Want to sled again this winter - m8 advice

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been absent from sledding for quite a few years since with one thing or another - this is the winter I want to get sledding again.

I am interested in the M8 but have been gone for too long to know what was good or bad over the last few years.

Looking at 2009 and up - what are the best years and set ups. It will be Mountain Riding only for me.

Little lost on the terminology as I look HCR, Sno Pro, 800 HO.

Advice would be appreciated. Also interested in new non current sleds.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are a very reliable sled. I don't think you can beat that 800 engine! The chassis is a bit dated I am sure a few others will tell you to lol! I would go 2010 or newer they got a few more hp's! And if you buy it do the diamond drive bearing update and drive it like you stole it.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ooooh boy, lets get er started lol. Maxwell, snopro u got any non biased advice? ;)

If ur lookin non current and like the ride of a cat u cant go wrong with a 10-11 m8, awesome machines besides what some will try and tell u, good luck gettin a definitive answer from the forum tho. Theres a lot of factors to consider, ur gonna have to give more info on what it is u like or are looking for then it may be easier to decipher the internets bs on to what would suit u best.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok started with a 98 Powder Special 600 loved it had a D&D pipe and chip on it, then cat came out with the 2001 Mountain Cat LE 800 (can still see the snowcheck brocure print '140 Mountain shrinking horses') - it was a total dog so jumped ship and rode Polaris. Had a Mountain Magic Gen II 700 all tricked up and lighweight then a 2002 Polaris 800 RMK Edge 144, then Yamaha Apex and Nytro. All the while I was admiring the M8 and thinking that CAT had got them working well right out of the box.

My question - is the Sno Pro the snowcheck version and what did that come from as different than regular. The earlier years the LE was the Limited Edition snowcheck - it gave a wider ski stance (never understood that on a mountain sled) and usually a different shock set up. I want something that is very adequate right out of the box. Dont want to jet or tune - just ride. I really liked the yamahas for that but just too heavy in stock form.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09 10 11 are nice years. HCR Hill climb racer.. wider ski stance a 153" track stiffer track.. good for climbing but could typically get stuck in deep play easier. When I was on the Main Jet HCR they narrowed the ski stance. I liked the stability when I had to climb monster ruts, but it was more effort to ride than an Regular M8. Sno pro.. fox float shocks as opposed to coil shocks.. you'll get mixed reviews on them.. either you love em or you hate em. I really loved the 162" track of my husband's sno pro.. Granted that sled was boosted, but it was way easier in the trees than my 08 M8. The 11M8 LTD came with extra bags and a back pack on top of the snopro package.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya basically the only difference on the snopro m8's to regular ones were graphics/colors, shocks (fox floats) and upgraded tach, i may be missing somethin but i think thats all. If u dont wanna mess with carbs and jetting for the years your contemplating you cant go wrong with the m8's efi system. Good high reliable hp, awesome handling, switch the diamond drive bearing to a double wide like neilsledder said, pull once and ride the shyt outta her,,,, u wont be disappointed

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok started with a 98 Powder Special 600 loved it had a D&D pipe and chip on it, then cat came out with the 2001 Mountain Cat LE 800 (can still see the snowcheck brocure print '140 Mountain shrinking horses') - it was a total dog so jumped ship and rode Polaris. Had a Mountain Magic Gen II 700 all tricked up and lighweight then a 2002 Polaris 800 RMK Edge 144, then Yamaha Apex and Nytro. All the while I was admiring the M8 and thinking that CAT had got them working well right out of the box.

My question - is the Sno Pro the snowcheck version and what did that come from as different than regular. The earlier years the LE was the Limited Edition snowcheck - it gave a wider ski stance (never understood that on a mountain sled) and usually a different shock set up. I want something that is very adequate right out of the box. Dont want to jet or tune - just ride. I really liked the yamahas for that but just too heavy in stock form.

Puter decided to post my reply twice... I will interrupt this posting for the following service announcement........

No I am not on drugs.... Just say no Kids.

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
10-11M8 is a solid sled, get a jaws can lose 10lbs and give it a little bark and ride the machine, never a bad idea to do the diamond drive wide bearing upgrade before the season starts, sno pro and limited have a different gauge clusterm and the limited has a few things like goggle bag and puke green plastic(looks good in the snow though) that isn't standard on the other ones, the goggle bag is cheap and easy to install and definitely a good addition

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
09 10 11 are nice years. HCR Hill climb racer.. wider ski stance a 153" track stiffer track.. good for climbing but could typically get stuck in deep play easier. When I was on the Main Jet HCR they narrowed the ski stance. I liked the stability when I had to climb monster ruts, but it was more effort to ride than an Regular M8. Sno pro.. fox float shocks as opposed to coil shocks.. you'll get mixed reviews on them.. either you love em or you hate em. I really loved the 162" track of my husband's sno pro.. Granted that sled was boosted, but it was way easier in the trees than my 08 M8. The 11M8 LTD came with extra bags and a back pack on top of the snopro package. These sleds are EFI no Jetting.
Thats right momma u tell him........twice! :d

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should have simply posted, : These sleds are efi.. no jetting required.. but a big YUP on the can aspect.. Lose the heavy suitcase. My husband put a NPP can on my 08 M8. it was awesome.. and go 162.. bigger really is better in this situation.... more flotation

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so looking through kijiji.

2011 m8 153 SP LE will have the regular ski stance, fox floats, be EFI, And because it is the LE was the snowcheck version that would come with tunnel bags and different graphics? Is that correct?

Also as it is a dealer new non current is the wide bearing for the diamond drive a recall that the dealer would have done or is it just a suggested improvement?

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggested improvement, I change my oil every 500km and at 1600km no filings or pieces showing in the oil so I'm playing with fire possibly but it will be done preseason this year, also the fox floats are hit and miss from my experience, there are two in my group with them and both have had issues but neither are running the protector boots, also the 11's had a rear shock(burandt update) done from the factory that is a noticeable difference, my 11 is a standard HO with bdx air intake to make hood removal for spring riding easy, a jaws can, low windshield to keep down the lost windshield clips when rolling out of stucks and xxxmodrods board inserts, and slydog skis, it's a pull and go sled and all the mods were under 1500 in total, cut 15lbs off the dry weight and not only changed the look they all really help the functionality of the sled, not saying they're a must but they all make it a little nicer all around

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your dead set on a cat m8?

Lots of other nice sleds out there too.

The m8 is a good solid sled with minimal issues but just keep in mind its a 7 year old chassis. So although the price is nice it is oooold tech.

Just something to consider

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The m8 is a good solid sled with minimal issues but just keep in mind its a 7 year old chassis. So although the price is nice it is oooold tech.

Oh no.......you didnt just suggest something other than buying an M8 did you??

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

damn it!
was trying to get in before you!! LOL!

as Max said, sure you wanna M8? ;)
just sayin ..... (too) haha!

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at any 2012's? They had their issues but if you found one with the bugs worked out IMO they are a much better sled in the new chassis. I just can't used the old M style chassis. I spent some time on my buddies 2012 and it was nice and smooth and rider position was good. Personal preference though...if you haven't ridden any of the rider forward sleds than the older chassis might not feel so awkward to you. I would think you could pick up a good used low miler with some goodies for 10k. If i was buying a cat I'd take my chances on a 2012 before going to the old chassis.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at any 2012's? They had their issues but if you found one with the bugs worked out IMO they are a much better sled in the new chassis. I just can't used the old M style chassis. I spent some time on my buddies 2012 and it was nice and smooth and rider position was good. Personal preference though...if you haven't ridden any of the rider forward sleds than the older chassis might not feel so awkward to you. I would think you could pick up a good used low miler with some goodies for 10k. If i was buying a cat I'd take my chances on a 2012 before going to the old chassis.

Bingo. Forsure. Might be 1000 cheaper to get an 11 M8 but essentially its MUCH older

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh no.......you didnt just suggest something other than buying an M8 did you??

You should see all the cute little baby clothes Aunty Trish has for your little bun in the oven....... Muh ha ha haaaaaaaaa

Top Bottom