he studded up his rear tires pretty good and put none in his front tires. Well he was pretty cocky while we were unloading our quads saying " Man, I going to kick you guys out on the river !!! " Laughing at us as he was doing cat-walks around the parking area. Well, we got to the river and he took off like a bullet, UNTIL the first corner !!! He couldn't turn what so ever, even with leaning way over the handle bars. All he could do was go straight !!! Boy, did we laugh !!! He would go good on the straight aways but we would always catch up on the corners. Boy, was he mad !! He went home after that and put some in his front tires too !!!

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago I had a buddy with a Quadracer and he studded up his rear tires pretty good and put none in his front tires. Well he was pretty cocky while we were unloading our quads saying " Man, I going to kick you guys out on the river !!! " Laughing at us as he was doing cat-walks around the parking area. Well, we got to the river and he took off like a bullet, UNTIL the first corner !!! He couldn't turn what so ever, even with leaning way over the handle bars. All he could do was go straight !!! Boy, did we laugh !!! He would go good on the straight aways but we would always catch up on the corners. Boy, was he mad !! He went home after that and put some in his front tires too !!!

Same thing happened to us last year. We run a couple hundred studs in buddies rear tires on his Raptor but none in the front. Figured he would kick my 800's azz, and on the straights he did, but get into the corners, and he was like a fish out of water. It was still a lot of fun, but that night we run a handful into the fronts, made a world of difference.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have two quads that will need better traction for the winter. Has anyone experience with studding tires? Good or Bad I just need to be pointed in the right direction on where to start.

James

Ice is nice......with studded tires. I have two set's for my Banshee. The biggest thing, as soon as you cross pavement, they are not that good any more. I have raced the Numb Bum, for 6 years. 4 on bikes, 2 on quads. If you would like any help, please let me know.

Best advice I can give. ALWAY'S use new tires. Over inflate the tires, when you put them in. When you put them back to normal psi. The rubber, compress's around the threads. Also TOO MANY. will make the front or back skate. Use a smaller rear tire, and/or change your gearing as well.

;):beer::beer::d

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They`re up in the loft. They are 25"x10x12" Dunlop at195. The rims are 12"x4/110.The studs are the gold Studboys?. I do have 4 of these set up and I would like $60.00 a piece. for rim, tire and studs.

Do you still have these kicking around?

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I do, I have 4 wheels with 4 studded tires. LOL Now that we have snow and things are freezing, maybe someone will take them.

Top Bottom